PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are We Really Set At Defensive Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question may be do we prefer to have Olsen or Pitta or Grankowski or Hernandez. We could probably have Olsen for the 44 (or even the 53).

Olsen, meh, draft Pitta at #44 and keep Sanders to be the anchor of the secondary.

I could see them taking a later round S. For CB I think they are set. Arrington was a big surprise for me last year. I wouldn't be surprised if he works his way onto the field.

I could tell arrington had a motor, passion, and some nice tackling skills. I sure hope wheatley will finally live up to his draft pick bc i know he can cover with the best of them but his open field tackling is the problem, along with injuries. nice returner as well

The question may be do we prefer to have Olsen or Pitta or Grankowski or Hernandez. We could probably have Olsen for the 44 (or even the 53).

I just don't see the value in trading for a TE who can't block.
Rather get an all around TE who can do it all.
Blocking is very important for Pats tight ends.
That's why we signed Crumpler even though his best days as a pass catcher are over. He's still a strong blocker.
NO thanks to Olsen unless it's for a 4th rounder or later.

If NE drafts TE before the third round, Pitta, no trade.

Earl Thomas is a serious option at #22 along with the oft mentioned Odrick. His versatility, playmaking ability, and ball skills, are what this defense could use, even though the Safety position (assuming he plays there), is a strong position. He'd be a solid value pick for certain, and who knows -- maybe he's more than just a #22 option -- but the actual target.

He was once considered a top 15-20 prospect, and someone (Kirwan?) recently said he's sliding a little (but not out). There's also talk of him being a legitimate candidate for the Texans at #20. So we may have to wait till that slot before breathing.

I doubt NE goes CB in round one, as BB has nabbed three in rounds 2-4 -- two of whom became starters. There's a few I like in that range...though all we may need is just one solid player (with ball skills).

Good points about Meriweather's contract status -- definite food for thought.

Earl Thomas is a serious option at #22 along with the oft mentioned Odrick. His versatility, playmaking ability, and ball skills, are what this defense could use, even though the Safety position (assuming he plays there), is a strong position. He'd be a solid value pick for certain, and who knows -- maybe he's more than just a #22 option -- but the actual target.

He was once considered a top 15-20 prospect, and someone (Kirwan?) recently said he's sliding a little (but not out). There's also talk of him being a legitimate candidate for the Texans at #20. So we may have to wait till that slot before breathing.

I doubt NE goes CB in round one, as BB has nabbed three in rounds 2-4 -- two of whom became starters. There's a few I like in that range...though all we may need is just one solid player (with ball skills).

Good points about Meriweather's contract status -- definite food for thought.
I don't think CB is the target, but it's an insurance policy - who do you take at #22 if your man is gone and the trade value being offered is in Confederate dollars? Then a McCourty or Wilson would indeed be a strong pick.

I agree, and yes, this is analysis is the point of opening the thread.

I don't think CB is the target, but it's an insurance policy - who do you take at #22 if your man is gone and the trade value being offered is in Confederate dollars? Then a McCourty or Wilson would indeed be a strong pick.

If BB's targets are gone, and his hands are tied w/ no #22 suitors, than yes, the CB position/players becomes insurance. What's the value of those $$$, because I'm almost willing to trade down for a dumpster discount.

If BB's targets are gone, and his hands are tied w/ no #22 suitors, than yes, the CB position/players becomes insurance. What's the value of those $$$, because I'm almost willing to trade down for a dumpster discount.
I can see taking a slight loss in value points to get down where the contract values will be good for players of similar quality, a major loss - that's a screw that, McCourty is a better value decision.

There's still the option to take the best player available. I like Jahvid Best or Maurkice Pouncey at 22, for example.

I don't think they're set at DB. There are too many questions marks. However, this draft isn't too deep with DB's so I think may draft one CB if any.

Questions that need to be answered in 2010

Will Butler emerge as the starter opposite of Bodden? He better.

Will Wheatley ever see the field? Probably not.

Can Wilhite do more than just follow receivers around? As much as I think he is terrible, at least he stays on the field.

Can Chung take over the other safety spot? If he can't win the starting job over Sanders or McGowan, we have a bust on our hands.

Which Merriweather will show up week to week? I don't have the answer for that.

I see the Pats drafting one DB in the mid-late rounds unless a guy like Haden falls to them at #22. I also see the Pats cutting Springs. He was worthless in 2009.

Last edited:
a major loss - that's a screw that, McCourty is a better value decision.

There's some quality dumpsters here in VT, so I'm not giving up that #22 for scraps. So how about this:

It's an even better value decision if McCourty were the Pats pick AFTER the tradedown. It's still early to accurately project where these players will be picked, but he has been mocked as a late first.

Hypothetically, the Saints may be enamored with Weatherspoon (or another), who may be available at #22. NE selects McCourty at 32, garnering a third-rounder in the deal. It is possible...as only one of numerous scenarios.

As BB may say -- value of the pick.

There's some quality dumpsters here in VT, so I'm not giving up that #22 for scraps. So how about this:

It's an even better value decision if McCourty were the Pats pick AFTER the tradedown. It's still early to accurately project where these players will be picked, but he has been mocked as a late first.

Hypothetically, the Saints may be enamored with Weatherspoon (or another), who may be available at #22. NE selects McCourty at 32, garnering a third-rounder in the deal. It is possible...as only one of numerous scenarios.

As BB may say -- value of the pick.
I expect NE to get good value, but there's always a just in case to consider.

?? You are simply concluding that Wilson, McCourty or another defensive back won't be the highest player on the patriot's board. maybe Belichick agrees maybe not. You like Best or Pouncy. I could see Pouncy at 22, as I have indicated before, but I could also see us having a corner that is higher on our board.

But then, the original question is not just about our first pick. Certainly, the argument for Wilson or McCurty as possibilities becomes stronger as we move down to 44 or 47 or 53.
=====================================================
Would anyone be shocked to see us draft a corner at 53? Are we SO SURE of Bodden, Butler and Wilhite? Are we so sure of Springs and Wheatley as our backups in case of injury or non-production of the top three? Might not a corner be our highest draft value at 53? Might not this be a good move by the team?
======================================================
There's still the option to take the best player available. I like Jahvid Best or Maurkice Pouncey at 22, for example.

Safety is the deepest spot on the defense. I can see a fourth or fifth round pick invested on a CB, though, to compete with Wilhite and/or Wheatley. I sincerely hope that we don't invest a second round pick on one though. Our first four picks should be used on a DE, OLB(s), WR, and G IMO.

Last edited:
You say that the first four picks should be used on DE, OLB, WR and OG; and you seem OK with a corner as our fifth pick. My guess is that this might be your order of priority of these needs.

Does it make sense to you to draft in order of need?

Maybe, IN THIS DRAFT, there are many 4th round WR's who have similar projected value to us as those available in the mid-second. Is this possible or reasonable?

Perhaps, there are no guards in the first couple of rounds that are available anywhere near where we value them. How many of those note named Pouncey would you give a 53 for? Would you really give a 22 for Pouncy (I think that he's a likely first rounder)?
===============================
Others may have different priorities for the early rounds than you do, perhaps including TE or RB.

However, given your stated priorites, I could see us drafting as follows:
DE first or second round
OLB first or second round
WR fourth round (or third with a trade down)
OG perhaps a 4th or later, perhaps nothing at all
RB 2nd round
CB 2nd round
TE another free agency signing and a 6th

Safety is the deepest spot on the defense. I can see a fourth or fifth round pick invested on a CB, though, to compete with Wilhite and/or Wheatley. I sincerely hope that we don't invest a second round pick on one though. Our first four picks should be used on a DE, OLB(s), WR, and G IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back