Welcome to PatsFans.com

Are we all missing Deion's intention?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by spacecrime, Aug 15, 2006.

1. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I read it yet again in today's Mike Reiss column and I still don't get it:

Branch, who is under contract through this season but wants to renegotiate, has said he would show up at training camp if the Patriots agreed not to place the franchise tag on him next season, allowing him to enter unrestricted free agency.

If Branch is willing to negotiate a new contract, then franchising won't apply - he won't be franchised because he'll be under contract. If Branch wants to be allowed to enter free agency next year, how is that wanting to negotiate a new contract?

2. desi-patsfan

desi-patsfan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

chalk that up to his brilliant agent.

3. 5 Rings for Brady!!

5 Rings for Brady!! In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You may not 'get' it but it is really obvious. Chayut intends to shop Branch elsewhere next year so Chayut can line his pockets with gold. Thus, Chayut has not made a single effort to negotiate a damn thing with the Pats since May. Thus, Chayut essentially said the Pats were a bunch of dirtbags, in a Borges interview. Thus, Chayut's only interest is in not having Deion franchised, so Chayut can cash in on the previously mentioned pot of gold.

If Branch wishes to do anything else, he first needs to fire his agent. Or just take what the Pats offered.

I'm not sure what part of this is a mystery.

4. 14thDragon

14thDragon Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, the abilty to franchise Branch next year gives the FO some leverage in negotiotiations in that the sense of urgency would not be there. Since they do not hav to get the deal done to retain his services. Take that away and one of thier big levers is taken out of the equation.

5. JR4

JR4 In the Starting Line-up PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +41 / 3 / -2

I think Branch was saying Ok if you won't give me an extention that I like
    I will go to FA next year. However If you want me it TC then just agree
    that you won't Franchise me.

In other words the Franchise tag bargining comes into play if there is no
    extention that both side will agree to.

Branch was trying to use his hold out to muscle something out of the PATs.
    PATs I believe had to take a hard stand here or get use to guys in the future
    pulling this same hold out crap. Player have to know PATs will not cave in
    to threats because a player chooses to disreguard their contract.
    I wish PATs could sue Branch for breach of contract and tie the settlement
    to future earnings. That would discourage players from not abiding by the
    contracts they signed.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  6. sarge

sarge Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Exactly!

If you are interested in negotiating a new contract, you don't refuse to negotiate until the team meats a ridiculous demand that no team in it's right mind would meet.

And like you imply, there is strictly only one reason to make that demand, and that is if you are planning on waiting for free agency. If you are interested in renegotiating, then you renegotiate!

None of this is about renegotiating. He just wants the Pats to give up any possible compensation for him to gaurantee him that he can go to the highest bidder via free agency.

7. 5 Rings for Brady!!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The only 'gray' area is that Branch probably wants to stay with the team, while Chayut clearly wants to pull a powerplay and go elsewhere.

The only solution is for Branch to fire his agent, or at least tell him in no uncertain terms who the boss is.

8. sarge

sarge Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That isn't the way it sounded to me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_silver/08/01/brady.pats/index.html
    He is strictly interested in going to the highest bidder in free agency!

9. Gopats!!!

Gopats!!! On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Unfortunately, there are plenty of teams that are NOT in their "right minds".

Some teams are willing to do anything and pay anything without regard to the future of the team or the actual value of the player.

Still, since the team will probably be able to afford to franchise branch, I think they are in a pretty strong position. If branch is worth what his agent thinks, then the Pats should be able to get at LEAST a 1st round pick for him next year. However, I think many people in the league are closer to the Pats than branch and his agent in this regard, and I don't see a first round pick coming our way.

All that said, I think a little sanity will strike branch, he will sign his huge deal, and everyone will be happy :)

10. smg93

smg93 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

IIRC, franchising him next year will give him a salary of the top 5 or at the very least the top 10 highest paid players in his position. That in itself would be a bonanza for Branch because most of us here believe that he isn't even in that league. Yes, Deion might believe and his agent definitely believes that he is in the top echelon of WR's but I think the point here is that he wants this year re-negotiated just in case he gets hurt.

This whole hold out could perhaps be in some way an acknowledgement on Branch and/or Chayut's part that there is a real possibility that he could get hurt badly this year because he is a fragile player. Why else would they consider BB/Pioli's offer a 4 year offer rather than a 1 year (this season) + 3 year extension? Branch to me seems like he believes that there's a really good chance that this could be his last year because of injury. If that's the case, the injury concerns may be too much to bear on his mental game and that may in fact trump the usual motivation of making this year his showcase year before he hits free agency. That would make his play on the field totally suffer in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  11. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I hope Deion will act in his own interests if this holdout approaches Week 1. If he stretches this holdout into the regular season he runs the risk of ruining his relationship with the Pats and getting the reputation of a 'me-first' type player. Even T.O., douchebag that he is, never held out of camp last year.

The best solution for Branch would be to fire his agent, since it will save him face with the Pats and the league. Chayut gets cast out as the bad guy, Deion goes back to work, all is well.

12. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +151 / 9 / -3

Having Branch play for a 1 year deal where he's getting paid in the top 10 of WRs without a signing bonus is a plan the Patriots can live with.

The franchise tag helps the team, not the players. That's why the Patriots have only had to use it once.

When they have players worthy of the tag, they usually pay up and meet their contract demands.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2005
  13. mcbee

mcbee Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I doubt they'd want to pay him 7-8M even for one year with no bonus money on the line, unless he has a great year this year.

Even if they did it'd be one year only, or they'd pay him 20% more the following year.

I don't know why they don't agree not to franchise him. At most they'd get him for one more year. The "sign and trade" thing...maybe they'd get a #2...if he signs a big contract they'll get a #2 compensatory anyway.

If they agree he comes into camp and they can win the SB this year. IF they don't, he holds out to week 10 and sits the rest of the season.

Small chance he may relent without the agreement and come back anyway, but he may be so bitter it wouldn't be worth it anyway.

14. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I think that's the only solution. After Seymour last year, the Patriots can't give in to Deion becuase of the message that it sends. If Deion fires Chayut and hires an agent that will actually negotiate a new contract extension, then Branch comes back in 'forgiven'.

The message sent by Chayut is that he doesn't even want to bother dealing with the Patriots and wants his client as unfettered as possible for his big free agent payday. Deion, by his actions, shows that he agrees with this message. Deion needs to change his message if he actually cares about playing with a Flying Elvis on his helmet again.

15. Jacky Roberts

Jacky Roberts 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pardon my ignorance, but considering how much a franchised wide out costs, wouldn't Branch WANT to be franchised next year? Seems he'd make a lot more money.

16. 5 Rings for Brady!!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The sad part is that I suspect Deion actually thinks that he is going to work things out with the team. If that is the case, he is being mislead by his agent. This is the only gray area I can think of. Chayut has no gray area, and the Pats front office has no gray area on this issue.

17. RoughingthePasser

RoughingthePasser Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I dunno.
    (please no providing contact information, published or otherwise)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2006
  18. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

The tag is a tool that does two things - it pressures the player to be reasonable to get a long term deal done even on the eve of FA and it gives the team the ability to retain his rights for themselves (to use or trade) at a premium price if he simply won't. Wanting the tag waived is shorthand for saying I will negotiate but unless I get exactly what I want I'm walking. And given that this is a team disinclined to give anyone exactly what they want (because most players and agents by nature want more than they are worth) it's really saying promise me I can go get overpaid in the FA market next year and playing for that 5th year of my rookie deal that my agent has claimed he and I were coerced into signing will suddenly not be a problem.

On WEEI yesterday when they briefly talked football Ordway was claiming it made no sense because given the tag will likely be $7M+ that should be a best case scenario for Deion. Only that's stupid logic. Sure it's more than the AAV of any deal he will get, but if he took the deal on the table by next March he would have $9M in his bank account before he ever sets foot on even a practice field in 2007 with a couple million more to come in salary. And there is no point comparing it to re-tagging him in 2008 because that is not going to happen - since for him that second tag would be approaching $9M.

So what he really doesn't want is to be tagged and traded because that stifles his FA market since the team he goes to can only be one of a handful who was able to reach a compensation agreement with us for the right to sign him as a FA. That need to matchup can take some of the potential big spenders out of the running early since they have either have fewer draft picks because they've been using them as trading chips for a while or they value those they have too much to expend them on a player they will also likely have to pay a premium or they are an AFC team we are disinclined to trade a starting WR to.

That's why I really think he just wants out after this season. Period.

And that may be fine with the club at this juncture, only they want something for him in return since they feel they made a good faith effort to get him extended dating back to 2005 (an offer on the heels of his SB MVP Chayut barely mentions except to characterize as an insult at that time) and have every reason to expect compensation for that fact that he was apparently unsignable. I'm sure if they knew the depth of his determination back then they would have shopped him high after his (pre 900+ yard) Superbowl MVP in 2005 rather than waste two offseasons banging their heads against a brick wall. They should have shopped him this season and likely would have if not for the fact that they were losing Givens at the same time. They need a familiar body in the #1 slot for 2006 - which is why he won't be shopped as a holdout either.

I really think he and his agent have been on a bender since Jim Nance handed him the keys to the Escalade. Chayut never offered details on the 2005 offer that he termed an insult, but given we tried to sign Mason a few months later for 4/$20M we likely offered the younger but less established Branch something in the 4/$15M+ incentives vacinity 2 years ahead of FA.

I thought they went after Mason last March because they weren't sold on Branch as a viable #1, in part because of durability concerns long term. But it now appears they went after Mason because they weren't able to get a long term deal done with Branch when they wanted to, and they were trying to shore up that position in advance because both of the young WR they had selected and groomed for 3 years were already signaling they were only interested in positioning themselves for that big FA payday.

19. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That option would only apply for the Pats if Branch made it out of the season healthy and was a solid contributor in 2006. However, if Branch has that type of season, he's more valuable in the FA market.

20. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

Interesting.....