PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Pats ready to deal Laurence Maroney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Are the New England Patriots Ready To Deal Laurence Maroney?

Some guys in here are so pathetic to make excuses about how injuries and everything else is a reason as to why a guy wearing a Patriot uniform does not suck

BUT

When a guy like Gholston does not do anything on his first season as a pro he is an automatic bust just because he is on the Jets but proven losers like Chad Jackson were given 3 years to 'develop' because he was a Patriot .... Thats pure stupidity guys

Maroney has had ample opportunities to show that he was a good pick in 2006 but so far he has shown little flashes sporadically at best.

Our 2006 draft will go down as an overall very poor draft year and one of Pioli and Belichicks worst this decade,Thankfully most of the other drafts since 2000 were very good or we would not even have 1 title this decade if all were like 06

This years draft has to include a replacement for LoMo who will be saying goodbye next year IMO
Case adjourned. There really isn't any more that can be said regarding Maroney, as far as I'm concerned. Good post, FANPA. Unfortunately, it's an argument that you may ultimately lose in a Pats forum. No room for objectivity here . . . I tried and got burned already.:p

Last edited:

Whether it can happen or not, I would not at all be sad to see him go, especially if we're talking about a way to work it out with JP. I feel like I'm really over LM at this point. He's been a constant disappointment and the only time that I was ever happy with him (outside of his rookie season) was in the AFCCG against the Chargers where he just took the game over at the end. Other than that, there's been little for me to be happy about with his performances.

Laurence Maroney has been dominant every time hes stepped on the field. The problem is, he can't stay on the field.

Hes got no trade value because hes been so hurt, and he would cost the patriots more to trade than to keep. Hes not going anywhere.

Case adjourned. There really isn't any more that can be said regarding Maroney, as far as I'm concerned. Good post, FANPA. Unfortunately, it's an argument that you may ultimately lose in a Pats forum. No room for objectivity here . . . I tried and got burned already.:p

No, the problem is objectivity is being tossed out by you two.

He's got over a 4 yard per carry average. Hes great by DVOA. So saying hes a dissapointment, or hasn't performed, is nothing but subjective blather.

Objectively, hes been way above average, just hurt.

No, the problem is objectivity is being tossed out by you two.

He's got over a 4 yard per carry average. Hes great by DVOA. So saying hes a dissapointment, or hasn't performed, is nothing but subjective blather.

Objectively, hes been way above average, just hurt.

If you say so. There is no way I'm even getting into a back-and-forth. Durability, last time I checked, has often been a criterion for assessing greatness. Like I said in my very original post, I would not at all be sad to see him go. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.;)

Last edited:

If you say so. There is no way I'm even getting into a back-and-forth. Like I said in my very original post, I would not at all be sad to see him go. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.;)

Thats fine, but to say WE aren't being objective is ridiculous.

The only objective fact on here is 4.4 ypc.

Thats fine, but to say WE aren't being objective is ridiculous.

The only objective fact on here is 4.4 ypc.

By chance, did you read the context of the rest of his statement? I'm not at all attacking you, just wondering. I feel his argument makes a bit more sense when you look at the basis of his statement. That's why I agreed with it.

Last edited:

By chance, did you read the context of the rest of his statement? I'm not at all attacking you, just wondering. I feel his argument makes a bit more sense when you look at the basis of his statement. That's why I agreed with it.

Yes. His statement is a bunch of crap. He's arguing that we like maroney because hes a patriot, and hate gholston because hes a jet. Thats not true.

Gholston sucks at football. Thats a bust.

Maroney is good at football, but has consistently been too hurt to play. Thats different.

Some guys in here are so pathetic to make excuses about how injuries and everything else is a reason as to why a guy wearing a Patriot uniform does not suck

That about says it all. If you can't distinguish between a player being hurt, and a player not being any good, then you don't understand sports. PATRIOTSFANINPA clearly doesnt.

I view a forum as an opportunity to express your opinion on your favorite team,and since mine is the Pats,I am here.

Not everything I type will be approved of and not everything will be disagreed with,but that makes a great forum for pro and con that makes patsfans.com always an interesting read.

Yeah,Chad Jackson had a 'shed load of talent' too - The only problem is it was in COLLEGE and not the Pros

Same for LoMo,That 4.4 yards average is such a bogus stat - How about a stat that shows how many times he takes a drop on the first hit or dances around looking for a hole instead of trying to make the most yardage he can by using strength to get somewhere besides negative yardage? - You won't find that stat anywhere

The OL is to blame at times for not having made room for rushing lanes but if you are to tell me that every great back had a great OL I would say you are full of sh!t

And the question has never been answered why Morris and Jordan and yes even BJGE all looked better running behind that very same OL. Does the OL gather in a huddle and say - Hey it's that Maroney guy again, let's not block for him. Alright, good plan. Break!

And the question has never been answered why Morris and Jordan and yes even BJGE all looked better running behind that very same OL. Does the OL gather in a huddle and say - Hey it's that Maroney guy again, let's not block for him. Alright, good plan. Break!

Morris looks better because he can pass block. Maroney can't, so every time he comes in, they load the line. The patriots line also runs a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BLOCKING SCHEME when maroney is on the field. You'd know that if you watched the games.

BJGE had 3.7 YPC. So you thinking he looks better is just your bais agains Maroney, who has averaged a FULL YARD BETTER.

That about says it all. If you can't distinguish between a player being hurt, and a player not being any good, then you don't understand sports. PATRIOTSFANINPA clearly doesnt.

Do you have 'I am a patriots homer' as a tattoo on you?

Maroney will do in 2009 what he has done for the past 3 years - Sporadic signs of productivity followed by north and south looking for holes that will never develop on the LOS until he gets tackled for a loss followed by a mixture of dancing falling down often in the backfield on the first hit and then entering the annual IR or weeks off for injury vacation.

If you expect a sudden resurgence,I suggest to look elsewhere or prepare to put your foot in your mouth again .... for a 4th consecutive season of futility,of course that 4.4 will be your excuse as another wasted season as our lead back will come and go - bank on it.

If Bey or Wells was drafted by us in round 1 (Moreno will be gone by #23) it would not be a shock to me but to tell Lomo its time to put up or shut up.

Last edited:

Do you have 'I am a patriots homer' as a tattoo on you?

Maroney will do in 2009 what he has done for the past 3 years - Sporadic signs of productivity followed by north and south looking for holes that will never develop on the LOS until he gets tackled for a loss followed by a mixture of dancing falling down often in the backfield on the first hit and then entering the annual IR or weeks off for injury vacation.

If you expect a sudden resurgence,I suggest to look elsewhere or prepare to put your foot in your mouth again .... for a 4th consecutive season of futility,of course that 4.4 will be your excuse as another wasted season as our lead back will come and go - bank on it.

If Bey or Wells was drafted by us in round 1 (Moreno will be gone by #23) it would not be a shock to me but to tell Lomo its time to put up or shut up.

Do you mean Brown or Wells? I wouldn't be surprised either btw

Do you mean Brown or Wells? I wouldn't be surprised either btw

Both are overrated bums. They wont get anywhere near my football team I'll tell you that much.

Both are overrated bums. They wont get anywhere near my football team I'll tell you that much.

One led the nation in rushing, the other has tremendous size and strength, Big 10 all team 3x--saying those guys are bums is not too bright

Last edited:

Belioli had a brain cramp in 2006 drafting a thoroughbred to pull a plow...

Some of you really scream ESPN Board refugee.

The Patriots attempted to incorporate a zone blocking system in 2006 but the OL personnel could not accomplish that absent substantial personnel substitutions which proved to be too difficult to manage in game. The plan was scrapped following the pre season, and the decision to remain with the power blocking scheme that favored Dillon's style was made. Unfortunately, they also discovered 2005 was not an abherration, but rather Dillon was toast. Extending his contract was truly a mistake. Their plan for a divergent 2 back system was also toast.

By 2007 Maroney had already been injured attempting to run behind the power scheme. They "babied" him according to mediots who suddenly blamed him for not being something he was not drafted to be in Dillon's absence - Corey Dillon in his prime... Of course the guy Belioli signed to replace Dillon in the equation...quickly landed on IR himself. It appeared to make little difference until December rolled around as the passing offense was dominant. When it started to struggle down the stretch and into the playoffs, Maroney carried it. In the SB a fairly conscious decision was made not to utilize him in (or much of)the running game. Perhaps because they were relying on him to cover for a gimpy Hobbs in the return game, and they believed in favorable conditions the passing game could not be stopped.

In 2008 whatever injury was nagging Maroney finally landed him on IR with season ending surgery. In the what have you done for me lately league he is worthless...

Career Highlights - from the official team website

2006 Season

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2006 Finished second in the NFL with a 28.0-yard kickoff return avg. ... Led the team is rushing yards seven times in 2006 (vs. BUF, vs. DEN, at CIN, vs. IND, at GB, at JAX, at TEN) ... Recorded his first career NFL touchdown with a 1-yard run in the Patriots' 24-17 win over the N.Y. Jets (9/17/06) ... Named FedEx Ground Player of the Week and Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Week after registering his first career 100-yard rushing game in the Patriots' victory over Cincinnati (10/01/06) ... Named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week after returning two kickoffs for 100 yards, including a 74-yard return in the first quarter against Buffalo (10/22/06) ... Received the Patriots 12th Player Award.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007 Season

In 2007, Maroney ran for 100 or more yards in four of his final six games, including two playoff contests. Of the top 10 single-game rushing totals by Patriots players this decade, Maroney cracked that list three times over a four-game span, totaling 156 yards against Miami (12/23/07) and following that up with back-to-back 122- yard performances against Jacksonville (1/12/08) and San Diego (1/20/08).
Maroney averaged 11.1 yards per carry against Miami on Dec. 23, 2007, totaling a career-high 156 yards on 14 carries. His 11.1 yards per carry is the third highest single-game total in Patriots history (minimum 10 rushes) and the best since Sam Cunningham averaged 11.4 yards per carry (125 yards on 11 carries) on Oct. 20, 1974.
In 2007, Maroney had five 100-yard rushing games, including two in the playoffs. His five 100-yard games were the most for a Patriot since Corey Dillon tied the franchise record with nine 100-yard performances in 2004.
Maroney rushed for a 59-yard touchdown against Miami on Dec. 23, 2007, marking the longest run by a Patriot since 1998, when Sedrick Shaw scampered for 71 yards in the season finale against the New York Jets.
Maroney has recorded two multiple-touchdown games in his career, running for a pair of scores in the 2007 regularseason finale against the New York Giants (12/29) and also totaling a pair of scores at Cincinnati on Oct. 1, 2006.
As a rookie in 2006, Maroney led the team and finished second in the NFL with a 28.0-yard kickoff return average (783 yards on 28 returns).
Maroney was named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week after returning a kickoff 77 yards at Buffalo on Oct. 22, 2006.

2008 Season

2008 (3/3/0/2): Started three of the first four games of the season and had 28 rushes for 93 yards ... Was placed on injured reserve on Oct. 20 with a shoulder injury.

1) Who cares how many games or injuries Vernon had? - The guy had ONE season under his belt and according Patriotville he is already a bust because he is wearing Green - And I think the arrogance goes towards the comparison of our outstanding rookie Mayo - If Mayo had a subpar year instead of being an awesome young starter we would hear nothing about Gholston sucking

You are the one who brought Gholston into the situation as if he were an equal, not I. Maroney was a bottom of the first round pick who ran for 745 yards on a 4.3 ypc average in his rookie year as part of the tandem with Dillon. Jackson missed all of his rookie preseason with a nagging hamstring injury. As a rookie wide receiver, he was immediately behind the eight ball. He saw little time as a rookie, but was really no worse than one would expect out of most rookie receivers who missed all of camp. At the end of the year, he blew out his ACL and his Patriots' career went into an unrecoverable spin.

Gholston was a top 10 pick who did practically nothing at all his rookie season, despite getting the opportunities and being in camp. Try using your head next time.

2) How many games can you say that Maroney was a big reason as to why we won that particular game? - We all know Chad Jackson had an average of yardage per game of about his jersey number (17) when he was healthy that is - Tom freaking Brady could not change him to become decent,that about says it all

No, actually, it doesn't say much at all.

Maroney was outstanding at Minnesota but in the pros is made of Glass and Jackson was a spectacular WR at florida but in the pros was simply a guy who could not make the transition. - Thats the way our round #1 and round #2 selections will look regarding 2006

No, that's the way fools will view round #1 and round #2 selections regarding 2006. People who actually use their brains will realize that there's more to the story.

I guess what you are saying that if Maroney was healthy his whole career he would be a shoo-in for one of the greatest RBs in Pats history - Sorry but I find that very hard to believe,even with 3 consecutive years of perfect health - Maroney is a borderline mediocre RB and always will be to most of us unless he can show more consistency like he has promised the last 2 seasons - that includes staying off of the injury list often for one season

Now this is just a ridiculous argument on your part. What makes it more silly is that I can just point to one former Patriot to illustrate how absurd you are being. Perhaps the name Robert Edwards rings a bell....?

Belichick is not perfect in every decision he makes and Maroney and Jackson were two of those blunders that shows BB is human and makes screwups like every person does.

I've never claimed that Belichick is perfect. I have, in fact, repeatedly brought up the blunder he made in letting Graham get away. However, your assertions and arguments on the current topic are ludicrous. Seriously, comparing the responses to Maroney with the responses to Gholston?

Last edited:

1) Who cares how many games or injuries Vernon had? - The guy had ONE season under his belt and according Patriotville he is already a bust because he is wearing Green - And I think the arrogance goes towards the comparison of our outstanding rookie Mayo - If Mayo had a subpar year instead of being an awesome young starter we would hear nothing about Gholston sucking

2) How many games can you say that Maroney was a big reason as to why we won that particular game? - We all know Chad Jackson had an average of yardage per game of about his jersey number (17) when he was healthy that is - Tom freaking Brady could not change him to become decent,that about says it all

Maroney was outstanding at Minnesota but in the pros is made of Glass and Jackson was a spectacular WR at florida but in the pros was simply a guy who could not make the transition. - Thats the way our round #1 and round #2 selections will look regarding 2006

I guess what you are saying that if Maroney was healthy his whole career he would be a shoo-in for one of the greatest RBs in Pats history - Sorry but I find that very hard to believe,even with 3 consecutive years of perfect health - Maroney is a borderline mediocre RB and always will be to most of us unless he can show more consistency like he has promised the last 2 seasons - that includes staying off of the injury list often for one season

Belichick is not perfect in every decision he makes and Maroney and Jackson were two of those blunders that shows BB is human and makes screwups like every person does.

1.) Gholston was the #6 pick in the draft and he wasn't even a good special teamer. I don't get the hypocrisy you claim. If you are the sixth pick in the draft and you don't play any contribution to the team whatsover like Gholston your rookie season, you are called a bust until you prove otherwise.
2.) Maroney played a big part in the win in his first game of his career. Three weeks later he had 125 yards and 2 TDs in that win against Cincy. He had one of the team's two TDs in the 17-14 win vs. the Bears. He had 2 TDs vs. the Giants the last game of the season last year. He had the winning TD vs. Philly. He had 122 yards and a TD back to inthe playoffs in in 2007.

We could go on and on, some of us like him and some don't.

Some expected a little more from him, some a lot more.

I think he deserves one last shot, if he doesn't play up to par in 09, more and more people will get on him. Plus his cap hit, etc benefits him. I was just saying I wouldn't be that shocked to draft a RB, that's all. And yesterday, my argument was that BJGE should make the 5 man RB committee, that was poked at too

Absolutely crazy. Using LoMo for bait in a Peppers deal.......

That would be like the Pats throwing in Vrable along with a mediocre Cassel deal.

OK, but seriously, I can't see the Panthers even wanting LoMo.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye