PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are you happy with our LB situation this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh puh-leeze, I've managed to get a post count to make Keegs envious without repetitiously saying an individual(s) sucks and BB needs his head examined. Discussing the Pats' moves and activities doesn't need to be whine-a-thon, I-paid-for-my-right-to-boo-a-winning-team biatchfest as some around here have demanded. There is room to discuss all the implications of the team's moves without decending into second guessing. As Pats1 was pointing out in the Seau thread, the LB corps hasn't been all that deep over BB's tenure. Given the closest BB came to changing his M.O. was the report from Reiss of warroom groans after Philly selected a Nebraska LB at #87, we can all drool over LBs in next season's draft class, but BB is still shopping in the discount aisle if the highest LB/LB-conversion he's drafted has been a 5th rounder (2001/2005, http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/NE).

As for sleep, the joy of long naps brought about by medicinal side affects is late night wakefulness. The grumpiness I throw in free. :D

Colvin got injured, but i believe Colvin, Vrabel, McGinest, Bruschi, TJ, Phifer and Chatham was pretty deep.

Do I misremember?

And Pats1 defended the usefulness of Marquise Hill over 4 pages with me winning every point until I gave up.

Pats1's opinion is, if he's on the Patriots, he is the best possible player at that position and the result of a brilliant BB strategy.:)

By the way, Pats1, I apologize for addressing you in a thread you're not in, but Box brought you up as the authority on historic LB depth.

If I was happy with every move and every player on the Patriots by default, I can't imagine why I would bother posting here.

Last edited:
Colvin got injured, but i believe Colvin, Vrabel, McGinest, Bruschi, TJ, Phifer and Chatham was pretty deep.

Do I misremember?

If I was happy with every move and every player on the Patriots by default, I can't imagine why I would bother posting here.
You only post when you're unhappy? Please seek professional help! :eek:

You've just listed six LBs, one of whom is a career Special Teams' Ace, leaving five linebackers to rotate in consistently...how is that different from this season (assuming Seau is re-signed)? Not to mention Colvin was still rehabbing in 2004. If you don't care for Pats1's roster analysis, list your own, here's a handy link to historical rosters to start you off. http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=2005Roster

The bottom line my friend, this current roster is no worse off than past year's rosters. Seau's probable re-signing gives the team it's five man rotation, we'll just have to see how the youngsters who have replaced Davis, Chatham and TBC on the roster develop.

Colvin, Bruschi, Vrabel, Thomas, Seau.

I like Woods, I think he will see some snaps at OLB this year.
Eric Alexander is a good ST. And we did draft Oscar Lua, who I think is intriguing.

Of course, Larry Izzo is our ST ace.

You've just listed six LBs, one of whom is a career Special Teams' Ace, leaving five linebackers to rotate in consistently...how is that different from this season (assuming Seau is re-signed)? Not to mention Colvin was still rehabbing in 2004. If you don't care for Pats1's roster analysis, list your own, here's a handy link to historical rosters to start you off. http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=2005Roster

The bottom line my friend, this current roster is no worse off than past year's rosters. Seau's probable re-signing gives the team it's five man rotation, we'll just have to see how the youngsters who have replaced Davis, Chatham and TBC on the roster develop.

7 linebackers, one of whom filled in adequately when called upon.

Don't forget, when Bruschi retires, the last of the three Parcells draft choices we built around will be gone.

Some think we replace them with UDFA, but we're talking about the NCAA sack leader and third round pick, a second round pick and the 4th overall pick in the draft.

You can't say BB never picks linebackers in the draft without noting the 3 first day Patriots picks he built the defense around.

Here's an old post. Everybody knows the Pats have built their LB corps by converting low picks and UDFA DEs to linebacker.

Their's only one problem with that theory.

IT'S TOTAL AND UTTER B******.

The facts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Before they played a down. Compare that to the current crop.

Facts are facts:

Willie McGinest 1st round, (4th overall)

Roman Phifer 2nd round, (31st overall)

Ted Johnson 2nd round

Mike Vrabel 3rd round

Tedy Bruschi 3rd round

Rosevelt Colvin 4th round, (after 2 seasons in a row with 10.5 sacks).

Every single player was either a high round player or had NFL experience or both.

Bruschi was low day one, but he had led the nation in sacks, I believe.

Vrabel was from a major program in college and the pros and BB got a chance to evaluate him. Of course I'm making an excuse for him only being a 3rd rounder.

Colvin was the exception to day one, but after two 10.5 sack seasons, I guess BB figured he could rush the passer.

McGinest at 4th overall, not exactly a project.

Where are the unknown quantities here?

P.S. I didn't bother detailing Phifer's extensive NFL experience.

Happiness is relative, Box. Sometime next year I'll see a sign saying "leaving Tampa" and I'll be the happiest man in the world.

I'm accomplishing a lot of things I'm gratified about and will hopefully be well worth it in the future.

Happiness is relative, Box. Sometime next year I'll see a sign saying "leaving Tampa" and I'll be the happiest man in the world.

I'm accomplishing a lot of things I'm gratified about and will hopefully be well worth it in the future.

Last year, Seau was the 4th LB, this year he's the fifth. My personal opinion, is that eventually Vrabel will take over Bruschi's play-calling duties once he retires, and Thomas will move in and play ILB.

That's the advantage with Thomas, he has the flexibility to play both outside and inside.

Woods is my darkhorse player for improvement.

Facts are facts:

Willie McGinest 1st round, (4th overall)

Roman Phifer 2nd round, (31st overall)

Ted Johnson 2nd round

Mike Vrabel 3rd round

Tedy Bruschi 3rd round

Rosevelt Colvin 4th round, (after 2 seasons in a row with 10.5 sacks).

Every single player was either a high round player or had NFL experience or both.

Bruschi was low day one, but he had led the nation in sacks, I believe.

Vrabel was from a major program in college and the pros and BB got a chance to evaluate him. Of course I'm making an excuse for him only being a 3rd rounder.

Colvin was the exception to day one, but after two 10.5 sack seasons, I guess BB figured he could rush the passer.

McGinest at 4th overall, not exactly a project.

Where are the unknown quantities here?

P.S. I didn't bother detailing Phifer's extensive NFL experience.

Well Colvin didn't cost us a 4th, we let him "prove" himself with the Bears. We signed him in FA. Vrabel didn't cost a 3rd, he got his start covering kicks and spot-duty for the Steelers. Phifer didn't cost us a 2nd round pick, he was a vet that played in the league for awhile. Our new pickup, Adalius Thomas didn't cost us a draft pick (6th round), we let him "prove" himself with the Ravens.

The bottomline is BB has built the LB roster with Bruschi and FA. 2nd day guys play on ST, and who knows, maybe we will get lucky. Maybe Woods will become a starter. You may not like it, but that is how we have done it.

I've no doubt completing your education and getting started on your career will be an uplifting moment. Posting here may even be a form of self-directed therapy, though I might direct you to BB's oft used guidance for his players, focus on the things you can control and quite worrying about the ones you don't.

You aren't happy about the linebacker corps, I'm disappointed in the signing of Randy Moss (not the least was my desire to see #110 used on a higher ranked LB candidate), neither are things we control. I'm fairly confident I can dissect and comprehend what value the Moss decision represents to the team, so with a few grumbles about linebackers lost, I'm content to wait and be proven wrong. Like you, I have trouble following the slow development of the LB corps. Since we control neither, I'm not letting it dictate my happiness. The Seau signing last season wasn't one I was excited about, yet it worked out well (to the point where I'm excited about the news report this time around), suggesting BB has a better understanding of what he is doing then I do. TBC was not a failure, if not the triumph we'd have loved, they let him go, suggesting the lower cost options behind him may be at least as good - you can grumble, but this front office has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Be happy, it's time for a steamy summer in Tampa (which should mean less traffic with the blinker on) and our Pats are looking good for another deep playoff run - won't that make any local Fin fans cheerful!

Well Colvin didn't cost us a 4th, we let him "prove" himself with the Bears. We signed him in FA. Vrabel didn't cost a 3rd, he got his start covering kicks and spot-duty for the Steelers. Phifer didn't cost us a 2nd round pick, he was a vet that played in the league for awhile. Our new pickup, Adalius Thomas didn't cost us a draft pick (6th round), we let him "prove" himself with the Ravens.

The bottomline is BB has built the LB roster with Bruschi and FA. 2nd day guys play on ST, and who knows, maybe we will get lucky. Maybe Woods will become a starter. You may not like it, but that is how we have done it.

BB inherited Bruschi, McGinest and Ted Johnson from Parcells drafts.

He made 2 free agent pickups of guys in their prime and a third with Thomas.

I wish they could do this every year, but i doubt it. Maybe one of the UDFAs low picks will turn into a successful starter, but the point is, that isn't how we've done it, it would be unprecedented.

TBC is the only one who came close to being a dependable starter from our picks or FAs and he was benched for the AFC Championship. Chatham also filled in

I don't care if they never draft a linebacker, I just hate people repeating things that are wrong.

By September we'll have 5 LBs age 30 or older.

And I am happy with the Pats LB situation for this year.

I can't agree with people who thought we were fine without Seau and Thomas, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes