PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Patriots still rebuilding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have looked at the past 2 years as rebuilding years for the Patriots. The fact that they went 14-2 last year and 13-3 and in the Super bowl is remarkable, IMO.

Think about the Patriots roster in 2007. The only defensive player that played on the 18-1 team is Big Vince. all other players are new to the team. Think about about the players that were on the D in the 2007 season, Rodney, Tedy, Seymour, Warren, Zant, Vrable, and several more that have either retired or are now with other teams,or just out of football.

Yet here they are in The Super Bowl with a 50-50 chance to win going in. This is why I have really enjoyed the past 2 years. Yes, I will be very disappointed if they lose in the SB, and elated if they win.

This next off season I expect the rebuilding on D to be finished with the signing of solid FA's on the D, don't have to be the big names, and getting one or 2 younger players in the draft. With TFB having 3 more years of playing at high level and all the good young players now on the roster on offense, we have noting but good times to look forward to for the foreseeable future.

Agree? Disagree?

Their Always rebuilding, its a continual process with BB IMO

Re: Are the Patriots still rebuiding?

Belichick is never stopping to retool this team. Look in 2003 and 2004. Belichick added Corey Dillon in 2004 after he felt his team wasn't balanced enough in 2003 even though the Pats went 14-2 and won the Super Bowl.

Some years he doesn't put as much effort to fix things as other because of cap considerations or other factors, but this team is in a constant state of retooling and rebuilding. That is why they are going to their fifth Super Bowl in the 12 years of the Belichick era. Other teams stand pat when they have a good team, but Belichick is constantly trying to improve this team (sometimes he fails though).

BB will look at this team every week and ask what he can do to make it better. There is no complacency and the players, regardless of round selected or UDFA, with the best chance of allowing the team to win will be starting.

Veterans can't coast and those special teams players know they can be a starter if they continue to contribute and hone their skills. Who wouldn't want to play for BB if it means you get a chance to play. Only thise guys who thinks their skills and name are bigger than the team (and yes Albert , we're talking about you and a host of other players)

Put me in the "always" camp.

BB wasn't a college coach, but his father was. He's not afraid of coaching new guys.

There is a big difference between making a few annual roster changes and rebuilding.

I think that with all the losses of players since 2008-2009 to the core players, any team would be a rebuilding team, including the Patriots, even with the records they have been able to achieve.

As others have said, we always are, but I have always looked at the next couple of seasons where we should really get good. This season has been almost an accident for me - a little like 2001 ahead of 2003, 2004. We have the TEs, Welker, young OL, young RB and Brady should be good for about 5 more. Things didn't really click personnel wise defensively in the secondary but Bill has the picks and the salary cap to fix that. Defensively I still think it's basically a tryout camp and Bill will re-visit the personnel in the offseason and move out the ones we won in spite of - which will be quite a few.

I think we're close to being REALLY good again and I expect an interesting offseason, I could see another Colvin type signing if someone is willing to take a little less for some hate and T-Shirts. Of course Mario Williams would be the perfect guy but 31 other teams probably feel the same way.

Anyway, yes, I think this was more of a rebuilding year than average and 2012-2014 are the target years for greatness; offense shouldn't be an issue, we just need the younger defenders to gradually improve with experience and hit a few times on defense in the draft and FA (1 CB, 1 S at an absolute minimum).

Last edited:
There is a big difference between making a few annual roster changes and rebuilding.

I think that with all the losses of players since 2008-2009 to the core players, any team would be a rebuilding team, including the Patriots, even with the records they have been able to achieve.

The Pats went to the AFC Championship in 2006 and then added Moss, Welker, Thomas, Stallworth, etc. the following year. There are plenty cases of where the Pats were great and still retooled. He is always doing it.

This upcoming offseason is going to be different. The lockout didn't allow Belichick to make many of the changes he wanted to do. This offseason, about 25% of the players in the league are going to be free agents. Belichick will likely make more moves than usual because the last few years the free agent market has been devoid of good young players and this offseason will be flushed with them.

The Patriots defensive backfield and OLB position is still a disaster, they have made it to the superbowl because of an excellent offense headed by a HOF QB and great coaching. Do not be fooled, the Patriots defense is not that good and the Patriots offense still is in need of a physical WR that can get down the field.

If you remove Brady and BB and replace them with mediocrity or even "good" the Patriots are probably a little better than the 2011 Colts.

In today's NFL every team turns over greater than 50% of their roster every 4 years. Pats only have 7 active players from the 2007 team and the Giants 15 as examples. That said I do believe the Pats are at a cross road of sorts with the defense where they can go from average to top ten if they can add a few pieces and a few other pieces take that next step.

Can you imagine the Patriots offense coupled with the Ravens defense? Other teams would look fondly on the 2007 season when they only ran up the score a little.

While BB is constantly retooling I do see these last 2-3 years as a bit of a rebuild.

Rookie
Solder
Ridley

2nd year
Gronk
Hernandez
McCourty
Spikes
Deaderick
Love

3rd year
Chung
Vollmer
Edelman
Arrington

4th year
Mayo
Slater
BJGE (only 2 years as lead back)

That's 15 important contributors to the team. Players are normally in their peak around years 7-8. Give this group some time, add a few more quality players and look out. If you thought teams were sick of us before . . . :D

I think you have to look at the fact that the Pats have retooled annually by position. In 2007 they revamped the WR core. BB has been trying for four years (unsucessfully) to draft a defensive backfield. 2010 was obviously the year to retool/reinvent the TE position. But you look at this team, it is in the Superbowl, and has some very young players.

QB: TFB, I feel good about having Mallett, he has the talent to be a very good QB in this league.
RB: BJGE is solid, Very young with Ridley and Vareen (if he ever stops channelling Crable)
TE: all set, maybe add another just to mess with people
OL: added three first round talents in Vollmer, Solder, and Cannon, Mankins still has tread left on his tires, they need to add a Center in the upcoming draft.
WR: WWW needs to be re-signed. This poistion needs to be addressed in the draft/FA. Oddley enough, WR is the position that they Pats are the oldest at.

As for the Defense, they are even younger:

DL: Vince is a beast, Deaderick, Love, Pyror, are all serviable young players. Still they need a stud DE.
LB: Nice core, Mayo, Spikes, Ninkovich, still could use another.
DB: it seems they are better off signing UDFAs thatn drafting guys. McCourtey should be OK, Chung has spurts, but they absolutely need a thumper at FS, Moore is one of their best DBS right now.

You also have to give BB credit for drafting the kickers, the Pats have one of the best kicking duos in the league.

So I think the rebuilding is almost complete, Still their are holes, but what team doesn't have holes? What BB has done is to make sure that his team doesn't get old at the same time. There is plenty of youth on this team.

Imagine how good they would be, if they hit on more than 50% of their draft picks?

The Patriots defensive backfield and OLB position is still a disaster, they have made it to the superbowl because of an excellent offense headed by a HOF QB and great coaching. Do not be fooled, the Patriots defense is not that good and the Patriots offense still is in need of a physical WR that can get down the field.

If you remove Brady and BB and replace them with mediocrity or even "good" the Patriots are probably a little better than the 2011 Colts.

Is their OLB position really a disaster? Ninkovich has been pretty good this post season and Mayo is solid. The front seven as constituted is pretty good right now. I do think they need to improve in the secondary, but a rebound by McCourty (or a permanent change to safety) and return of Dowling might fix a lot or most of those problems.

Last edited:
I think you are obviously are always retooling the roster to some extent. I think the biggest "rebuilding" that has been going on has been in the area of mental toughness.

In 2009, we did not have a very mentally tough team. I think a lot of times int he last few years, when BB would jettison a young talented player that was a reasonably high pick fairly quick, he was roundly criticized for "another draft bust" or dumping someone without giving them the proper time to develop. It seems clear that he had just made up his mind that those players, potential talent as they may by, just did not have the mental toughness to win these tough games. So rather then wasting time developing a a guy that you don't think will be as tough as you need him to be, he dumped them.

This year, I think we all recognize that the team he's built is much tougher then it has been in MANY year (even 2007's team, which wasn't nearly as tough as talented). Probably the toughest since the 2003-2004 range.

If there is any rebuilding beyond the "typical" roster adjustments, it's been mental rebuilding.

Last edited:
Bill is quite fond of the old adage if you aren't getting better you're getting worse. So he retools annually. But he did undertake a rebuild of sorts on both sides of the ball necessitated by the loss of core players. The offense in 2007 - and despite immediate statistical success that rebuild continued into 2011. And on defense in 2008 after he anticipated losing or lost or determined it was time to move on from the core leaders on that side of the ball. That remains a work in progress, although we finally do appear to be making progress towards the light at the end of the tunnel.

That said, I agree with the op's contention that the future is bright - although I forsee more like 4-5 more elite TFB years (and a couple of potential still better than anyone who might replace him years - which could be quite enjoyable still pending the makeup of the remainder of those teams).

BB is always looking for better combinations of players, but it all revolves around Brady. They've managed to find success with him with essentially 3-4 completely different lineups over the past decade.

I have contended that you could take the entire roster of a team like the Bills and change it with the current Pats, save Brady, and the team would probably play as at high a level as it is right now (and the Bills would still be just as bad).

So its all Bill and Brady?

Team went 11-5 under Cassel? It think its scheme, culture, ownership, coaching....everything. Its not as if Brady is throwing to Caldwell and Gaffney not. He is throwing to awesome TEs and one of the best slot receivers in the NFL.

The D only has Vince back but it was awful for 90% of the season as well. Its a huge work in process but I think its much better with Chung and Spikes back and will be even better next year if the big corner Dowling can stay healthy. I like the additions of Anderson and Carter too and Ninko has really stepped up huge!!!

So its all Bill and Brady?

Team went 11-5 under Cassel? It think its scheme, culture, ownership, coaching....everything. Its not as if Brady is throwing to Caldwell and Gaffney not. He is throwing to awesome TEs and one of the best slot receivers in the NFL.

The D only has Vince back but it was awful for 90% of the season as well. Its a huge work in process but I think its much better with Chung and Spikes back and will be even better next year if the big corner Dowling can stay healthy. I like the additions of Anderson and Carter too and Ninko has really stepped up huge!!!

I think that 11-5 year was a bit flukey, though the defense was still pretty beast then.

Brady's detractors use it as "proof" that he's a system QB, but I would wager this year's team would be .500 at best without him; maybe a bit worse even...

Of course we're rebuilding. great teams change yearly, but depend on a core. we're rebuilding the entire defense, minus Wilfork, and that includes dumping guys that are lackadaisical.

No team is ever "perfect" and all star teams usually fail, so we're looking for that combination that can last a bit, like we had earlier.

Most teams lose that core and fall apart for a while. We pretty much skipped that step. We managed to win with an over the hill team and a fairly green team, but are really a couple in the secondary, a WR and the maturing of our RB group away from being awesome.

That being said, awesome usually doesn't come, there are always problems, and we're in the damn Super Bowl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back