PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Giants Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see how the Giants are overrated. Patriots are favored by 3 pts, most people picking the Patriots.

Don't see how the Giants are overrated. Patriots are favored by 3 pts, most people picking the Patriots.

Who is picking the Pats? NFLN even has a ridiculous video with graphics showing NE being statistically superior by quite a large margin followed by all 3 of the analysts involved choosing the Giants.

The only pro-NE thing I have heard this week was "If you had to choose one QB for the final drive, Tom or Eli" with Tom winning. Everything else I've heard from the media has picked a SB42 repeat.

They have had some major breaks go their way, but at the end of the day most teams that find themselves in the big game typically have had one or two major breaks that got them there. They have played well so you can't take that away. I think most people outside of new york and new england think both teams are overrated and other teams should be in the bowl.

Kind of hard to overrate a team that ended the Pats 20-game home win streak on a last minute drive, beat the defending SB Champs at home to knock them out of the playoffs, beat the best defense in the league at home to knock them out of the playoffs, and have 4 contributing players back from injury that weren't there for the first game they played the Pats. Stats shmats and records don't mean sh!t at this point. The NYG are in the SB for a good reason, they get it done when they need to and will show up on Sunday. I'm counting on Brady to do the same.

Last edited:
Admittedly I only went through half the thread but I'm pretty surprised no one mentioned LB Michael Boley

Besides Tuck being banged up and ineffective, Osi missing a good part of the year---Boley is by FAR the key reason why the Giants defense is playing like night and day compared to the reg season. He calls all the plays and the defense has had there good share of problems playing out of position.

A healthy Boley and the addition of Blackburn have made a world of a difference. The Giants D hasn't given up many big plays since then.

On the offensive side, Nicks and Manningham (Manningham being key IMO) are finally healthy, Cruz has done nothing but improve every week, the O-line has improved, and Eli has raised his game to another level.

Everything I've read says Blackburn was on the scrap heap and is relative liability.

???

Do they broadcast a different version of espn, nfl network, nbc sports, boston radio, new york radio, boston newspaper websites and new york newspaper websites where you live than where I live? Because the vast majority of what passes for "analysis" that I am seeing, hearing and reading can be summed up with some combination of these sound bites:
  • Patriots cannot stop Eli and the Giants passing game
  • Patriots have no answer for the Giants pass rush
  • Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs will run all over the Pats
  • Pats have no running game
  • 31st ranked defense
  • Giants have improved since week 9
  • Repeat of 2007

Who exactly are all these people that you are referring to that are picking the Patriots? Your weed dealer and his posse?

Who exactly are all these people that you are referring to that are picking the Patriots? Your weed dealer and his posse?

Completely agree, for all the reasons you pointed out. The point spread is what it is. But everyone I know (outside of this forum), to a person, is picking the Giants. The basic assumption is that they are a "matchup nightmare" for New England and that the Giants are now at least as good a team as their 2007-08 super bowl champ team whereas the Patriots have weaknesses all over and are nowhere near as good as the 2007-08 team that lost to the Giants in that SB.

Kind of hard to overrate a team that ended the Pats 20-game home win streak on a last minute drive, beat the defending SB Champs at home to knock them out of the playoffs, beat the best defense in the league at home to knock them out of the playoffs, and have 4 contributing players back from injury that weren't there for the first game they played the Pats. Stats shmats and records don't mean sh!t at this point. The NYG are in the SB for a good reason, they get it done when they need to and will show up on Sunday. I'm counting on Brady to do the same.

You sum it up quite nicely. Good post.

I don't see a blow out in the SB. The past games (including 2007 SB) against the Giants, the score was within 7pts differential.

The deciding factor will be turnovers...

I'd say if you make it to the SB, you're not over rated. They made it that far for a reason.

The betters have made the patriots favorites.

How exactly are the giants over-rated? They finished the season beating 2 wannabees to get into the playoffs (jets and cowboys). In the playoffs, the gaints then proceeded to beat the top 3 ranked teams in the nfl as of the end of the year (saints, packers, 49ers). If you think that the patriots should have been ranked higher than #4, then the giants have beaten 3 of the top four teams in successive weeks, and now play the 4th of the 4.

I don't see how it is over-rating the giants to have them as a slight underdog at this point.

We may think that we are much better and should be a touchdown, as we should as fans.

How exactly are the giants over-rated? They finished the season beating 2 wannabees to get into the playoffs (jets and cowboys). In the playoffs, the gaints then proceeded to beat the top 3 ranked teams in the nfl as of the end of the year (saints, packers, 49ers). If you think that the patriots should have been ranked higher than #4, then the giants have beaten 3 of the top four teams in successive weeks, and now play the 4th of the 4.

I don't see how it is over-rating the giants to have them as a slight underdog at this point.

We may think that we are much better and should be a touchdown, as we should as fans.

The giants didn't play the Saints and they would have gotten killed if they had.

I don't know if overrated it the word but I've heard literally no one pick the patriots in this game.

mgteich, it's a simple point and one which many people have put forward; if you make the Superbowl, you're a good side (not overrated or this or that). You're just a darn good side playing well enough to win your playoff games giving yourself the chance to win a championship.

Hopefully the Patriots will be good enough to win one more time this season.

Last edited:
I didn't real the whole OP, but I think it's pretty simple. They smoked the defending champion, 15-1 Packers in Lambeau. It wasn't even as close as the score would indicate due to bad calls. Then won again, on the road, vs a very well balance 49ers team in a dog fight.

I think the better question is, are the Giants due for a regression? Perhaps, but to suggest they are overrated would be to question the validity of their last two wins IMO.

how about a nice hail mary poorly played by the packers?

turnovers were the tale of the tape on that game.

I think the question about the Giants is are they a decent team that is on a hot streak, or are they an excellent team that slumped badly earlier.
I suppose it will be answered in Indy.

One thing that I always find funny, and it seems to happen a lot.
The Giants are considered hot, on a roll, etc. That's because they have won 5 in a row. The Patriots have won 10 in a row, but are not considered hot.

Admittedly I only went through half the thread but I'm pretty surprised no one mentioned LB Michael Boley

Besides Tuck being banged up and ineffective, Osi missing a good part of the year---Boley is by FAR the key reason why the Giants defense is playing like night and day compared to the reg season. He calls all the plays and the defense has had there good share of problems playing out of position.

A healthy Boley and the addition of Blackburn have made a world of a difference. The Giants D hasn't given up many big plays since then.

You mean the same Michael Boley who missed games 11 and 12? Where was he in games 1-10 and 13-16?

On the offensive side, Nicks and Manningham (Manningham being key IMO) are finally healthy, Cruz has done nothing but improve every week, the O-line has improved, and Eli has raised his game to another level.

I thought the O-Line got abused by the Niners. I actually think they are legally married in California now.

Honestly, looking at both teams your team is probably the luckiest to get into this game. You guys said it yourself that you are surprised to be in the SB. To say the Pats have been fortunate is an understatement. You guys get Tim Tebow at home in your 1st round, and perennial chokers in the Ravens in the 2nd round. You may say that we are not the best team from the NFC to show up in the SB, but I am certain you guys are not the best AFC team. The Steelers were the most complete team in that conference, but they had too many injuries and were way too overconfident versing the Broncos. Point being that is why football is great. "Any given Sunday." Maybe the Packers would have beaten us on any other day, or the 49ers for the matter as well, but it doesn't matter. Maybe you guys get the Steelers in the divisional round which would have been a greater challenge for you, or what if Lee Evans doesn't drop a TD pass or if Billy Cundiff doesn't have one of the worse playoff chokes off all time? Look, to put it frankly the reason why everybody is picking the Giants is because they are a better team( no I'm not just being a blind fan.) Looking at the match ups, we've always had the formula to beat Brady which is why we own him. Sure that can change, but I just don't see it. The Giants will take care of Hernandaz, Gronkowski will be a non-factor, and you guys are thin at receiver behind Welker. Add in our pass rush, and trust me your offense will have your hands full. And by the way your defense still sucks, and it will be exposed in the SB. Its just that you guys had the benefit of the doubt of facing less than stellar QB play in the AFC and really subpar competition. You guys are a classic example of taking advantage of lesser competition. Tell me one signature win( that you completely deserved to win) against a quality opponent this season. You say AFC championship, wrong Balt choked, you say divisional round, you got Tim Tebow. How about the regular season the best teams and qbs you faced were us and the Steelers which both were losses for you. I am just confused how you guys say were overrated and fortunate, when your the ones that really are. People realize this, realize you have one of the worse defenses in the NFL, realize you are now going to be limited offensively because of losing Gronkowski, and realize the last time you won something was multiple years ago in the middle of a cheating scandal. So don't be upset, I'm sure Super Bowl 42's loss will still be a lot worse than if you guys lost this one( I'd enjoy both SB wins equally as much.) Oh, and btw, two amazing SB runs would make Eli ELIte and probably a HOF QB.

Honestly, looking at both teams your team is probably the luckiest to get into this game. You guys said it yourself that you are surprised to be in the SB. To say the Pats have been fortunate is an understatement. You guys get Tim Tebow at home in your 1st round, and perennial chokers in the Ravens in the 2nd round. You may say that we are not the best team from the NFC to show up in the SB, but I am certain you guys are not the best AFC team. The Steelers were the most complete team in that conference, but they had too many injuries and were way too overconfident versing the Broncos. Point being that is why football is great. "Any given Sunday." Maybe the Packers would have beaten us on any other day, or the 49ers for the matter as well, but it doesn't matter. Maybe you guys get the Steelers in the divisional round which would have been a greater challenge for you, or what if Lee Evans doesn't drop a TD pass or if Billy Cundiff doesn't have one of the worse playoff chokes off all time? Look, to put it frankly the reason why everybody is picking the Giants is because they are a better team( no I'm not just being a blind fan.) Looking at the match ups, we've always had the formula to beat Brady which is why we own him. Sure that can change, but I just don't see it. The Giants will take care of Hernandaz, Gronkowski will be a non-factor, and you guys are thin at receiver behind Welker. Add in our pass rush, and trust me your offense will have your hands full. And by the way your defense still sucks, and it will be exposed in the SB. Its just that you guys had the benefit of the doubt of facing less than stellar QB play in the AFC and really subpar competition. You guys are a classic example of taking advantage of lesser competition. Tell me one signature win( that you completely deserved to win) against a quality opponent this season. You say AFC championship, wrong Balt choked, you say divisional round, you got Tim Tebow. How about the regular season the best teams and qbs you faced were us and the Steelers which both were losses for you. I am just confused how you guys say were overrated and fortunate, when your the ones that really are. People realize this, realize you have one of the worse defenses in the NFL, realize you are now going to be limited offensively because of losing Gronkowski, and realize the last time you won something was multiple years ago in the middle of a cheating scandal. So don't be upset, I'm sure Super Bowl 42's loss will still be a lot worse than if you guys lost this one( I'd enjoy both SB wins equally as much.) Oh, and btw, two amazing SB runs would make Eli ELIte and probably a HOF QB.

:rofl:

Can...not...compute...the...stupidity..

Honestly.........

Just stop right there....... you're embarrassing yourself. Your not being honest..... you are being a homer fan.

Fine, you think your team will win...... We get it. Beyond that, your reasoning sucks. Face it, you are brining a flawed 9-7 team that got lucky in the playoffs beating a great team that did not show up and an inexperienced San Fran. You're meeting a New England team that certainly has had it's own issues and flaws this year too. We've gotten better over the last 10 winning streak and playing way better then when we last met. We just beat a Ravens team that is clearly more talented and better then Giants (in just about every statistical measure). You're playing better then week 9 too and it was a battle back then and it will be a battle this time.

We'll see you Sunday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back