PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are we Spoiled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I am, I recognize it but its still hard to be anything but disgusted when a team you know is excellent has a horrible day like they did last week against Indy. I remember literally people laughing in school when I'd wear my pats gear in the late 80's early 90's. The biggest games of the year were the Indy games since we knew we had a shot of winning. I even remember being absolutely ecstatic when **** MacPherson was hired as coach, thinking he would lead us to the promised land. Whenever I get too uppity I think back to those dark days and it always helps me appreciate what we get to watch week in and week out from this team.

PATSNUTme said:
Right, when the Raiders moved to LA. Also, talk about going to St Louis when the Cardnials moved to AZ. I really thought that Orthwine was going to do it but he proved to be a man of his word.
Holy Crap, the Patriots could have played in the Black Hole? I can't get my mind anywhere near that. Funny, I don't remember any talk out here about the Patriots moving to CA, the best move NEVER made.

When I grew up in Boston it was just about shameful to be a Pats fan around the Red Sox crowd, Celtics crowd and even the Bruins crowd. We were the unwanted stepchild to all other sports.

I want the Pats to strike when the iron is hot, and win a couple more superbowls.

I just don't get the pacifist attitude that some 'lifelong fans' here display about whether the team wins or loses. Trying to pretend that you are a superior fan because you care less about whether we win during this brief period of time that we have the coach and the QB to become a respected franchise in the long term.

I can't relate to that attitude at all. I want to win the superbowl this year. Is this a problem? I don't believe it is a problem. I believe that it makes me a good fan.

HAMMERMILL said:
I give orthwine credit,I think he bought them team with the hope,that he could move us there.(my opinion)
He got some resistance from the league,and a silent majority(owners) as well as his promise he wouldn't leave led to us staying here.
Orthwine gave us parcells(credibility)

There was also a really big monetary issue for Orthwein not moving to St. Louis. The iron clad lease that the Patriots had with the owner of the stadium. The owner of the stadium would not under any circumstances let the Pats out of the lease. And that set the stage for the owner of the stadium to buy the Pats.....

I go back over 20 years with the team and I clearly remember the bad-old-days. I wouldn't say I'm spoiled, but my expectations are very high.

The TB/BB window will only be open for so long, and I'm anxious to get as many wins and SBs as possible within that time period before the inevitable descent into mediocrity (which may be another 10+ years away, but WILL eventually come).

Patjew said:
I go back over 20 years with the team and I clearly remember the bad-old-days. I wouldn't say I'm spoiled, but my expectations are very high.

The TB/BB window will only be open for so long, and I'm anxious to get as many wins and SBs as possible within that time period before the inevitable descent into mediocrity (which may be another 10+ years away, but WILL eventually come).

Exactly! Because we will descend back to the pack at some point.

So let us be passionate about this team while they are good, without all this stuff about how you are happy whether they go home early or not. :rolleyes:

When Brady retires, we can go back to rooting for moral victorys, or close games with collateral damage, or being proud just because the players made it to the game on time or didn't roll over. Hopefully by then we will have firmly established our credentials to the NFL and to the rest of the Boston sport base.

In the meantime, pardon me for wanting my team to be the best.

There's nothing wrong with wanting our team to be the best. I not only want that, I always believe they are, or have the potential to be.

What's annoying is the overreaction after losses. I'm talking stuff like questioning whether Brady is mentally "here" one week removed from a killer performance in Minnesota, questioning the FO AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN with the same old stuff after a less than stellar performance (and on the heels of a quite good performance) and announcing that we'll probably just lose our very next game despite the whole "no back to back losses"thing we've got going on. It's just an overreacting, negative attitude, that believe it or not, DOESN'T help the team win. All it does is make this place unpleasant to be around.

I am a fan of 47 years and admit that I am very spoiled. I don't want to

go back to the old days when a 6 and 8 record under John Mazur was

a major feat.

I cringe every time the Pats lose a good player to free agency.

Patjew said:

The Pats have won 3 superbowls in the last 5 years and you still have expectations. That is the definition of spoiled.

I want the Pats to do well. I believe they can win a superbowl this year and I have high hopes for the next 5. I would be thrilled to see them win again. I have perspective though and can't bring myself to complain when the team fails. We have it damn good. Not complaining doesn't mean I don't care, it means I can absorb the bad and the good still greatly outweighs it.

Sheesh, you people wonder why other team's fans hate us.

Last edited:
If there is anyone who would be happy if the team did not go all the way- please sign up here.

I don't think anyone of us have anything but high expections for the team, because they are good. But, if you can't enjoy the ride just because there was a bump or two in the road, I feel sorry for you.

I was unhappy about the Colts loss but I put it behind me quickly and started to look ahead rather than behind.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
The Pats have won 3 superbowls in the last 5 years and you still have expectations. That is the definition of spoiled.

I want the Pats to do well. I believe they can win a superbowl this year and I have high hopes for the next 5. I would be thrilled to see them win again. I have perspective though and can't bring myself to complain when the team fails. We have it damn good. Not complaining doesn't mean I don't care, it means I can absorb the bad and the good still greatly outweighs it.

Sheesh, you people wonder why other team's fans hate us.
Where in my post did I state "complaining"? When have I ever compalined about the Pats on this board?

Having expectations = being spoiled? I EXPECT to wake up tomorrow. I EXPECT my kids to grow up healthy and happy. I EXPECT the Pats to remain competitive. Does that mean I'm spoiled?

Way to completely misinterpret a post. "Sheesh, you people wonder why other team's fans hate us.", right? People like you make me hate people. Why don't you learn to read, loser.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
If there is anyone who would be happy if the team did not go all the way- please sign up here.

I don't think anyone of us have anything but high expections for the team, because they are good. But, if you can't enjoy the ride just because there was a bump or two in the road, I feel sorry for you.

I was unhappy about the Colts loss but I put it behind me quickly and started to look ahead rather than behind.

I think that most of the people around here have put the game behind us, and at the same time kept the game in it's rightful perspective.

I imagine that most fans are enjoying the ride, I know I am.

I sure will be disappointed if we go home early this year because I love the Patriots and want to be part of a storied franchise after being part of a laughing stock franchise. Plus I hate the Colts.

Patjew said:
Where in my post did I state "complaining"? When have I ever compalined about the Pats on this board?

Having expectations = being spoiled? I EXPECT to wake up tomorrow. I EXPECT my kids to grow up healthy and happy. I EXPECT the Pats to remain competitive. Does that mean I'm spoiled?

Way to completely misinterpret a post. "Sheesh, you people wonder why other team's fans hate us.", right? People like you make me hate people. Why don't you learn to read, loser.

People like you make me hate people. That is classic! I could use that line a few times a week, methinks! :D

I think those of us who are fans from 20+ years ago can never be considered spoiled. After sticking by a team that could break your heart on a yearly basis for so many years, you can't blame us for having a certain sense of urgency and worry. We were laughed at for being fans. I remember back in 85' during the superbowl being the only Pats fan around, and I lived in Mass. I don't really mind the bandwagoners too much, but if you have only been a fan since 2001, there is no way that you could understand. Especially since our team didn't even gain recognition as one of the greatest until last year. Yeah, we had to win 3 out of 4 and 22 straight to be respected, thats how "inconsitent" we were in the past. So about sitting back and enjoying the ride - tried that last year, didn't work out too well. Yes I want to win. Yes I want more titles. Yes I want the best players and coaches for my team. If that makes me spoiled then get out the silver spoon because thats the way its going to be.

Spoiled is a term that does not fit my personna well, been a Pats fan since the 60's.. seen all the crap and mismanagement over the years.

Now I expect a good deep team to be on the field, expect a competent hands off owner, great coaching and us to have a winning season every year. If this is spoiled, this be me, even though I do not like the term.

All this tripping down memory lane makes me realize how comparatively little I cared "back in the day," whether we beat this or that hated rival. Wins and losses seemed to come randomly from the football gods back at that time, and when I was lucky enough to get to see a game televised, and that game was an actual win -- I felt great for that one game, but the whole idea of the season as more than a collection of disconnected games was just beyond my grasp until the Pats started to challenge for the playoffs.

I'd say we're spoiled, yeah, but we've also got a collective dread that it's ENDING, in terms of championships... that we have to hang around over the Jordan, looking at the promised land, as a punishment for receiving such riches already...

This is the same agony the 9ers had between Super Bowl peaks during their glory years - the agony of "is this how it ends?" Well, I don't want to be done yet.

Third most points scored, third least allowed, 6-2... these are very good division leading numbers. The only thing that's going to matter is that we win the East, and that we beat the Colts/Broncos/YourNameHeres in the playoffs and Super Bowl. And I don't think we're that good right now.

I feel in synch with the team's goals here, not "spoiled." And (God forbid) I'll hang with em through 2-14 seasons again, if that's what it takes to earn this ride.

Having a good team means having better than a 1-in-32 shot at the Super Bowl, even though the odds are still long for any given team. While we have that better-than-average shot, I want us to make the best of it.

But hey, that's just me and the other spoiled fans. I do believe we're spoiled, because our team is always in it. The question isn't whether we can compete, it's whether we can excel. So if you want to distinguish yourself as not spoiled, root for mediocrity.

PFnV

PatsfaninVA: Very nice post! In the old days, it was a one weekend universe. We won or lost, with no thought about the season as a whole or even being a serious contender for the division. Now we know better, we know that we COULD go back this year. This also creates the room for doubt and disappointment, along with joy and triumph.

I like to experience the whole range of emotions rather than stay in a outdated mindframe that all that matters is the 'little picture' of whether we won or lost on a particular Sunday.

I personally feel like the Patriots DESERVE every glory they get, and for a number of reasons. For sucking so long, for coming so close in the late 70's, 85' and 96'. For becoming a quality franchise with smart, non-scumbag players. For having an owner put his own money where his mouth is, instead of having tax payers foot his bill. For the QB who got overlooked all his life. FOR ME.

I'm sorry, but after living thru 1976 and 1985, I will never feel like the Pats franchise will ever be spoiled by success, and I also feel like I deserve as much cosmic karma and retribution as I can get. I will never admit to feeling spoiled until the day that every person in the media treats us as if we were the Colts. Showering us with love at every turn, overrating us for even dubious accompolishments like winning non-consecutive games. :rolleyes:

Patjew said:

When I saw your board name I initially assumed the "Pat" part had to do with the Patriots. Now I realize it's short for Patricia.

The expectations part I began my post with was a direct response to you. The rest was a more general response to a sentiment in this thread expressed by 5 Rings for Brady: "I just don't get the pacifist attitude that some 'lifelong fans' here display about whether the team wins or loses. Trying to pretend that you are a superior fan..." I'm sorry that this was unclear as I should have separately quoted him. And please extend my apologies to your boyfriend since I can only assume he had to clean up the hormonal wreck I created.

every season is a new one, all i can say.

Spoiled? I don't worry about it. If some fans have never known what it's like to have it all fall apart they should use Brady as an example. Amazing to always have success yet stay level headed.

It is tiring scraping fans off the floor after every loss, (and some wins) and peeling them off the ceiling after victories. Winning ain't that easy, you're living in a bubble and even great teams struggle most of the time.

Guess I started comprehending sports in 1961 or so, saw Williams bat, saw Cousy throw it straight up in the air.

Of course I saw freakin' Y.A. Tittle instead of the Patriots and I was pissed after a while. Guess I've always been a homer.

To have a chance to win it all with a team that does it the right way is a luxury I'd never imagined. Of course I'd like to win it every year, but our team last year might have been my favorite.

I'm sorry Vince, winning isn't everything. Lucky teams have won, then collapsed the next year. The Patriots were never lucky in that sense.

Last year's team compare's with the old, injured 87-88 Celtics who refused to lay down in the playoffs and the 67 RedSox who took a much more talented team to the limit.

Our last two SB teams were powerhouses, but I'm confident we could win it every year, even with injuries because we have the heart and pride to never give up or give in.

And that's what turns me on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back