PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Patriots still rebuilding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that 11-5 year was a bit flukey, though the defense was still pretty beast then.

Brady's detractors use it as "proof" that he's a system QB, but I would wager this year's team would be .500 at best without him; maybe a bit worse even...

I remember going into that season, I looked at the schedule and didn't see anyway that the Pats could go worst than 13-3. So that had a little to do with it. Still, 11-5 with a QB who had not started a game since High School, is one hell of a coaching, scouting job.

Unlike the Cassandra fans and of course the mediots have to produce copy every day, I like to try to step back and have some perspective. The Patriots started to rebuild in earnest, midway through the 2008 season. Prior to that, I think Belichick was patching, to try and eke out another year from his basic SB roster. Witness the trades for Welker, Moss and Adalius and the unseen of idea of using a First Round pick on a short term player like a RB.

But when Brady went down and the oldsters continued to slow, I think he decided he would have to strip the roster down, and start essentially afresh. The Defense was older, so he began there. He even got a nice retirement package for a favorite, Mike Vrable, extracting a promise from Pioli to pay him, and included him in the Cassel trade.

I think he had to choose between youngsters Wilfork and Mankins versus future HOF d-lineman Richard Seymour and let Seymour go, kind of implicitely acknowledging that Richard would not be Richard, or even in the League perhaps, when the Pats were next in the Super bowl competition.

Some have criticized Belichick for drafting players high and then apparently inexplicably giving up on them before they had an opportunity to mature. But Bill can tell the difference between talent, and talent with true grit, and will choose the lesser talented but with grit, every time.

Occasionally he spent on Offensive players, Vollmer, Tate, Price, Vareen Riddley but mostly drafted Defense, until he thought he had found the proper foundation. As you scan the defensive roster you find names like Deaderick, Love, Wright, Pryor, Ninkovitch, Fletcher, Guyton, Arrington, Sanders, Slater, Moore, Brown, that accompany the higher drafted people like McCourty, Chung, Cunningham, Spikes, Meriwether, Wheately, Butler.

Some were discarded even though they can play and are active in the league elsewhere, like Wheatley, Willhite, Butler, Sanders and Meriwether, for perhaps lesser talents but with poise and grit.

There have been fans and critics that were undermining Belichick with the same snide comments that ultimately destroyed both Paul Brown and Don Shula. "...the game has passed him by", or he has "lost it". Or he is "poor as a GM" and should step down, even though he ends up with in effect double drafts every year. He and his teams have made the playoffs for three seasons now; but never really had a Super bowl-winner, quality club. BB may even be a season premature, even now. But here he is. I expect this club will win a Lombardi, with an unexpected lopsided victory.

Belichick is at the height of his genius. Who else could "rebuild" while winning 11, 12, 13 or 14 games a season, fashioning the best or second best record in the league? Most would accept a few 5-11 seasons, but not Bill Belichick.

You haven't seen anything yet. NFL Beware. Wait 'till NEXT year.

Last edited:
Unlike the Cassandra fans and of course the mediots have to produce copy every day, I like to try to step back and have some perspective.

Cassandra had the ultimate perspective. The god Apollo gave her the ability to accurately predict the future but the catch was that nobody would believe her.

Kraft and BB have instituted a paradigm for this franchise which inhibits the production of a rebuilding year.

As a fan I have lowed my expectations through many seasons. We have lost core players, we have had changes to coaching on both sides of the ball. Play makers have been traded, injured, and have gotten to old to play. Yet, every year BB pulls out a winning season. Its very exciting to see the teams develop into that typical NE franchise every year.

Every thing listed above would give any other coach a justification for a sub par season, and people would accept a coach claiming that they have been attempting to rebuild the team. I don't think BB would ever utter the phrase, "its been a rebuilding year for us."

Cassandra had the ultimate perspective. The god Apollo gave her the ability to accurately predict the future but the catch was that nobody would believe her.

So ?? In the long range, we are all DEAD !! :rolleyes: Life is a terminal disease. :(:eek:

Agree with the OP completely. There's a difference between always trying to improve the tem, which never ends, and a rebuild, which involves replacing the key core players, such as Vrabel, Bruschi, Harrison etc.... Imo Belichik is nearing the end of the rebuild of their 1st dynasty team, and if they can pull off a win in the Super bowl this could well be the start of a second one. They still have pieces to add as the defense isn't done yet and they still need WR's to stretch the field wide and deep, but most of the work is done and they have the most important piece in Brady for another 4-5 years.

I hope that BB drafts some LEGIT defensive players. But he probably won't, just to stick it to us. Want a OLB? Naw, how about an injury prone CB and a couple more RBs.

I hope that BB drafts some LEGIT defensive players. But he probably won't, just to stick it to us. Want a OLB? Naw, how about an injury prone CB and a couple more RBs.

Me too, he sucks....................

I will be in the minority here, but I think the number 1 target for the Pats should be a deep threat receiver. Think about it. Our offense is dominant now, but the good defenses have been able to slow it down a bit. If you add add a legit deep threat there wont be a defense that will stop us. Tell me how will be able to deal with our Tight Ends and Welker. It cannot happen.

I agree we need to improve the defense, but if we make the offense All-world, and the defense won't need to be great.

Need I remind some here that Gronk was considered "injury prone". Ras I could be a fit for the next 10 years after this year, no one knows. None of his injuries have been the same- just bad luck.

People should stop whining and get some info before you post this stuff. He's really "sticking it to us", another Super Bowl trip. Jets fans would kill to have it stuck to them like BB has to us.:eek:

Frankly, it seems to me that the team is constantly rebuilding, it is always a work in progress. Teams get old fast in the NFL.

Always rebuilding - this team's got lots of room to improve, provided the locker room chemistry stays right.

I'd like to see the Pats end up with a 2009 - Green Bay type draft, where they added Raji and Matthews both in the 1st round! :eek:

As an aside, I also think it's pretty impressive that the Patriots have been able to build even though they're traditionally not picking until late in the 1st round. The Mayo draft pick aside - The Patriots simply havent had down years in which to scoot up to the 12th-19th type range to grab a Jason Pierre Paul type.

BB has turned over 20-25% of his players every year...Just a guess by me, but probably pretty darn close. That's 10-15 new faces every year on the roster.

Next year there are a few older players that may retire or won't make the final 53.

Will Mike Wright be cleared to play? IMHO he should retire and protect his future health.

Does Shaun Ellis retire ?

Is Gerard Warren here another year?

Will Kevin Faulk retire?

Ocho Cinco?

Will Branch make the roster another year or will BB go younger?

How many years are left in Koppen?

Does BB keep Light?

Does BB trade Hoyer? Is there any market for him?

Does Guyton make the roster ?

Is Polite a bandaid or a keeper?

There are also a couple of fringe DB's that could get let go...

Plenty of room for improvements....:rocker:

Last edited:
I see our needs in this order

A big play wide reciever

An outside line backer

A safety or a corner depending how Bill views McCourty

Bill always says your Football team is either getting better or its getting worse.. It never stays the same. Their Roster has had a lot of turn over and were still successful so you can imagine if he gets a few more pieces it will be game over. The league will jump in and punish us somehow to even the playing field.

Can the Pats afford to re-sign Welker...BJGE and also sign Brandon Lloyd ?

Draft a DB and OLB :rocker:

First goal before the continuing rebuild faze which to me is 90% of the secondary is to take a look at the Veteran assets to the team as in Branch and Welker and get them signed.......then consider keeping Koppen on the team but as of this point I see no reason to re-sign him as Connolly has been a stud at center and Wendell isn't bad either.

Next keep Sterling Moore as at least good depth as he shows much promise......I would keep McCourty at Safety as he looks VERY comfortable there and add 2 safeties from the draft and maybe a veteran corner and a draft pick at corner and a pass rusher and this team looks good to go.

Get rid of Ocho who sucks anymore,add a veteran WR and Kevin Faulk sadly needs to go A.S.A.P. as well.

I think the team retains Carter if he decides not to retire but I don't think they keep Anderson even though he has had a very nice campaign here.

This team if it keeps Welker is already stacked with talent on offense for the 2012 season before the offseason even begins.

I would think as long as Brady is behind center,this team is going to be pretty good for another 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:
2012 3-4 Defense

Starting DEs: Deaderick, ?????
Starting NT: Wilfork
Starting OLBs: Ninkovich, ?????
Starting ILBs: Mayo, Spikes
Starting CBs: Any of Mccourty, Arrington, Dowling, or Moore
Starting SS: Chung
Starting FS:?????-Mccourty-?????

Yeah, the defense is still rebuilding. Going into 2012 we really don't know who the starting CBs will be, a starting DE is needed, a starting OLB, and who the hell will play FS.

I also don't know where Carter or Anderson could fit in the 3-4.

Last edited:
with most teams (aka the Colts) it's a demo and rebuild with the Pats its a remodel of whats already there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back