PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are We Still Favored In Every Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The only games that I might think that we are not favored are hosting balt and and indy.

This team is a great team.

Sure I want to see if some of the rooks develop over the year. But, for me, the most critical factor to our post-season success will be injuries between now and the playoffs.

I'm not playing, that should help the rest of you.

Well, Mayo is now hurt, so you aren't going to get any Mayo with that for what, 6 to 8 weeks?...sorry about that. The point is that you now have 7 new starters on defense this year, at least for a while. I can see how the Patriots will have a chance in every one of their games, but it all depends on how the season plays out. Who are the surprise teams going to be, and who are the disappointing teams going to be? Generally, you give the home team around 3 points by virtue of playing at home...not always the case, but generally. The Titans might have been favorites if the game wasn't in New England. New Orleans might come on strong this year. Like you say, Indy and Baltimore have a shot on being the favorite.

Being favored to win doesn't win you the game, however.

The only games that I might think that we are not favored are hosting balt and and indy.

This team is a great team.

Sure I want to see if some of the rooks develop over the year. But, for me, the most critical factor to our post-season success will be injuries between now and the playoffs.

There is absolutely no chance we are an underdog at home to the Ravens.

I'll play along. Eh, they gave this year away by trading Seymour. ;)

one doesn't have to "play along" to wonder just how much an effect trading Seymour will have. Tomorrow should give us an indication of sorts, but by week 8,if there is a decided lack of defensive pressures and sacks, we'll know.

Although we may be favored right now in most games, I don't know how good of a true reading that gives anyone.

The handicappers obviously take everything into account based on last games' performance, the season as a whole, both teams' injuries, amount of points scored, momentum, trends, etc--and it will change week to week.

So actually, no one could really know if we'll be favored v. Baltimore, v. Tennessee, v. Indy, etc, etc, etc. What if we lose the next game or 2, a substantial player or 2 gets hurt, and Baltimore wins very handidly the next couple games in blowouts? It's almost a trick question. Are we favored based on what happened in past years, last week, and the team we're fielding now? Yes. But how do you know Atlanta doesn't go undefeated from now until then? How do you know Tennessee doesn't hold all of their opponents to 13 pts or less until we play them? What if Randy Moss or Wes Welker go down for an extended period?

Obviously if you asked at the beginning of the year, we'd look great for the future--but you're basing your data on the team we had then, such as Seymour and Mayo. You're also basing your data about being favored on what our opponents did...when? Last Season? How do you know exactly what Baltimore team we'll be facing? Not to be a smart ass, but to me, it's a totally loaded question. You can say that we are the odds on favorites to go to the AFCCG or whatever, because we have the best odds so far, but those odds will go up or down based on other teams performances just as well as our own. But to try and figure out if we'll be favored 4-6-8 weeks down the road is kind of silly, IMHO--because you can't predict what the variables will be.

one doesn't have to "play along" to wonder just how much an effect trading Seymour will have. Tomorrow should give us an indication of sorts, but by week 8,if there is a decided lack of defensive pressures and sacks, we'll know.

By week 8, we will know nothing, since timeframe that will be Mayo free.

The truer measurement would be between weeks 9 and 17.

Must feel nice to have your favorite team favored to win week in and week out year after year, leaves the fan base feeling satisfied, somewhat smug and superior.

Jets have had little success in the last 40 years, as a Jet fan it can be utterly heartbreaking and demoralizing, but then after a while you come back for more, kinda get use to it. Some of you long time Pat fans can probably relate.

I honestly believe the Jets day will come and when it does it will be all the sweeter after enduring all the years of disappointment and embarrassment.

I would bet a dollar that the Pats will not be the favorite in every game they play this year, I would bet another dollar that they will not be favored to win there 2nd game with the Jets this year. Probably just my beers talking, then again maybe optimism is what it takes to be a Jet fan.

It's almost go time, kinda like David Vs Goliath, or the Karate Kid Vs who ever he fought.

I just hope it is a clean hard hitting game where no one gets seriously hurt, good luck Compadres.:)

2581903b6b8ac6.jpg

By gunnails at 2008-07-05

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes