Welcome to PatsFans.com

Are there enough rich white men

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Are there enough rich white men registered to vote to put Romney and Ryan in the white house?

Groups alienated:

1. Women (abortion/birthcontrol rights)
    2. Blacks ( Voter ID laws in urban areas )
    3. Latino (Papers please/ self deportation)
    4. Seniors (ending Medicare)
    5. Young people ( Voter ID laws for students )
    6. The middle class ( they pay more than 13% income tax )

Groups NOT alienated

1. Rich white men (Totally down with MItt)
    2. Asians?

seems to me this is a doomed strategy.
  2. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Kinda bored so I'll play along HD.

No argument here. Although, I would guess that many women who may vote R share R&R's view on abortion, or at the very least are against it. Ditto BC.

Probably wouldn't vote for them anyway.

I have to admit though that I don't understand the POV of being against some form of ID to vote. If it were put into practice, you could provide a state ID for free to people who couldn't afford one, and the whole "driving" to the DMV thing doesn't fly since I haven't gone to a DMV to renew my license since I moved back from Indo.

No argument

If what I have read on the interwebs and heard on the news is true, then I don't see how this is the issue people are making it out. Doesn't Obamacare cut something like $700B from Medicare?

See above.

Not to mention if we are going to card for booze and smokes, shouldn't we have a better safeguard than "Name and Address Please" to vote?

I will attempt to speak for no one else but me. The tax return thing means so little to me in the long scheme of things. Rich people benefit by having items they can reduce their income with. While I think everyone should pay their fair share, I'm not one to question what someone pays or doesn't, as long as they are paying what we legally deem them responsible for. Not too mention, I still can't comprehend how "tax returns show how a person would lead".

Romney could be the worst presidential candidate/POTUS ever, but at the end of the day that wont be dictated by what he paid in taxes.

Also, I paid less than him last year (effective rate wise; 10%) and my household income puts me in a much higher bracket...and my super fancy accountant is........TurboTax.
  3. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

I think it matters insofar as Rmoney's candidacy is entirely premised on making things easier for wealthy people. For example, under Ryan's plan Mittens would pay something like 1% in taxes.

And after all, wouldn't the fact that Rmoney has, in all likelihood, paid very, very little in taxes for over a decade underscore the unfairness inherent in our tax system and call into question the need to further cut taxes on the wealthy?
  4. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

If that is how you view his entire candidacy, then I guess...so....

Where are you getting the 1% number from?

I don't need Mitt Romney's Tax Returns to know that our system of Taxing is broken and sucks.

I guess there in lies my "divide" so to speak.

I think Romney sucks for his stances, not because he takes advantage of the system we allow him to.

Mitt Romney has a record (both public and private) to which a person can review and come to a conclusion to vote for the man or not. Focusing on his tax returns, to me, seems like you care more about him being rich and privileged than you do about the issues we face. Like/Dislike the man because his stance on "issue X". But to play the "he's rich and takes advantage card" reeks of hypocracy, because as I have said before on this board, all pols (at the very least those running for POTUS) are rich - does it matter that one is super-dooper-dooper rich vs just mega-super rich? And all rich people have tax benes that we peons don't. If you are going to hold this aspect against Romney, then you have to hold it against basically every president (sans Truman and Carter) in the last 100 years or so. Was being rich bad for the Kennedy's? I seem to hear quite a bit around these parts as to how awesome JFK/Teddy were, but his supporters look straight past their mega wealth.

I don't think it is coincidence that the first time "tax returns" have become a "campaign issue" is when the richest guy to make it this far in the process shows up (from a D/R perspective). Just seems like an attempt to play on the anger associated with class warfare. If you get people to hate someone for being rich, then your job is done. And these are freshly stoked emotions....with the economy in the can, Tea Party, OWS etc etc etc.

Again, I don't support Mittens and and I certainly don't support our current tax code. But I am not going to make him the poster child of that issue because it is sooooooo much bigger than him.

We have enough issues we are facing this election....some dudes tax returns isnt one of them.

Sorry for the ramble.

D
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Many adults with children who pay taxes and worried about the futures of their children and grandchildren.

Many people who can't get a job or are underemployed and are seeing their future destroyed in this economy and are worried about that.

Not everybody who votes are uninformed narcissistic libs who care only for what the government can do for them and the hell with the future generation.

Many people who Muslims, Protestants and Catholics are deeply disturbed by abortion.
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How do you figure that?
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey, Jack, where'd you go? You respond to just about every single other post of mine, why not this one?

I'd accuse you of doing your usual "Sammy Davis Jr." routine but with you, it's much more like Forrest Gump.

Run, Jack, Run! :singing: :singing: :singing:
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 1 / -9

Obama is white, so was his mother.

When Obama wants money for his re-election he takes it from White Millionaires
  9. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +112 / 22 / -12

#32 Jersey

The facts do not support your claims Jack.

1% tax rate :rolleyes: Ok. :p

Mitt Romney releases tax returns - The Washington Post

The Romneys sent somewhat less to Washington over that period, paying an estimated $6.2 million in federal income taxes. According to his 2010 return, Romney paid about $3 million to the IRS, for an effective tax rate of 13.9 percent.
    For 2011, Romney estimates that he will pay about $3.2 million, for an effective rate of 15.4 percent. That’s in line with his earlier estimates, but sharply lower than the rates paid by President Obama and Romney’s closest Republican rival, Newt Gingrich.
    “You’ll see my income, how much taxes

Because the bulk of Romney’s income flows from investment profits, it is taxed at a flat 15 percent rate, far below the highest rates on ordinary wages.
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

~15% makes sense since his income is from capital gains these days, of course the capital used wa taxed as ordianry income when forst earned.
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Almost certainly 0 in 2009.

Think about your write-downs for that year if all your income is from stocks & none from payroll income. How much is he selling at a loss? How much goes off the table because the loss is total and therefore unrecoverable (in the case of bankruptcies?)

Son of Boss here can't go further back than '10 because 2009 was the big kahuna in terms of gigantic tax write-downs.

All of this "If we release 2 they'd want 3 if we release 3 they want 5 if we release 5 they'd want 10" stuff is probably a big smoke screen for 2009 PR nightmare.

By the way, although he's now released, as promised, not just one but two years of returns, the above refrain became an old GOP favorite while he'd only released one year of returns.

Perfect way to draw the line at the recovery (2010.)

PFnV
  12. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

By the way, the OP has missed the concept of trickle down demographics. If you want more of something, you just tax it less :D
  13. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +604 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Best post in the thread Harry Boy Boy ...
  14. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are there enough rich white men to tax for Obama's budget?
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

I have read analysis that the upper income folks (the rich for all you class warriors) lost the greatest % of income in the crash, this explains in part why revenues have dipped below the 18% of GDP historical avg. I am guessing that is what they are hoping for in Romney's that cap gain losses resulted in a year where he paid no taxes.
  16. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Romney's possible tax evasion is very important because if he doesn't have the side of the so called 99%, he will -lose-.

Not even arguing facts and morality here, only perception. People feel the banks and financial wizardry screwed over this country.

A candidate who makes the majority of his wealth from 'financial wizardry' and avoids paying taxes will never be President.
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Have a link to indicate the IRS questioning his returns?
  18. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

I'm speaking of general perception, as clearly indicated, not the actual IRS.

It's unavoidable when you break decades of tradition your own father started.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  19. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +200 / 3 / -10

Not for nuthin', but as a group of people, nothing wrong with wealthy white men. It's not as if they're anyone's enemy or anything.

Can we say anything about poor black men? Just askin'....

sometimes I think people in here actually believe it's ok to ciriticize white people and/or rich people but not ok to criticize poor people or minorities.

Hmmmm......
  20. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +200 / 3 / -10

We can banter around all the facts & figures, but in the end, no one's going to ever change their vote due to what someone posts on the Patsfans.com/political board.

And that's a good thing.