PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Patriots still rebuilding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they are still rebuilding. They will be even better next year after they make some changes in the secondary and get a big play WR that will make the offense SCARY good.

Their Always rebuilding, its a continual process with BB IMO

And that's what makes BB and the job he does EVERY year even more remarkable and special. How many other coaches can deal with the kind of turnover (especially his coaching staff) that he has to deal with and continue to field a contender EVERY season? Even the two times last decade that the Pats missed the playoffs it was by the slimmest of margins. The guy is the best to ever do it, IMHO.

And that's what makes BB and the job he does EVERY year even more remarkable and special. How many other coaches can deal with the kind of turnover (especially his coaching staff) that he has to deal with and continue to field a contender EVERY season? Even the two times last decade that the Pats missed the playoffs it was by the slimmest of margins. The guy is the best to ever do it, IMHO.

The elite QBs allow this to happen.

Manning
Brady
Montana
Young
Marino
Elway

etc....

The elite QBs allow this to happen.

Manning
Brady
Montana
Young
Marino
Elway

etc....

I hear you, Deus. But in fairness to BB (and to defend my point:)) our elite QB was not the reason we won last week. Our elite QB didn't bring this team to an 11-5 record in 2008. Our elite QB had a few stinkers this past season as well, and it was the defense that bailed them out.

With all that said, your point is not lost on me by a long shot. In fact, I've been of the belief that BB is a lot luckier to have TB than the other way around. I know many will disagree and some will flame me for saying that, but I truly believe that.

I hear you, Deus. But in fairness to BB (and to defend my point:)) our elite QB was not the reason we won last week. Our elite QB didn't bring this team to an 11-5 record in 2008. Our elite QB had a few stinkers this past season as well, and it was the defense that bailed them out.

With all that said, your point is not lost on me by a long shot. In fact, I've been of the belief that BB is a lot luckier to have TB than the other way around. I know many will disagree and some will flame me for saying that, but I truly believe that.

Facts are facts. However BB was smart enough to keep 4 QB's in TFB's rookie season. TFB said that he spent game days in the stands eating nacho's.:D

Even the GOAT QB of all time is not enough for losing the core defensive players that the Patriots have over the past 4 years. That is why I have felt all alone that this team was a year away. But here we are in another SB. :rocker:

Facts are facts. However BB was smart enough to keep 4 QB's in TFB's rookie season. TFB said that he spent game days in the stands eating nacho's.:D

Even the GOAT QB of all time is not enough for losing the core defensive players that the Patriots have over the past 4 years. That is why I have felt all alone that this team was a year away. But here we are in another SB. :rocker:

I hear you. Go back a few posts and read my original response. I had my own BB lovefest. Heck, I even defended BB in the very post that you cited. However, I also ask you to look at the history of the game. Every great coach has had a great QB. To win in this league consistently, your QB has to be elite or borderline elite. That's one of those things that has proven true more often than not. The argument can obviously go both ways, PATS.

With all that said, I again ask you to go to my original response. It was all about how BB continues to handle turnover better than any other coach out there. He consistently fields a competitive team. I even took it a step further by mentioning also that he loses coordinators year after year, but the Patriots always remain in the thick of things. That's all coaching right there.

Their Always rebuilding, its a continual process with BB IMO

It's too bad that Wheatley and Darius Butler were complete BUSTS.

As 2nd rd picks at CB, they really set us back a couple years and made us waste more picks on CB's that we could've used at other positions.

Meriweather being a knucklehead certainly didnt help. Shawn Crable, Ron Brace, Jermaine Cunningham....etc....

We could've been fully rebuilt if they weren't all BUSTS.

Luckily we've been fortunate enough to find some decent UDFA

Last edited:
It's too bad that Wheatley and Darius Butler were complete BUSTS.

As 2nd rd picks at CB, they really set us back a couple years and made us waste more picks on CB's that we could've used at other positions.

Meriweather being a knucklehead certainly didnt help. Shawn Crable, Ron Brace, Jermaine Cunningham....etc....

We could've been fully rebuilt if they weren't all BUSTS.

Luckily we've been fortunate enough to find some decent UDFA

A ridiculous statement. How does a team that has made the playoffs 3 consecutive years with 2 #1 seeds and a pending Super Bowl appearance be set back?

There isn't a single NFL team built exclusively though the draft. Go back and look at the rosters over the past 15 years and educate yourself.

I don't get some of this commentary. It's like 10 year olds complaining on Christmas Morning. Sheesh.

Last edited:
...and they made it to the Super Bowl despite BBs ineptitude as a GM.

A down year for an already declining conference certainly didn't hurt matters any.

...and they made it to the Super Bowl despite BBs ineptitude as a GM.

Indeed. Guess which positions they'll be drafting in the upcoming draft? If you said CB and S you'd be correct...but they probably won't....but they should (with a different talent evaluation process).

Indeed. Guess which positions they'll be drafting in the upcoming draft? If you said CB and S you'd be correct...but they probably won't....but they should (with a different talent evaluation process).

I completely acknowledge that this team has needs in 2012. If DMc stays at FS, they'll need a CB to fill the spot if Ras-I or Moore aren't the guys. They may need 1-2 OLBs depending on Carter and Anderson's status and certainly the WR situation and Waters' FA status need to be addressed.

I guess my point is that in 2011, BB built a team, while short on talent areas is Super Bowl bound. Are they rebuilding? No. Do they have areas that need improvement? Of course but that does not qualify that as rebuilding IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back