PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are We In Deep Cap Trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A week ago we had $8M of cap money to spend on free agents; now we have $2M. This is from Miguel's analysis and includes restructures and rookies.

$2M doesn't go very far. It MAY be enough to sign Dwight and Davis and Troy Brown and few jags.

We can get by with minor tweaks, but where do we get our top wide receiver and kicker?

Losing $6M of cap money instead of gaining $10M has a huge effect on our preseason.

Agree? Disagree?

Right now I don't think anyone but a select few people have a clue how much or little cap room the Pats have.

Obviously if it turns out that the Pats have "just $2M" then it's gonna be much tougher than if they had $8M.

But right now who the heck knows?

since the final number is NOT descided upon...it's hard to say. Are we in deep trouble?? From what Miguel has said, with restructures, cuts and the like, 10-15 million could be found quite easily. Except for the Starks cut, none of those moves have been made. Given how other teams are in a panic, which the Patriots are not, I think the team is in good shape. I agree, it could be better, but with the moves mentioned a bit will be opening up. Again, that is all dependent upon what the cap really is and whether the CBA is agreed to.
It's not panic time...like in Indy...or in Oakland or??

mgteich said:
A week ago we had $8M of cap money to spend on free agents; now we have $2M. This is from Miguel's analysis and includes restructures and rookies.

$2M doesn't go very far. It MAY be enough to sign Dwight and Davis and Troy Brown and few jags.

We can get by with minor tweaks, but where do we get our top wide receiver and kicker?

Losing $6M of cap money instead of gaining $10M has a huge effect on our preseason.

Agree? Disagree?

Two words that come to mind immediately are Tyrone and Poole.

mgteich said:

Agree? Disagree?

MG -
A week ago, the reported cap number was going to be almost 100 million and it wasn't being reported that the Pats had a 4.1 million NLTBE hit from last year (still think that this is false and its only 2.5 million). But, that is what has happened.

Willie will have to restructure and Poole will have to be cut. Dillion may have to restructure as well.

Guys:

As of 1:50 pm yesterday when John Clayton published the list of cap numbers that he gets from the NFL offices, the Pats were $1.5 million under a projected $92 million cap. The actual leaguewide cap turned out to be $94.1 million, so the Pats are $3.6 million under that.

Those numbers include all of the adjustments for bonuses from last year and the like. That's why people were shocked to suddenly see the Dolphins $22 million over the cap.

The $3.6 million under includes releasing Stark, but doesn't include any other cuts.

Trust me. As Bloody Thursday unfolds, I think you'll see that the Pats are in pretty good cap shape compared to some of its key AFC competitors. Miami cut three-quarters of its starting secondary yesterday. Denver cut three starters. I'm not talking players whose contracts had run out and were headed to free agency. I'm talking cuts and dead money hits.

I am only dealing with Miguel's numbers which include various cuts and restructures and last week used a $94,5M cap number, not a $100M number.

DaBruinz said:
MG -
A week ago, the reported cap number was going to be almost 100 million and it wasn't being reported that the Pats had a 4.1 million NLTBE hit from last year (still think that this is false and its only 2.5 million). But, that is what has happened.

Willie will have to restructure and Poole will have to be cut. Dillion may have to restructure as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back