PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are we all set at OL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The odds of me being able to contribute anything valuable to a discussion on our offensive line is pretty slim and none, but I'd like to hear from folks about the OLine.

I feel like the consensus is that everyone would be just fine with going into next season with the OL that we have, which seems pretty fair to me.

But, some Q's I have...

-Kaczur v. O'Cal - super early guess at which one will be starting?
-Matt Light - appeared to return to form toward's the end of the year...what can we except from him going forth?
-Are there any upgrades available in the draft/FA? To me at least, it seems like this group is set unless we want to try and upgrade - depth doesn't appear to be an issue.

Thoughts...

I think we could use a better RT but we could get by with what we have. I would not mess with light mankins koppen neal and betwen hochstein kazur and o callahan we are ok at RT and depth.

I think we could use a better RT but we could get by with what we have. I would not mess with light mankins koppen neal and betwen hochstein kazur and o callahan we are ok at RT and depth.

What's wrong with Kaczur and O'Callaghan?

OL is one of the positions you can never have enough depth in.
I think Kazur is the starter because when healthy he was playing. O'call showed that he can contribute and play if needed without a loss in performance.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats pickup Oline if somebody they value drops to them like O'call did last year.

I think the only question we have is at RT.
Neal got an extension so that shows you what they think of his talent.
Light is our LT and Koppen got a big deal during the season.
Leaving us with a ? @ RT.
Bring in a young guy/FA and let the best man win

With guard prices being what they are, one has to wonder what will happen after guys' current contracts are up.

But we're in great talent shape, with everybody young and signed for a while. I doubt OL will be augmented with more than PS fodder

I wouldn't be upset if we drafted guard Ben Grubbs in the 1st. He's likely to fall to us.

What's wrong with Kaczur and O'Callaghan?

nothing is wrong with them I think we could get by just fine with them and one of them could develope into a really good player but I also think we could get one that is better.

nothing is wrong with them I think we could get by just fine with them and one of them could develope into a really good player but I also think we could get one that is better.

So are you saying the Pats should try to relegate a 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick to backup positions without giving either a fair chance as starters?

So are you saying the Pats should try to relegate a 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick to backup positions without giving either a fair chance as starters?

I think depth is a real a good thing, so they wouldnt be wasted. I think we could be all set at oline but if there was any oline position to upgrade that would be it.

It has taken the entire Belichick era to get there
but now the OL seems set.

Do we have to count it as another display of prescience
that they locked up the entire line for a couple of more years
... just before OL pay rates went ballistic?

Why would the Pats do that?!?!

Wait a minute, I thought you didn't know a single college player.

Why? Because you can never have too much depth on the lines. There's always a season ending injury or two. Also, Grubbs can also eventually replace Neal or Mankins, or whoever falters first.

Wait a minute, I thought you didn't know a single college player.

Why? Because you can never have too much depth on the lines. There's always a season ending injury or two. Also, Grubbs can also eventually replace Neal or Mankins, or whoever falters first.

OL is just about the last position the Pats need depth at right now.

(And no, I've never heard of Grubbs.)

OL is just about the last position the Pats need depth at right now.

(And no, I've never heard of Grubbs.)

We should be all set with the big uglies. But, if there is a chance to upgrade LT or RT with the right player at the right price/pick, then we should.

We should be all set with the big uglies. But, if there is a chance to upgrade LT or RT with the right player at the right price/pick, then we should.

exactly what I was trying to say

But I wouldn't consider either the #24 or the #28 pick the "right" one.

I wouldn't be upset if we drafted guard Ben Grubbs in the 1st. He's likely to fall to us.

I don't know Grubbs, but unless he's a future Pro Bowler, I'd be disappointed if they use any Day 1 pick on the OL at the expense of a DB, LB, WR or even DL or RB. All five starters are back plus O'Cal, Hochstein, Yates and even Mrucz.

OTOH, it never surprises me to see BB add someone in FA at the veteran minimum. Low cost insurance for injuries.

But I wouldn't consider either the #24 or the #28 pick the "right" one.

Right, but the thing is, at least the way I see it, it's hard to upgrade over Kazcur or O'Cal - when healthy, they both play well and we don't know their full potential yet - so the only way to really upgrade over them would be with a 1st round pick. But I agree, you gotta assume one of these two guys is starting next season and therefore a 1st rounder isn't worth the investment.

OTOH, it never surprises me to see BB add someone in FA at the veteran minimum. Low cost insurance for injuries.

I would say that OLinemen are no more likely to get put on IR than any other position. So it would be nice to have 5 or 6 vets as backups but it aint happening. I say we have more pressing "insurance needs" considering both our projected starting safeties combined \have missed 3/4ths of the last two years. I do not think Hawkins is an adequate backup. I do not think Alexander was an adequate backup for Seau/TBC so the point.

How is Joe Andruzzi doing in Cleveland?. People dont realize that he started every game during the 3 super bowl runs - a big contributer to Dillon's 1600 yd season.

The odds of me being able to contribute anything valuable to a discussion on our offensive line is pretty slim and none, but I'd like to hear from folks about the OLine.

I feel like the consensus is that everyone would be just fine with going into next season with the OL that we have, which seems pretty fair to me.

But, some Q's I have...

-Kaczur v. O'Cal - super early guess at which one will be starting?
-Matt Light - appeared to return to form toward's the end of the year...what can we except from him going forth?
-Are there any upgrades available in the draft/FA? To me at least, it seems like this group is set unless we want to try and upgrade - depth doesn't appear to be an issue.

Thoughts...

the OL is the strength of this team, it doesnt need any fixing(they maybe draft another guard to have insurance for neal).....and does it really matter who the patriots start at OL, i mean dante scarnechia is the reason those guys are successful and he has proven he can coach anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down