PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are they patriots done in FA now with Ocho and Albert?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree they should go after Matt Roth.

Back when he was cut by the Phins, the Pats did not put in a waiver claim. Don't see how anything has changed since then.

Roth strikes me as a the type of mediocre player who teams sign to a relatively large contract in unrestricted free agency just to feel like they've 'upgraded.' Nothing about him makes him stand out to me. Honestly, I'd call him a poor man's Rob Ninkovich if I had to describe him. No use signing guys just to sign them.

Osi, on the other hand...

Man, I hope not. Albert is a great addition IMO but we still need another pass rusher.

Roth strikes me as a the type of mediocre player who teams sign to a relatively large contract in unrestricted free agency just to feel like they've 'upgraded.' Nothing about him makes him stand out to me. Honestly, I'd call him a poor man's Rob Ninkovich if I had to describe him. No use signing guys just to sign them.

Osi, on the other hand...

I don't know how good the player is, but one can certainly bet that he will receive a premium for his services.

Khayos - If they cut Kazur, then yes. There is room. Plus they have the 3.5M Vet exemption. Which is where I think they put Chad..

Didn't they use $1m of that on Sammy Morris?

I can see them waiting until the FA frenzy is fully over, and then picking up an OLB at a reasonable price. By then, maybe Mankins has a long term deal ( here or if he has to be the highest paid G via a trade), at which point there will be more money to avoid too many further cuts ( than TBC and Kazcur). Hopefully one of Roth/Manny are still available then. However, I expect one of our existing pash rushers (always like Cunningham and I think Moore is hidden gold)having a true breakout season anyway, so am not as worried as others over this.

They havent done anything in FA yet. :cool:

I dont think they are done yet.

If we can get Roth, and then somehow address RG on top of that, this would be pretty much the ideal offseason.

Honestly, I think that they should sign their own players. A Mankins long term deal, would complete this offseason for me. :)

Yes, I still very much want Lawson, Avril, or Roth.

Cunningham, Ninkovich, and Markell Carter? Dangerously thin at one spot. One injury and you are subbing Arrington in for stretches.

Cunningham, Ninkovich, and Markell Carter? Dangerously thin at one spot. One injury and you are subbing Arrington in for stretches.

Glad you mentioned Avril. He was one of my binkies coming out of Purdue. Has done well for himself in Detroit. Maybe, Leigh Bodden can help us recruit him.

I think we still have space. We had 8.3m coming in. 3.5m exemption. And saved 2m by cutting TBC. That's about 13.8m. Sounds like the trio of Johnson, Haynesworth and Morris adds up to about 10m. We need 5.8m for rookies. Not good news for Kaczur IMO. We'll need the 2 of the 3m we save by cutting him to go towards that. If we can extend Mankins I think that gives us enough space for an olb. Could leave Matt Light out in the cold if we go olb.

Honestly, I think that they should sign their own players. A Mankins long term deal, would complete this offseason for me. :)

A Mankins long-term deal would free up cap room rather than taking it, since they're currently on the hook for $10M this season. With an extension, that would be reduced to $9 at most, more likely $7-8

Last edited:

Nope.....they've got Barrett to play the Big Nickle role(225 lb safety).

With Hayneworth to aid the Pass Rush, now the Pats can go get a fully capable 3-4 OLB.

Manny Lawson can set the edge well, and drop into coverage, excellently. He has good, but not great pass rushing ability. But they can afford and don't need that as much, now.

I want Manny Lawson as the final touch...

Sign Mankins long-term and save some money, resign Light, and then trade Kaczur to save some more.

Except that Haynesworth won't stick. Half the season if we are lucky

Estatic about OchoCinco. Luke warm about Haynesworth. Still think the Pats could add Roth or Lawson at OLB.

Bradley formerly of the Eagles depending on health.

Bradley formerly of the Eagles depending on health.

He's a 4-3 MLB and not a very good one at that, I'd rather they bring back Tracy White to play ST than sign another ILB type. In fact they should do that anyways.

Last edited:
Can we get Asomugha? I feel greedy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back