PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are The Patriots TE Shopping?

If Ballard plays 2+ quarters with the starters, then we'll simply move forward with Ballard, Sudfeld and Hooman.

If all three are healthy, I don't see why Belichick would want any of the scrubs available except to play Game 4.

After all, for most of our posters, the choice has always been Hooman or Fells.

Did I miss something or is Jake Ballard injured? :confused:

Could just be that they want 4 TEs, but Hoomanawanui sucks, Fells is injured, and Gronk isn't ready to come back.

Could just be that they want 4 TEs, but Hoomanawanui sucks, Fells is injured, and Gronk isn't ready to come back.

I've never understood what they see in Hooman. Guy is soft like Charmin.

Okay, so one source says one thing and the other claims the opposite.

Just another day in the media world ;)

BTW--I agree what you're saying about the lack of sufficient TE's around the league who are deciding to copy more duo sets. Kind of ironic. I'm still not sure we'd be able to get too much for either one of Fells/Hooman. Definitely nothing for Hooman, possibly a very late round pick for Fells at best IMO.

I deleted part of the second tweet about trading Mallett for Jordan Cameron to avoid another Tebow crap-fest. The second tweet is equally about acquiring a TE.

I deleted part of the second tweet about trading Mallett for Jordan Cameron to avoid another Tebow crap-fest. The second tweet is equally about acquiring a TE.

The second Tweet makes me think the first Tweet is BS. Why would the Pats trade Mallett for Jordan Cameron? Why would they trade much of anything for Jordan Cameron? The guy really hasn't done much of anything in his career.

My guess is Fells is more injured than we think and Hooman isn't impressing. That leaves Sudfeld and Ballard until Gronk gets back, and that's not enough.

People are making this much more complicated than it needs to be.

Men will always love shopping for tools at Home Depot no matter many and how great are the ones they already own.

Women will always love shopping for more shoes, no matter how many and how great are the ones they already own.

Belichick will always love shopping at the TE shop. :D

The second Tweet makes me think the first Tweet is BS. Why would the Pats trade Mallett for Jordan Cameron? Why would they trade much of anything for Jordan Cameron? The guy really hasn't done much of anything in his career.

It's my fault for not making things clearer. There are two completely different sources in the OP. now source #2 is questionable but I included it because they were including a reference to putting feelers out about a TE so there was a degree of verification at least. Sorry for not making things clearer.

Also the Mallett/Cameron thing was a hypothetical, not a rumour.

Rob Gronkowski - New England Patriots - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

https://twitter.com/PatriotsXLVIII/status/370632882420985856

Is this precautionary considering the lack of injury 100% fitness for Gronk and Ballard and because Sudfeld is still an untested rookie? What does it say about Fells and Hooman if anything?

Both sources suggest the Pats are trying to acquire TEs so how is it misleading?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the second "source" simply some anonymous fan of the Patriots that goes by the twitter handle of PatriotsXLVIII, listing his credentials as "Driving the Patriots bus to East Rutherford, New Jersey (SBXLVIII). Musket loader for Patriot Militia"?

"On a serious note, I can confirm the #Patriots are TE shopping."​

Well, if he can confirm it then it certainly must be true!

As for Mortensen and the rest of the staff at the world wide leader, it seems to me that their 'insider' gossip turns out to be false as often if not more often than it is correct. Even if there is indeed a source telling him something then it is just as likely it is an intentional misdirection.

The Patriots may indeed be looking to trade for a TE - but personally I'm not going to put much faith in that being a fact due to either of these 'sources'. The new NFL Insiders show promotes itself as being the first to bring you the latest rumors and speculation. Sounds to me like they're seeking to emulate the commercial success of Pro Football Talk, and discarding X's and O's from canceled shows like NFL Playbook and NFL Matchup for the low hanging fruit of gossip.

Last edited:
Another Move TE is an absolute must. Very disappointed, but not surprised, that Dallas Clark
was allowed to sign with the Ratbirds. Ex-Pat David Thomas is still available, however.

These so-called sources remind me of NEM's midnight phone calls pregnant with supposed inside information.

BREAKING NEWS:
BB to trade with Lions for Fauria

Ballard is going to struggle making this roster. He was completely manhandled in blocking tonight and his injury unfortunately looks to have seriously derailed a promising career. I don't think he'll make the team this year. Hoom doesn't really have enough skill or upside potential to justify his salary and his roster spot. The point is, there are a lot better guys out there than these two, especially after final cutdowns.

With Fells/Gronk hurt, we do need some assistance at this position.

Re: Re: Are The Patriots TE Shopping?

Rob Gronkowski - New England Patriots - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

https://twitter.com/PatriotsXLVIII/status/370632882420985856

Is this precautionary considering the lack of injury 100% fitness for Gronk and Ballard and because Sudfeld is still an untested rookie? What does it say about Fells and Hooman if anything?

I think he is doing his DD to see what these players look like, who'd be a good fit if during the season we suffer an injury or Gronk as a set back. Basically he is looking at them as shadow roster players, I don't anticipate anyone being signed now.
That's just my opinion on the situation.

Ugh... That Suddy fumble sucked. Seemed to run good routes, he has good speed, size (could use another 10-15lbs) and he has great hands .... Here's hoping he gets the ball put away properly!

Ballard is going to struggle making this roster. He was completely manhandled in blocking tonight and his injury unfortunately looks to have seriously derailed a promising career. I don't think he'll make the team this year. Hoom doesn't really have enough skill or upside potential to justify his salary and his roster spot. The point is, there are a lot better guys out there than these two, especially after final cutdowns.

With Fells/Gronk hurt, we do need some assistance at this position.
I've said it before and I'll say it again; Ballard, Fells and Hoomanawanui are all JAGS. Frankly, they're all lucky to be on an NFL roster. The Patriots are not deep at Tight End despite the "names". It's very much a position of concern, especially if Sudfeld develops a habit of turning the ball over.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Ballard, Fells and Hoomanawanui are all JAGS. Frankly, they're all lucky to be on an NFL roster. The Patriots are not deep at Tight End despite the "names". It's very much a position of concern, especially if Sudfeld develops a habit of turning the ball over.

I always get a kick out of people who express concern after a player's first fumble. Fumbles happen, let's see if he does it again before we start worrying.

I always get a kick out of people who express concern after a player's first fumble. Fumbles happen, let's see if he does it again before we start worrying.
How have I expressed concern? I made a comment about it being problematic if it continues to happen.

Interesting notion mentioned on the G&Z show:

Call K.C., who needs a RB to back up and spell Charles, and see what it would take to pry Moeaki loose. If they'd take Bolden, there's a problem solved.

Moeaki has been a capable TE when not on the shelf, and he'd add another member/exhibit to the glass menagerie.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back