Welcome to PatsFans.com

Are they racist or ignorant?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 14, 2012.

?

The belief that Obama is a Muslim is

1. Racist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ignorant

21.4%
  3. Racist and ignorant

42.9%
  4. Other

35.7%
  1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -11

Poll: Obama is a Muslim to many GOP voters in Alabama, Mississippi - latimes.com

The poll of Mississippi Republicans found that 52% said they believed Obama is a Muslim, 36% weren’t sure and only 12% said they believed he is a Christian. He fared slightly better in Alabama, where 45% said he is a Muslim, 41% weren’t sure, and 14% said he is a Christian.

The PPP poll released Monday showed some changes, with 67% of Alabama Republicans saying they believe interracial marriage should be legal, though 21% said it still should be against the law. In Mississippi, 54% said it should be allowed, while 29% said it should remain illegal.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +812 / 2 / -9

Whats wrong with being a Muslim, If I were a Muslim I would be proud of it.....:confused:

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

wait, in MS 29% said interracial marriage should remain illegal? wouldn't that mean it currently is illegal?

I don't think mistaken beliefs about Obama's religion are racist. They're either ignorant or xenophobic.

otoh, beliefs that interracial marriage should be illegal are either racist or ignorant, imo

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

How is believing Obama's a muslim racist? Oh, I get it. Anything that can be percieved as negative toward the president, that comes from white people, is automatically racist. :rolleyes:

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +618 / 12 / -5

#24 Jersey

The questions asked aren't really racist, are they? Islam is a religion, not a race. The fact that a large percentage of them think Obama is Muslim may have nothing to do with his race and everything to do with listening to Rush Limbaugh and Obama's middle name. Much like most people assume that anyone whose name is "Patrick Sean O'Malley" is Irish Catholic and anyone named "Hershel Abraham Yakovlevich" is a Russian Jew or " Sun Li Chang" is a Chinese Buddhist- or that someone named "Steve Jobs" is anything but American born and bred. They assume that someone named "Barack Hussain Obama" is a Muslim - if he's black, he's probably an African Muslim. Never mind that Patrick Sean's mother's name is Revka Sarah Weinstein, or that Hershel's mother's name is "Cindy-Sue Hatfield" or that Sun Li's mother's name is "Natalie Narducci ," and that Steve Jobs. was adopted and his birth name was "Abdulfattah Jandali."

Since 53% of those from Alabama and 51% of those from Mississippi like Rush Limbaugh and 60% of those from Alabama and a whopping 66% of those from Mississippi also do not believe in evolution, I have to go with purely ignorant.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

Not sure it has to do completely with racism, as this is one of those lies that if repeated often enough it becomes a fact...

He is as "Christian" as any of our former presidents... no matter what he does or will do the minds of a few will never change.

7. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +209 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Didn't you know that Islam is a race......:bricks:

8. Patters

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -11

I think that if Obama was white, this would not be an issue. The fact is it is far more socially unacceptable to be a racist than an Islamophobe, so I think that when people accuse him (and it is an accusation to those bigots) of being Muslim it's a cover for their racism.

9. Drewski

Ratings:
    +209 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

What you think is fine, and you are free to your opinion....but just like what I think....doesn't make it so.

The fact is you (nor I) know what it would be like if Obama was white, pretending to know what that fantasy world would look like is just odd...

I would also venture to say that an educated, white dude, from NY, who has spent time living in Europe would be the last person I would ask to "interpret whether asking some backwoods Alabamites (??) or Mississippians whether Obama is a Muslim" is cover for their racism.

I mean one of the poll questions was about religion which has nothing to do with race.

The other was about race...so yes you could say that those responses show evidence of racism.

Or were you trying to do something completely different?

"Well this percent of people in AL/MS think Obama is Muslim, and this percent; which is close to that percent, think interracial marriage is bad, so...um....um....therefore people who think Obama is a Muslim are racist...I think. :rolleyes:

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +812 / 2 / -9

So what if he's a Muslim, why do liberals ignore the fact that Obama is just as much White as he is Black, only his skin doesn't show it.

If I were Muslim this thread would offend me.

In fact I am offended anyway, I am White and I am offended by the Racism shown towards my people by never mentioning the fact that this president of the USA is also WHITE.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

Racism does not apply to white men or women

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -11

Factor in the fact that conservatives tend to be older, that the south has a history of racism, and it's not unreasonable to speculate that many of those voting were part of the Alabama and Mississippi's racist history. Factor in the fact that a large percentage of these people oppose interracial marriage, which it's hard to imagine why anyone would oppose for non racist reasons. Of course, it doesn't mean they're racist or even anti-Muslim. But, I don't think it's beyond commonsense to think these people are motivated by Obama being an other. Since it's no longer socially acceptable to attack him for being black, they attack him for being Muslim.

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +618 / 12 / -5

#24 Jersey

14. Drewski

Ratings:
    +209 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

For someone who's post history seems to carry the battle flag of being opposed to making blanket statements regarding groups of people (stereotypes), you certainly have no qualms doing it when it is people you disagree with, but again, and I made this point in the "Ugliest man in America thread". I love your honesty.

I don't really know a good way to discuss your "Conservatives = Older" so Ill go with Median Age of State:

Alabama - 37 Years old (22nd oldest)
    Mississippi - 34 Years old (43rd oldest)

For sh*ts and grins (Liberal States):

Vermont - 40.4 Y/O (2nd oldest)
    MASS - 38.1 Y/O (11th oldest)
    NY - 37.3 Years (19th oldest)

So these two Conservative states have a younger median age than 3 more liberal states....but how can that be? Patters said Conservatives tend to be older.......

The south does have a history of racism, but lets not pretend that it stopped at the Mason-Dixon line. Boston is one of the most racist (albeit covert compared to the overt racism in the south) cities in America.

I would agree with this part of your post completely.

Maybe they are... I have no idea what people's motivations are. But you start throwing around terms like "beyond commonsense to think" and "these people" and you are skating really close to a dirty line....profiling.

I mean you are taking the majority of conservatives in AL/MS who say Obama is a Muslim and combining that with a portion of the population is anti Interracial marriage....and profiling all Conservatives in AL/MS as "old, white, racist Muslim haters".

I would agree that there is probably a decent percentage of people who are exactly what you are stating them to be.....but you are taking that description of a portion of the population and extrapolating it to the whole....

what's that called again......drats, I forget :rolleyes:

EDIT - Source for age information:
    http://www.statemaster.com/graph/peo_med_age-people-median-age

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

The world according to Patters... :rolleyes:

Drewski, like I said in my previous post. When it comes to people like Patters, anything that can be percieved as being negative toward Obama, that is said by white people, is always attributable to racism. Matter of fact, in Patters' world racism is a whites only type deal, since he thinks that black people can't be racist.

16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Post. Of. The. Year.

17. Drewski

Ratings:
    +209 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I disagree with things Obama has done...you could even say I would apply a negative adjective to describe my view of his performance...if that makes me a racist.....well not sure what to tell ya.

I will say this. The more we as a society takes things which are devoid of racism and make them "racist" the more it marginalizes instances which are inherently racist. I don't pretend to think racism is a thing of the past, we all know differently. But in a Boy who cried wolf sort of way, if "everything" can be construed as such, what does that mean for events which truly are?

18. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Exactly my sentiments pal.

19. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

I don't think this actually happens. I think we hear a lot about unfounded claims of racism, because a lot of people don't want to hear about things that are, or may be, racist.

There are some things in life that are overtly racist. nobody would deny that they are. (On this board, these are the instances where certain people would casually acknowledge the racism and then deflect to something else.)

There are also things that are less clear. Are some claims of racism in fact unfounded? sure. and some are debatable. But a lot of times things racism does crop up, just not in violent or otherwise clear ways.

There's nothing wrong with discussing racism in its less overt forms, just because the racists don't want to be called on it. Racism isn't limited to lynchings. Talking about the less overt instances in no way lessens the severity of the more overt cases, unless we let that happen.

(In some ways this reminds me of MLK's criticism of whites who pretended to support blacks' civil rights but infact only wanted whites treated decently, not equally.)

20. Drewski

Ratings:
    +209 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Chico - my post wasn't limited to violent, overt racism being the only kind. I would actually go so far to state that most examples of racism in our country currently are relatively covert, non violent examples, which are no less serious than their more violent, overt counterparts.

I mean look at European Soccer - couple of weeks ago a player refused to shake hands in a game against Man U with a player who was black (because he was black), and flat out said so in the post game press conference. Or when soccer fans throw bananas on the field when black players have the ball, or make gorilla noises. Do those types of overt examples happen here regularly? If they do please point me in the direction of evidence because I would like to educate myself.

Covert Racism is no less serious than Overt, just like non violent racism is no less serious than violent racism.

My point was is we get examples of "look racism!!!!" on here a lot, and some times its legitimate and very sad because it is. Then we get examples where you read the story, and its "racism" because there is a minority involved.

We have posters here who see "white", "other (as Patters put it)" and "something negative happening" and automatically, almost as if it is a natural reaction like breathing, say "Ah-Ha!!! Racist Old White Conservatives".

Racism is a huge deal, and we should continue to work as a country to get rid of it where possible. But when some event happens and you slap this hugely important tag on it, when you shouldn't, we don't have another tag (racism) for the events which truly should be recognized and dealt with, as such.

D