Status
Not open for further replies.

NENGFAN

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
2007 - SPY GATE and the SBowl Tragic Loss
2008 - Brady out for season
2009 - Welker out for playoffs on a freak play

I mean...what is with this team? I have been more sad than happy the past few years. Today was probably one of the worst Sundays ever. Wonder if we will ever have a normal season?

The M.O. for this team has always been guys stepping up into roles after one soldier goes down. That's exactly what Cassel did last year, and that's hopefully what Edelman will do with Welker going down.

Maroney and the running game will be a key to our success in the playoffs. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Faulk line up at WR or Watson split out wide like the Jets do with Keller sometimes.

It's a huge loss, but as always, the show must go on. Time to for guys to step up, rally around each other, and do their job.

You forgot 06. First the Branch BS and then the epic collapse in the AFC championship game.

Ask any of the 31 other teams in the league if they would switch places with our cursed team of the decade and see what answer they give you.

2005 - Ben Watson's play not called a touchback. That was one of those amazing plays that would go the Patriots' way, the whole mystique thing and what have you. Then the referee that day (Triplette, IIRC) said f- that, we're not giving them the benefit of the doubt. The Broncos rolled from there and never looked back.

2006 - Lost defensive captain Rodney Harrison to a cheapshot by Bobby Wade in Week 17. And then EVERYTHING that happened following the Asante Samuel INT for TD in the AFCCG against Indy.

2007 - SpyGate. Everything that happened after the Randy Moss TD with 3 minutes left in the SB.

2008 - Brady down Week 1, Pats still look like SB contenders at season's end but miss out with 11-5 record due to tiebreakers.

2009 - You already know.

It's hard to say we're cursed after winning 3 SB's in 4 years...but everything in the past 5 years suggests the Pats are hexed.

To add insult to injury, the past four SB champions have been the Steelers, Colts, Giants, and Steelers again.

Did I go to sleep and wake up to next Sunday night around 8PM? Have the Pats been eliminated from the playoffs?

Yes, the Pats lost Welker, but the Pats lost Ty Law in 2004 and lost both Troy Brown and Deion Branch for large portions of the season in 2003. It isn't the first time the Pats have lost key players even in Super Bowl years.

Yes, losing Welker makes it much harder for the Pats to win it all, but not impossible.

please dont go shaugnessy again on us...the team is blessed to win 3 SB. we had many lucky breaks during those yrs which we forget because we won it all...

Since when was going 18-1, 11-5, 10-6 a terrible thing? Snakebitten but far from cursed. More like spoiled

I think there's another WR on the team...his name escapes me...big guy...wears #81...and there's a fella named Watson that ain't half bad and a couplof young players...and we don't have a halfbad running game...plus, I'm told we have a Quarterback who's pretty good, though you wouldn't know if from some of the things being said about him out here today...

i guess i'm gonna hold off on hitting the panic button...i don't see us losing a playoff game in Foxboro...and, after that, who knows?

The M.O. for this team has always been guys stepping up into roles after one soldier goes down. That's exactly what Cassel did last year, and that's hopefully what Edelman will do with Welker going down.

Edelman already stepped up, he had 10/100+ today.

2006? The Patriots were lucky to even be in the AFC Championship game. (see: Troy Brown forced fumble)

Last edited:
Ask any of the 31 other teams in the league if they would switch places with our cursed team of the decade and see what answer they give you.
Exactly. Good grief. 3 SB titles this decade and you are cursed?

Edelman already stepped up, he had 10/100+ today.

Exactly. That's what this team is all about. I'd be a lot more worried if we were still throwing 50 times a game, but we're like 5th in the league in rushes per game. We've got Maroney who is capable of carrying this team like he did in 07 playoffs, with the addition of Taylor who still has some gas left in the tank. Add in Morris and Faulk and you look really good at RB.

Edelman is no Welker, but he's as close as you're going to get especially from a rookie. It's time to finally get Moss and Watson more involved in the short passing game.

I'm more concerned about our defense getting key stops than I am about our offense. Brady got it done with guys like Givens and Caldwell. Our defense not being able to get heat on the QB is still a HUGE concern IMO.

Why God Why?!?! Take my ACL and MCL! I'll gladly donate it to save White boy Wes Welker, Wes Walkers!!! NOOOOoooooooo!!!!!

I think we're extremely blessed.

1. Best head-coach
2. One of the best QB
3. One of the best WR
4. Best slot WR ( who only recently got injured )
5. A few great rookie finds this year ( Hoyer, Edelman, Vollmer, Pryor )
6. Playoffs again
7. Winning season every year this decade
8. 3 of 4 superbowls
9. 16-0
10. Best owner

Thank You.

Nine straight winning seasons that include four conference championships and three league championships is 'cursed'?

Something that happens that results in a team not winning a championship two or three years in a row is hardly a curse. If the Patriots over the last couple of years are cursed, then what are the Jets since SB3, or the Lions over the last half-century?

For starters I have no idea why any fan of a playoff team is assuming their team is going to lose; that's pretty sad. Secondly, I don't understand why anybody assumes their team should win a championship every single year and anything less is either epic failure or a jinx; again, that's pretty sad in my opinion.

This season isn't over yet. Man, after going through a lot of disappointing seasons from 1971 through 2000, I can't believe that anyone would whine about the Patriots this decade. 3 SB titles and a contending team every year. Don't you guys remember the Victor Kiam years. Or the early 80s. Some Patriot fans are pretty spoiled. I had no expectation of winning today, and losing Welker is a tough break. But to say this is the worst thing ever is a bit of an over reaction.

No curse. Just poor execution in key situations.

And please forget the refs and Ben Watson. Brady made a horrible decision on that play after Ashworth didn't pick up a blitz. Watson doesn't have to attempt that miracle if TB throws it away. Also, if Troy Brown doesn't fumble a punt...

There were key breakdowns in all the games mentioned. As BB has said in some of those brutal losses, "the <other team> made more big plays than we did."

Exactly. That's what this team is all about. I'd be a lot more worried if we were still throwing 50 times a game, but we're like 5th in the league in rushes per game. We've got Maroney who is capable of carrying this team like he did in 07 playoffs, with the addition of Taylor who still has some gas left in the tank. Add in Morris and Faulk and you look really good at RB.

Edelman is no Welker, but he's as close as you're going to get especially from a rookie. It's time to finally get Moss and Watson more involved in the short passing game.

I'm more concerned about our defense getting key stops than I am about our offense. Brady got it done with guys like Givens and Caldwell. Our defense not being able to get heat on the QB is still a HUGE concern IMO.

Nice post and I couldn't agree more about the offense. I disagree with your assessment of the D. Burgess looks like he's finally "getting it" and to underestimate the impact of having Wilfork, Warren and Bodden back in the starting lineup would be foolish.

Hell, I'm saying right now that it's our D that's going to be making a statement in the playoffs. Guyton is the weak link at this point--if he, Thomas, Seau, Nincovich, or ANYONE can step it up at LB, this D is going to be stout.

I still believe we can beat anybody in this league in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back