PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Giants Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, looking at both teams your team is probably the luckiest to get into this game. You guys said it yourself that you are surprised to be in the SB. To say the Pats have been fortunate is an understatement. You guys get Tim Tebow at home in your 1st round, and perennial chokers in the Ravens in the 2nd round. You may say that we are not the best team from the NFC to show up in the SB, but I am certain you guys are not the best AFC team. The Steelers were the most complete team in that conference, but they had too many injuries and were way too overconfident versing the Broncos. Point being that is why football is great. "Any given Sunday." Maybe the Packers would have beaten us on any other day, or the 49ers for the matter as well, but it doesn't matter. Maybe you guys get the Steelers in the divisional round which would have been a greater challenge for you, or what if Lee Evans doesn't drop a TD pass or if Billy Cundiff doesn't have one of the worse playoff chokes off all time? Look, to put it frankly the reason why everybody is picking the Giants is because they are a better team( no I'm not just being a blind fan.) Looking at the match ups, we've always had the formula to beat Brady which is why we own him. Sure that can change, but I just don't see it. The Giants will take care of Hernandaz, Gronkowski will be a non-factor, and you guys are thin at receiver behind Welker. Add in our pass rush, and trust me your offense will have your hands full. And by the way your defense still sucks, and it will be exposed in the SB. Its just that you guys had the benefit of the doubt of facing less than stellar QB play in the AFC and really subpar competition. You guys are a classic example of taking advantage of lesser competition. Tell me one signature win( that you completely deserved to win) against a quality opponent this season. You say AFC championship, wrong Balt choked, you say divisional round, you got Tim Tebow. How about the regular season the best teams and qbs you faced were us and the Steelers which both were losses for you. I am just confused how you guys say were overrated and fortunate, when your the ones that really are. People realize this, realize you have one of the worse defenses in the NFL, realize you are now going to be limited offensively because of losing Gronkowski, and realize the last time you won something was multiple years ago in the middle of a cheating scandal. So don't be upset, I'm sure Super Bowl 42's loss will still be a lot worse than if you guys lost this one( I'd enjoy both SB wins equally as much.) Oh, and btw, two amazing SB runs would make Eli ELIte and probably a HOF QB.

First of all, the Steelers were NOT the best team in the AFC this yr, despite your opinion. Their 21st ranked offense couldn't get the job done, and the past 5-6 games they failed to score at all. Seriously, go look at the scores of those games and tell me they were clicking on all cylinders.

Saying that the Ravens are "perennial chokers" is laughable, if anything THEY may have been the overall best team in the AFC, if you don't think it was the Pats.

By keeping with that thought, don't you think it's a bit coincidental that just about every single NFL media outlet and news channel had N.England as a top 3 to top 5 team all year long?

Apparently, you think we somehow came out of nowhere with a 13-3 record and the #1 seed (after going 14-2 with another #1 seed last year too!!) and snuck up on the entire NFL? Lol...How about the winningest home team with their starting QB in the last 5 years? Does that surprise people?

All of this talk coming from a fanbase whose team was 7-7 at one point?

And WE'RE the "lucky" team??? Not you? That's absolutely hilarious.

I would say that the last 6 AFFCG appearences from the 2001-2011 seasons would speak volumes about the consistency here. They've been building a winner for a long time around here, and no one is remotely surprised that they are back in the Super Bowl.

They will have a tough test vs a good NYG team that has gotten hot lately and earned their way to the big game, and maybe they will not win this yr, but saying that the winningest team in the entire NFL over the past decade is "lucky" is just plain laughable...

LOL, the Giants have always owned Brady?

T. Brady, 32/42, 356, 8.5 yards per completion, 2 Tds

I'm convinced that the Patriots came into the Super Bowl so overconfident largely because Brady threw all over the Giants in week 17.

If they played that game 20 times, the Patriots win it 19 times.

Just stop right there....... you're embarrassing yourself. Your not being honest..... you are being a homer fan.

Fine, you think your team will win...... We get it. Beyond that, your reasoning sucks. Face it, you are brining a flawed 9-7 team that got lucky in the playoffs beating a great team that did not show up and an inexperience San Fran. You're meet a New England team that certainly has had issues and it's own flaws this year, but has gotten better over the last 10 winning streak and playing way better then when we last meet. We just beat a Ravens team that is clearly more talented and better then Giants (in just about every statistical measure).

We'll see you Sunday.

Right, because it is impossible for a flawed wildcard 9-7 10-6 team to win the SB. Just ask the "flawed" Packers last year who had like half their team on IR how they did in the playoffs. Look, I am a fan but I am trying to state this objectively. You guys by far and away got way more lucky than us in the playoffs. Talk about inexperience you got Tim freakin Tebow, and a kicker who had one of the worst field goal shanks in playoff history. We deserved to win both games in 49ers and Packers more than you deserved both your wins. When we played those two teams in the regular season, the game could have went either way but went in their favor, however in the post season it went in ours. We were not lucky, but just peaking at the right team with a talented roster that was somewhat injury depleted and underachieving in the regular season. And your 10 game winning streak is far from impressive, and screams of opponent mediocrity and luck. Name me one game that you were outright better than a quality opponent this year? Thats what I thought. If our team is "flawed" I don't know what yours is then. You might be one of the most flawed 13-3 Super Bowl teams I've even seen, I am pretty confident that even in todays passing league that we will never see a team make the Super Bowl again with a defense as bad as yours.

Right, because it is impossible for a flawed wildcard 9-7 10-6 team to win the SB. Just ask the "flawed" Packers last year who had like half their team on IR how they did in the playoffs. Look, I am a fan but I am trying to state this objectively. You guys by far and away got way more lucky than us in the playoffs. Talk about inexperience you got Tim freakin Tebow, and a kicker who had one of the worst field goal shanks in playoff history. We deserved to win both games in 49ers and Packers more than you deserved both your wins. When we played those two teams in the regular season, the game could have went either way but went in their favor, however in the post season it went in ours. We were not lucky, but just peaking at the right team with a talented roster that was somewhat injury depleted and underachieving in the regular season. And your 10 game winning streak is far from impressive, and screams of opponent mediocrity and luck. Name me one game that you were outright better than a quality opponent this year? Thats what I thought. If our team is "flawed" I don't know what yours is then. You might be one of the most flawed 13-3 Super Bowl teams I've even seen, I am pretty confident that even in todays passing league that we will never see a team make the Super Bowl again with a defense as bad as yours.

You keep harping on this defense, you must be using yards as a measuring stick when, if you have been watching football for a while you know that points are what matters, not yards. Now check how many points our D gives up and how many points your D gives up, Ill help you out, we gave up a total of 342 points for a 21.4 avg, you gave up 400 for a 25 avg, who's D looks worse now?

First of all, the Steelers were NOT the best team in the AFC this yr, despite your opinion. Their 21st ranked offense couldn't get the job done, and the past 5-6 games they failed to score at all. Seriously, go look at the scores of those games and tell me they were clicking on all cylinders.

Saying that the Ravens are "perennial chokers" is laughable, if anything THEY may have been the overall best team in the AFC, if you don't think it was the Pats.

By keeping with that thought, don't you think it's a bit coincidental that just about every single NFL media outlet and news channel had N.England as a top 3 to top 5 team all year long?

Apparently, you think we somehow came out of nowhere with a 13-3 record and the #1 seed (after going 14-2 with another #1 seed last year too!!) and snuck up on the entire NFL? Lol...How about the winningest home team with their starting QB in the last 5 years? Does that surprise people?

All of this talk coming from a fanbase whose team was 7-7 at one point?

And WE'RE the "lucky" team??? Not you? That's absolutely hilarious.

I would say that the last 6 AFFCG appearences from the 2001-2011 seasons would speak volumes about the consistency here. They've been building a winner for a long time around here, and no one is remotely surprised that they are back in the Super Bowl.

They will have a tough test vs a good NYG team that has gotten hot lately and earned their way to the big game, and maybe they will not win this yr, but saying that the winningest team in the entire NFL over the past decade is "lucky" is just plain laughable...

You guys suck at providing facts for a debate. I was just talking about this season for your team not the past 10 years lol,I don't see how I indicated that in any way, shape, or form. Like I said Giants underachieved in the regular season, but we have a knack for getting hot when it matters most. In fact with the way wild card teams can make playoff runs now, you can't look at teams regular season records but how they are playing in the playoffs. You guys know that best, were did that 14-2 record get you last year? Were did the Packers 15-1 record get them this year? Your points on the Ravens and Steelers are also off base. I said the Steelers were the most complete team in the AFC, but I did not say they didn't have any flaws. You know Roethlisberger could get the job done, but injuries derailed them. As for the Ravens they do choke. Last year in Pitt up 21-7 divisional round, then choked that away,this year kicker choked it away. They also almost lost to a rookie qb in the playoffs.

drunken keyboarding will be a criminal offense by the start of next season, if THIS space alien's posts are any indication.

Newsflash Mike Lupica....there's an h in "where"...

You guys know that best, were did that 14-2 record get you last year? Were did the Packers 15-1 record get them this year?

Last edited:
You keep harping on this defense, you must be using yards as a measuring stick when, if you have been watching football for a while you know that points are what matters, not yards. Now check how many points our D gives up and how many points your D gives up, Ill help you out, we gave up a total of 342 points for a 21.4 avg, you gave up 400 for a 25 avg, who's D looks worse now?

Lol anybody with half a brain knows that the Giants defense is far and away better than the Patriots with a lot more talent. Don't even argue that, its just that the level of qb play in the NFC is significantly better than that of the AFC.

Throwing out any stats that back up my statement.. my eyeballs tell me that Eli is decent. He does not seem like a special player to me, he seems like an above average QB that has had some incredibly fluky plays to win some big games. Watching Eli in general nothing really stands out all that much to me, except the fact that he seems to play well at the ends of games which is a huge + for him. Something that his brother did not inherit.

I am an objective fan, and I honestly have no clue whats going to happen in the SB. Throwing out regular season records I just feel like both these teams are pretty evenly matched but I might give a slight over all edge to the Patriots mainly because of Brady, Wilfork and Gronk. If Wilfork is as effective against the Giants as he was against the Ravens thats huge for the Patriots. I honestly do not think the Giants can run the ball against our D line. I do think the Pats can run the ball more effectively against the Giants.

34-27 Patriots

drunken keyboarding will be a criminal offense by the start of next season, if THIS space alien's posts are any indication.

Wow I thought Pats fan and their organization were supposed to be one of the classiest people in the NFL, but I am really not seeing it. Dam I messed up(forgot about Spygate.) If you guys want to start a debate just let me know.

Wow I thought Pats fan and their organization were supposed to be one of the classiest people in the NFL, but I am really not seeing it. Dam I messed up(forgot about Spygate.) If you guys want to start a debate just let me know.

well...look here Buford...YOU get a grasp on the correct spelling of "cat" and then drag your "half a brain" back here for more discussion of what the half brained population in the U.S. "knows"....

Throwing out any stats that back up my statement.. my eyeballs tell me that Eli is decent. He does not seem like a special player to me, he seems like an above average QB that has had some incredibly fluky plays to win some big games. Watching Eli in general nothing really stands out all that much to me, except the fact that he seems to play well at the ends of games which is a huge + for him. Something that his brother did not inherit.

I am an objective fan, and I honestly have no clue whats going to happen in the SB. Throwing out regular season records I just feel like both these teams are pretty evenly matched but I might give a slight over all edge to the Patriots mainly because of Brady, Wilfork and Gronk. If Wilfork is as effective against the Giants as he was against the Ravens thats huge for the Patriots. I honestly do not think the Giants can run the ball against our D line. I do think the Pats can run the ball more effectively against the Giants.
34-27 Patriots

Wilfork could present a challenge, but I see our once highly regarded o-line being up to that challenge. Also Gronkowski probably won't be effective on that high ankle sprain, and Brady could be in trouble verse our pass rush. Also our front 7 is easily talented enough to stop your run game.

What kind of debate do you want to start? There are more than enough people here to go back and forth with all week long.

They are 2 tough teams, with some great strengths yet some weaknesses too.

One team had a much better record, and much better stats, but there's an argument that their competition wasn't "good" enough for you. The other team didn't do as well statistically or even winning games all yr, but they got hot at the right time, and earned their way to the big game.

It will be about turning/not turning the ball over. It will be about protecting/not protecting the QB. It will be about getting/causing penalties. It will be about executing, preparing, practicing, and gameplanning.

You have a good team. We have a good team.

The last 3 meetings were by scores of 3, 3, and 4 points..and all were decided in the 4th quarter.

well...look here Buford...YOU get a grasp on the correct spelling of "cat" and then drag your "half a brain" back here for more discussion of what the half brained population in the U.S. "knows"....

Ironic because your really the one that is making yourself look stupid with your immature responses. Instead of intellectually debating my points, you resort to name calling? Or maybe there is nothing to debate, because I am right on my points.

Last edited:
Wilfork could present a challenge, but I see our once highly regarded o-line being up to that challenge. Also Gronkowski probably won't be effective on that high ankle sprain, and Brady could be in trouble verse our pass rush. Also our front 7 is easily talented enough to stop your run game.

well...that's it then...looks like a guaranteed easy win for the G-Men...this is great news for YOU especially...you should bet everything you own on the Giants and then, when you win, you can check into Bellevue and have that other half of your brain you're missing,reattached....you could become the next Marty Feldman..."werewolf"??????

thereWolf.jpg

i don't think giant fan wants to talk about class unless you want to talk about LT the crackhead pedophile.

What kind of debate do you want to start? There are more than enough people here to go back and forth with all week long.

They are 2 tough teams, with some great strengths yet some weaknesses too.

One team had a much better record, and much better stats, but there's an argument that their competition wasn't "good" enough for you. The other team didn't do as well statistically or even winning games all yr, but they got hot at the right time, and earned their way to the big game.

It will be about turning/not turning the ball over. It will be about protecting/not protecting the QB. It will be about getting/causing penalties. It will be about executing, preparing, practicing, and gameplanning.

You have a good team. We have a good team.

The last 3 meetings were by scores of 3, 3, and 4 points..and all were decided in the 4th quarter.

Looks like your tone has changed. I was trying to start conversation pertaining to the topic with my first post, but subsequently have been mistreated. Main debate topic I was trying to get across was that the Pats are luckier to be in the SB then the Giants.

It's comments like this that show a serious difference in opinions, and that's probably to be expected.

Therefore, it doesn't seem like it'd be very effective to go back and forth all night trying to tell you why these facts are probably not right..at all.

Let me get this straight:

In your opinion....

---we have not earned the right to play the SB due to (what you perceive) as a "lack in opposing talent." Last year they went 7-1 vs top 10 defenses, and it got them nowhere. This year they beat some tough teams at the time, although those teams didn't show up down the stretch of the yr. They still played 8 of the top 10 defensive sacking teams, and they went 7-1 in those games. In those 8 games against the top 10 pass rushing defenses (sacks by), they gave up a total of 13 sacks in 8 games.

Believe me, everyone gives it their 'all' when they play the NEP. There were tough games vs the Steelers, Giants, Cowboys, Ravens, Jets (2x), even a hot Bills team at the time, a very strong finish for the Dolphins down the stretch as one of the NFL's hottest teams, a decent Chargers team that had a poor mid-season effort, but always plays a lot of teams strong, and some decent teams that were one-sided on the defensive area such as KC, WASH, etc...there was also the 2 biggest 'hype' games of the year in the Broncos (2x) who were scrappy and tough-outs for a lot of teams.

To me, that argument doesn't hold much water, especially since there have been other teams who have (by your assessment) "gotten lucky" per their schedule and won the SB without 1/2 the noise from anyone.

It's the Patriots, the media will always come up with an angle. If that's what you believe then more power to you.

---"Brady's in trouble vs your pass rush"---the vaunted pass rush once again. Since I already listed the 7-1 record and 13 sacks allowed by the top 10 sacking teams, I will let this one go. One last point is that our defense has just as many sacks, if not more, over the course of the playoffs.

---we can't run against your small front---even though we just did it against the top 1 or 2 defensive rushing team in the NFL, we somehow won't be able to do the job vs your small front of 4 DE's. Okay, what else can you say to this? Again, it's your uninformed opinion.

---"Gronkowski PROBABLY won't be effective"----maybe you didn't see him practically sprinting to the plane today? Maybe you haven't heard about the miraculous recovery rumors? Even IF he's not 100%, I'll take an 80% Gronk any day. There's no basis to your opinon anyway, it's your speculation about him "probably" not being effective.

---and last but not least....YOU see your O-line being "up to the challenge." (Go figure)

Does that cover everything?

Last edited:

I didn't say it was impossible for you to win. You have every bit that same opportunity we have.

Let's not toot the Giants to hard here. You beat a very mediocre Atlanta team that feasted on Tampa Bay, Indy, Seattle, Jax, Tenn and a few other pitiful teams on it's way to 10-6. You then beat a very good GB team that clearly played its WORST game by far of not only this season, but probably last season..... I bet 1/2 to 3/4 of the teams out there would have beaten them that day. Good on you for taking advantage of them that day, but lets face it....you were fortunate (as any team would have been) to face them on a day they were off.

As for the San Fran game......... Are you really going to sit here and say you outplayed them? You caught some very big breaks in that game as well. Eli had 2 sure picks dropped and you basically won on a muffed punt fumble. Hey, you took advantage of the SF miscues, but come on..... two muffed punts by the same guy in a game...... Those are unforced errors that HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH you guys.

As for our win...... You say that was luck..... First off, the shanked kick was not for the win. It was to force overtime. No saying we would not have won anyway. On the 2 plays that would have sealed the win (the Evans catch and the next play), they were broken up by heads up defensive plays that had everything to do with how we played. Not sure how luck factors into that.

As for quality opponents down the stretch. Well, we did rout Philly and Washington..... Both of which beat you in the regular season (quite badly in the case of Washington). Those teams were responsible for 3 of your 7 losses.

Come to think of it....... Outside of the NE game, anytime you faced a quality opponent....... you lost. Your mediocre record basically came against many of the same teams that were on our schedule (outside of NO, SF, GB, AZ, Sea, and Arizona). Against common opponents you are 6-3 and we are 8-1....

I'd hardly call us lucky.

Last edited:
well...that's it then...looks like a guaranteed easy win for the G-Men...this is great news for YOU especially...you should bet everything you own on the Giants and then, when you win, you can check into Bellevue and have that other half of your brain you're missing,reattached....you could become the next Marty Feldman..."werewolf"??????

thereWolf.jpg

Wow you're so clever, and so much smarter than everyone else right? Oh no I forgot the h in where, I am so stupid! Or perhaps, reality suggests that you have to feel superior in an online forum because you are inferior and lead a depressing life. Can't wait for this next witty response, that everyone here thinks is so funny. BTW I never guaranteed the Giants are going to win the SB, I just like our chances.

i don't think giant fan wants to talk about class unless you want to talk about LT the crackhead pedophile.

It is unfortunate what has happened with LT, but he's not a part of the Giants organization anymore and leads his own life. I don't see how one individual's actions reflects poorly on an organization that he is not a part of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes