Welcome to PatsFans.com

Are whites racially oppressed?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Mar 4, 2011.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +228 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

Oh Boy.....Harry Boy

Are whites racially oppressed? - CNN.com

(CNN) -- They marched on Washington to reclaim civil rights.

They complained of voter intimidation at the polls.

They called for ethnic studies programs to promote racial pride.

They are, some say, the new face of racial oppression in this nation -- and their faces are white.

"We went from being a privileged group to all of a sudden becoming whites, the new victims,'' says Charles Gallagher, a sociologist at La Salle University in Pennsylvania who researches white racial attitudes and was baffled to find that whites see themselves as a minority.

Do you feel oppressed, Well do ya Boy?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

:singing::singing::singing:

I ain't touching this one unless I start drinking.

:bricks:

3. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Everyone's racially oppressed somewhere. :rolleyes:

4. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +228 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I will say this, how much longer does affirmative action go on? It started 50 years ago this year, I had to deal with it and now my kids have to deal with it. At what point is enough enough?

5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

I knew it, your a racist.................:singing:

6. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +209 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

What is our/your definition of oppressed? What situations do you consider to be a form of oppression? I'm certainly of the opinion that there aren’t many white people (if any at least in the US) that have felt the oppression of slavery, but that is one type of oppression, and obviously the extreme of it.

While I personally have never in this country, as a white male, felt that I personally was oppressed, there could be some people who feel this way.

Are there examples in this country where applicants to jobs or colleges receive "points" because they are a minority? If so, I would consider that a form of oppression. Clearly not to the level of what slavery was, or limiting the rights of Black Americans (or any minority group for that matter) systematically up until the 1960s was, but a form nonetheless.

I guess, while I realize the historical reasons around it, one could make the argument the Affirmative Action or similar practices is a form of "oppression". I’ll probably get flamed as a racist for that statement, but hear me out:
    1. How have we tried to right the wrongs of the racial inequality, we as a country have had throughout our past? By creating another policy of making us not equal? Doesn’t make sense to me. If i were a business owner/hiring manager/dean of admissions, I would want the best and the brightest to work for me/come to my college. I don’t care where you come from, or what your parents do, or what color you are, or what religion you practice (just keep it to yourself ;) , if you are the best, I want you.
    2. How, if our goal as a society is to get to a point where race doesn’t matter, a truly "equal" place, do we get there by having things such as applications race points and AA? To me that "brings" race in situations where otherwise it may not have been. So what should be a situation where race has no bearing, now is part of the conversation.

I am one of those truly "naive" people that doesn’t see color. I realize I bring it up a lot in my posts, but I was an extreme "minority" for most of my formative years. In the US our minority groups are still in the millions of people. In Indonesia a country of something like 270M people, the expat community; regardless of race, was on the order of 30-60K. I stood out literally anywhere I went. Go to the mall, people would notice. Go to a bar, people notice, walking down the "street" people would yell things. There were times that being a "buleh" (Indonesian derogatory term for a foreigner) made you a target for verbal altercations, physical abuse, theft, paying higher prices for the same goods etc. Counter that minority status with the fact that my school days were spent in a school where 92 countries were represented; a tough place to exist (the school) if you are a racist or are in the mood to oppress people that dont look/think/beleive like you do.

Do I think there are white people in America that think they are somehow oppressed because a black person can move into their neighborhood, or get a job...or god forbid vote? I'm sure their are, and I'm sure some of those people took the survey in the link you attached. But I think we can all agree that is not a form of oppression. On the the side, my opinion is that AA and the like are forms of it, using historical inequality to justify continued inequality doesn’t make us equal, which most of us would agree is the goal, our goal.

Dr. King in his speech didn’t say "I have a dream that my four little children will one day get bonus points on a job application because of the color of their skin"

He said "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

I have serious hopes about this thread, that some true discussion can happen, I obviously have my doubts :), but I look forward to this conversation.

PS Sorry for the novel.

7. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +228 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I started this thread so Harry could vent. I don't feel oppressed, but i can see how others might.

8. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +228 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

You forgot Bigot! :bricks:

9. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +209 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Hahaha completely missed your point then.

I retract my novel then!!!! :)

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

Whites aren't oppressed, but they are certainly picked on a little bit. Everyone who isn't white, has access to more priviledge than "my people" do. Think about it. If you go take a test for a civil service job, "my people" could score 100, but the person who isn't white that scores a 75 could still get the job instead. Be it financial aid, scholarships, subsidized housing, etc. if you are one of "my people" you might find yourself on the shorter end of the stick. Or in some cases you just might have a shorter stick. :D Good thing I don't have that problem. :rocker:

The bottom line is that it is what it is. What bugs me though, is when people talk about "white priviledge". When people talk in a manner that paints "my people" as being evil in some way. Like we're an accessory to some crime that was committed. The sarcastic "poor white people have it bad" crap. The bottom line is that the people who work hard get ahead, and the people who don't tend to fall by the waist side. It's not "my people's" fault that some struggle in life. It's their own.

Another thing I hate is the "diversity" BS. When a crowd looks too white it's somehow proof that all the people there are racist, or whatever it is they are there for is bad in some way. Somehow someway if you have too many of "my people" in one place, then they're probably all angry old white racist crackers. Or whatever Patters calls "my people". :D Seriously though, I think the more you coddle, and differentiate over race or ethnicity, the more you divide people in general. When you give a specific group a break, or a priviledge that another doesn't enjoy, then you've moved to create a distinction between them. A distinction that will only lead to a division and disdain. Just my opinion anyway.

** This is in no way meant to say that minorities don't face circumstances that may make their situations more difficult. I'm merely expressing what I see taking place from "my people's" POV. The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy of "my people". :D

11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,364 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

Mother of Jesus H Christ and Holy Sh!t---------:eek:

The loons would have a lynching party on here for me if posted that, Tits would want me banned from the whole internet.

13. jcdavey

jcdavey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There is absolutely no point whereby the proponents of affirmative action will say enough is enough. It will not happen. Not in your lifetime, not in your children's lifetimes, not in their children's lifetimes.

15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

Affirmative Action
    Is Racist

Black Caucas Is Racist

Black Entertainment
    Is Racist

Anything With The
    Word Black In Front
    Of It Is Racist

Would White Entertainment
    Be Racist

You Bet Your Ass It Would

16. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

It's called television.

-------

You're just upset by any attempt by blacks to have any sort of identity.

Unless, of course, you object to all ethnic or religious affinity groups. (Yeah, sure...)

17. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

Just found about him last year, b/c of his TV show. Very funny guy. Did he come up playing Boston comedy clubs (if you know)?

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

We are all supposed to be equal but loon society won't let us they want to keep it going what would they do without it, they love to play the race card, don't they realize that when they start their race baiting that they are humiliating other human beings by bringing unwanted attention to them, it's cruel.

19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +618 / 12 / -5

#24 Jersey

Forgive me for not shouting as loudly as you, Harry.

What about

Christian Dating Service Reviews for Christian Singles

Christian Dating for Christian singles search for marriage minded online dating site and online dating services.

or that genre of music known as Christian Rock

or the political group known as the Iowa Christian Alliance

Why are you not railing about them? Are they not bigoted by your standards?

20. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

Yeah, that's what's preventing inequality...

Keep whining about BET and not being able to call blacks n*ggers. It just makes it increasingly clear where you stand.

You and your type are like the kids I went to college with who complained when blacks ate or hung out together -- while ignoring that 80% of the groups around campus and tables in dining halls were entirely white. At least those kids had the excuse of being 19 and having lived pretty sheltered lives.