OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Are you proud of ashmamed of 18-1

• Proud of 16-0. Are you kidding ?

Votes: 59 60.8%
  • Ashamed that we dared to lose one game.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Who cares, it's the next season now.

Votes: 27 27.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ashamed?? No. Think it was a huge waste, a big nothing? Absolutely. Crushed at losing the SB? Completely.

Re: Are you ashamed of 18-1 ?

I've been a Patriots fan for forty plus years and I am extremely proud of the team that put up the greatest regular season mark of all time. I am however unable to totally shake the dissapointment I feel over the fact that they couldn't close the deal. As sweet as it was, what fan wouldn't give up that 16-0 mark for an 11-5 season and SB win????

looking back... i wouldn't trade this 16-0 season for a 10-6 SB. No way.

I would have loved to have won it all, dont get me wrong. But the fun of getting to 16-0 was something special. It was all about the journey last season. An emotional roller-coaster.

Last edited:
looking back... i wouldn't trade this 16-0 season for a 10-6 SB. No way.

Interesting logic...if you really feel that way then how would you classify the 2001 SB winning season? Seems some are just a 'tad' spoiled by success. Isn't a win in the SB the ultimate climax to any season? I'm sure if you ask anyone on the team they'd say it was.

Last edited:
Well...I stand corrected...at least one fan is satisfied without the ultimate prize..."not that there's anything wrong with that..."

I kinda agree with that guys point so let me defend a bit.

I wouldn't use the word Satisfied...I would stick with the original word "proud".

Was I proud of the A- I got on the test yes but was I satisfied...no I knew I could do better.

One problem I have is it is real tough to compare this 18-1 to the SB wins because 01 being the first one is prolly the most special and the two back to back had the streaks and solidified the Dynasty. But I might compare this 18-1 to an average SB win like the Giants win this year (not their first average season followed by spectacular postseason). Which team do you think has better memories of last season (spygate aside cause that sucked)?

"Ashamed" of 18-1 NO!!!..."Ashamed" of Bill Belichick YES..."Angry" we lost SB 42 , YOU BET!!!!!!

Don't forget the MNF Baltimore game, when we hung on to perfection by a thread. That was a GREAT game.

I'd classify that as Baltimore's "Super Bowl", just like the Philly game and the 2nd Jets game.

Which team do you think has better memories of last season (spygate aside cause that sucked)?

One thing that kills me about losing to the Giants is that they were dragging tail as usual through the first 15 weeks of the season, beating nobodies, losing to real teams, just showcasing how bad the NFC is (since they were the 1st wild-card). Hell, Coughlin was one play away from being fired after WEEK 3! Then they found some spark in the Buffalo game and then rallied to give us our biggest test of the regular season and then rode that wave into the Super Bowl. They got away with 15 weeks of average and 6 weeks of good enough. We had 18 weeks of good-to-spectacular and 1 bad week and we get the shaft. Unbelievable.

Interesting logic...if you really feel that way then how would you classify the 2001 SB winning season? Seems some are just a 'tad' spoiled by success. Isn't a win in the SB the ultimate climax to any season? I'm sure if you ask anyone on the team they'd say it was.

Well... '01 was a different experience all together. It was great (nothing is ever as good as the first).

Winning in '03 and '04 were also special and great in their own way.

But by the same token... 16-0 was special in even a different way. it was something I have never experienced as a fan before. Hell, not many fans will ever get to experience it.

The SB loss was crushing. Worst feeling I have ever felt as a sports fan. But now that i have had time to reflect on the season a little, Im just starting to appriciate how truely special it was. It was a great year to be a fan of the team from a football standpoint. We were treated to some really memorable games/wins. It was pretty damn awesome.

Last edited:
It's a weird phenomenon.

Yesterday I was giving a friend a hard time about Auburn-Alabama (he's a huge Auburn fan, I root for Saban) and he said if I keep it up he's going to buy an 18-1 shirt to irritate me.

I was on a Browns' board and a Pats fan (not me) posted something and a Browns' fan replied : 18-1.

Now, don't get me wrong, I would have killed for 19-0 or 18-1 with the 1 not being the last game. But like I told my Auburn friend, there's a lot worse that you can go through as an NFL fan (on the field, forget the stupid camera) than what we saw last year. The first 16-0 regular season ever. A Super Bowl appearance. It still grinds at me that we lost but last year was still a badge of honor for the Patriots and their fans, not a black mark of embarrassment.

Gee......the 18-1 Browns fan should have been told 18-1 with an asterisk because of five (5) definite offensive holding and face mask calls just on on that one "play" by the "G" men, including one used for the world to see on the full spred color Super Bowl pictorial in Sports Illustrated. These are called 95% of the time. But you don't see BB or Kraft or the Pats complaining.

Just think if we would have won the game where Brady did the exact same thing and with say Moss or Welker. Bellichick would be doing 5 to 10 in a federal prison. Never mind that there was a clear P.I. on Moss on one of the three last desperation bombs.

Now I must ask. If that was the Patriots, would not the Transylvania town morons (media or Pats haters in this case) have their pitchforks and torches ready to go after Bellichick? Oh well.... What a famous man once said "It is what it is".

Ashamed? No, but disappointed and knowing that if we would have won the game by the identical play, we would have never been given the props for winning that game. Is that a fair statement? Yet Strahan and the G's go touring around the country saying how they "stomped" us. It's one freak play dude aided by a officiating crew that took a play off!
DW Toys

I may be alone in this but I couldn't wait until last season was over. With all the talk about undefeated season, running up the score, spygate, and the F-U season, it really wasn't all that enjoyable for me.

It was grueling, no doubt, but the Pats didn't help matters by running up the score.

I actually felt great on SB Sunday though - the Pats were hours away from silencing everyone. Having to endure the 06 AFCCG and SpyGate would have been worth it to see the first 19-0 season. But now we have a new boulder on our backs and I can't wait to get rid of them.

The 18-1 doesn't sting as much as the role-reversal we pulled with the 2001 Rams. I thought of that team as "Drago" and the '01 Pats were Rocky. Now that we became Drago and the Giants are Rocky, it all feels empty now. I can't even watch SB36 highlights without images of SB42 coming to mind.

Well... '01 was a different experience all together. It was great (nothing is ever as good as the first).

Winning in '03 and '04 were also special and great in their own way.

But by the same token... 16-0 was special in even a different way. it was something I have never experienced as a fan before. Hell, not many fans will ever get to experience it.

The SB loss was crushing. Worst feeling I have ever felt as a sports fan. But now that i have had time to reflect on the season a little, Im just starting to appriciate how truely special it was. It was a great year to be a fan of the team from a football standpoint. We were treated to some really memorable games/wins. It was pretty damn awesome.

No question the 16-0 regular season was one hell of an achievement. A season for the record books and one hell of a ride but I still would give it back for another SB win...sorry...just would.

In the end the Patriots just couldn't close the deal. They worked so hard all season just to come up empty. One can easily relate to how they must have felt after what turned out to be such a wasted effort. Kinda like this...if your girl has ever looked down at you and so thoughtfully and caringly said to you..."it's OK, nice try honey, I know you worked hard, but I'll just finish up from here." D'OH!

I'm disappointed because of 1 lost. 19-0 in this season will solve my shortterm memory problem. :)

Btw,What do i have to do to setup a poll here.?

18-1, superbowl appearence in 4 of the last 7 years, 5 afccg , 7 afce champs, 3 titles and favorites to win again this year. name one other team in the last 15 years that can compare wth this run.

Until some team goes 19-0, no other team's fans can talk **** to Pats' fans about 18-1.

Last edited:

Btw,What do i have to do to setup a poll here.?
When you create a thread, down near the bottom there's a box you can check that says something like "Create a Poll" and you tell it how many options you want. Then yo create the thread. After that it takes you to a new page where you enter the poll options.

Until some team goes 19-0, no other team's fans can talk **** to Pats' fans about 18-1.

Well, exactly. This is exactly what I would say, "Oh, yeah because of course every other team that went 16-0 won the Superbowl, right? Oh wait....."

Ashamed? Never. Horrified and disappointed by the Superbowl loss? Yup. But even if they had won, it was such a crappy time because of the Herald BS and it would have been by the skin of their teeth. I doubt even now I'd want to rewatch the game even if they had won.

Last edited:
In the end the Patriots just couldn't close the deal. They worked so hard all season just to come up empty. One can easily relate to how they must have felt after what turned out to be such a wasted effort. Kinda like this...if your girl has ever looked down at you and so thoughtfully and caringly said to you..."it's OK, nice try honey, I know you worked hard, but I'll just finish up from here." D'OH!

I guess in the end my whole take is... Better to have stared down immortality and lost, then to have never caught a glimpse of it.

ANY team can win a SB. One team does it every year. It's always going to be special, no denying that. But how many teams are going to flirt with true perfection? We not only flirted with her, we dined, danced, and got to third base! Not sealing the deal sucked... no doubt. But the rest of the date sure was nice.

FWIW: I wouldn't have had this take a month ago. I have just recently learned to live with the loss, and that has helped me appreciate the true value of last season from a fan perspective.

I guess in the end my whole take is... Better to have stared down immortality and lost, then to have never caught a glimpse of it.

The 2007 season, along with the near-AFC championship in '06 with Reche Caldwell as our #1, tells me that the Pats are just good enough to almost do the impossible.....I just hope the Pats get back to entirely possible business of winning a Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes