PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Patriots rebuilding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait to see how this D performs after the bye week.....

I think it's a house cleaning / capology management / insurance waiting for a new agreement.

I also think it's good old fashioned Bill being Bill ... I like it.

Are the Paytriots rebuilding?

yes, and anyone that says otherwise is nuts. Take a look at the roster on the defenseive side and tell me with a straight face they aren't rebuidling. Yes, they are. This is year two of the rebuilding phase.

With all of the defensive starters from the dynasty era that were let go over the last year or so, I'd say that, yes, we are rebuilding. The only starter on this defense left over from the 2007 season is Wilfork (Meriweather doesn't count). If that doesn't speak volumes for the level of rebuilding that has taken place, then I don't know what does.

And, no, I wouldn't call this a "retool" or a "reload". Those are when you already have the pieces in place and make veteran moves at the one or two areas that have question marks.

Re: Are The Patriots rebuilding?

It looks to me more like they are cleaning house, getting rid of the no upside players, special team players, and replacing them with younger high upside players, or clearing space to bring in some players they like from other teams.

+1. I was pleased that they cut loose JAGs like Woods, Aiken, Alexander, Burgess.

They most definitely are turning a page and tossing some B-level guys that they depended on in previous seasons to step up at crucial times with unsatisfactory results.

The Pats are pretty obviously on the tail end of a defensive re-building. The last thing to do is fill out the D-line, RDE especially assuming Brace can be at least an effective LDE, and then get a top-flight OLB if Cunningham isn't that guy. On offense they just filled in some pieces, but the re-building will continue apace on the O-line, if only because of age, then RB, then filling out the WR position.

"Rebuilding" is when you let guys go who would be better in the short term, especially when it's beyond what the cap dictates or what would be "normal." In particular, it's when you don't pay guys what everybody knows they're worth, because you're just heading in a different direction.

Well, the Eagles are shopping Asante, the Broncos have cut Jarvis, and Richard Seymour is a special case (the Raiders had the franchise tag available, the Patriots needed to do other things with it). So that leaves your evidence as pretty much Vrabel, Hobbs, and ... ???

Nothing to see here. Move along!

Breer reports that 37 percent of current roster is 2009 or 2010 draft picks or undrafted free agents. Nearly unheard of youth.

I count 15 players who were not on the roster at any time last year, that's nearly 30% of the roster. I don't recall the exact number but in the past it's usually been a turnover of about 11 players

offense (4) Crumpler, Hernandez, Gronkowski, Taylor Price

defense (10 ) Jarrad Page, McCourty, Dane Fletcher, Tracy White, Spikes, Jermaine Cunningham, Marques Murrell, Gerard Warren, Brandon Deaderick, Kyle Love
ST(1) Mesko

I'd say the O is rebuilt is the D is rebuilding. I hope it doesn't go as poorly as I fear this year.

I just wish that they had started rebuilding the D a little sooner. :p

I'm not sure how and when they should have done this. 2007, when they had a D that helped them go 17-0? 2008, when they hoped to continue the success of '07 and almost recovered from Brady's injury enough to make the playoffs? Fencer writes in this thread "Rebuilding is when you let guys go who would be better in the short term ..." They kept players who gave them a more than legitimate shot at a championship. Their roster decisions seem to have made sense, considering the results and bad draft classes those years.

The rebuilding started a bit with Mayo in '08 and intensified greatly with the '09 draft losses of Vrabel, Seymour, Harrison and Bruschi last year. This year is phase 2.5 (counting Mayo as .5): Draft some potential cornerstones, ditch some JAGs. Injuries (Warren, Bodden, McGowan) have accelerated things.

And through it all the Pats won their division last year and just might do it again this year.

The only starter on this defense left over from the 2007 season is Wilfork (Meriweather doesn't count).

I didn't realize that. Quite amazing. Not quite finished yet, though. I think it will take another draft, at least.

Last year at this time, I would never have dreamed that the Patriots' 2011 #1 might be higher than Oakland's. Now, I'm not so sure.

The year after the Colts won their SB 36% of their roster had never set foot on an NFL field. The following season they went back to the SB. Roughly 20% annual turnover is the norm for most NFL rosters. Over a two year span... In the past much of our turnover was at the back end of the roster. As the defense aged out that is changing. That's the only reason it gets noticed. I think it's a hoot it's causing such consternation given it's coming largely from the same folks who were calling for more youth and speed for the last couple of seasons... I think that is why Bill gets a hoot from such crack analysis, too. Like he says you can do anything you want provided you're willing to assume the tradeoffs. He held those off for as long as he could and he is now assuming them. Damn him.

Need to qualify.

2000 was a rebuild
2003 was a reload
2006 was a reheat
2009 was a reheat
2010-I'll say reload as I think 12-4, 11-5 is very attainable.

wow...love the optimism but I do not see that happening with this defense. I hope I'm wrong but I'd be surprised if they are 9-7. They couldn't stop good QB's last year and I don't see that changing this season.

However, I do see 12-4 11-5 the following year

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes