PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Eagles sitting out F.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
While I am not fan of their team I wonder what they are doing.
They have lots of $$ and Mcnabb has asked for a few more weapons on offense. I have not heard of them signing anybody to improve them. They must be going to draft whatever they need.
Sometimes I don't understand how they guys think.

Its so nice our front office makes moves to improve our team every year. I guess their fans deserve it.

While I am not fan of their team I wonder what they are doing.
They have lots of $$ and Mcnabb has asked for a few more weapons on offense. I have not heard of them signing anybody to improve them. They must be going to draft whatever they need.
Sometimes I don't understand how they guys think.

Its so nice our front office makes moves to improve our team every year. I guess their fans deserve it.

It's not that they're "sitting out" of FA, but they're letting a few of their key guys, albeit big leadership voices, walk. Dawkins, the heart and soul of this team, is gone. Their long-time LT Tra Thomas is all but gone...you know how HUGE that QB's blind-sided bodyguard is. Sure-Jon Runyan was getting old, but he was the leadership voice on the offensive ball like Dawkins was on defense. Correll Buckhalter, a hugely underrated player on their O, left on day 1...and he was a great backup to Westbrook to boot.

To their credit, they got Runyan's replacement in Stacey Andrews, who happens to be Shawn's brother, and they'll both be lined up on the right side of the OL. However-the Ravens' Jason Brown would have been ALOT better. Stacey is coming off knee surgury of 2 torn ligaments, and it seems like Reid made this signing b/c Shawn has been struggling with depression, and Reid probably felt bringing in his brother would help him keep his head straight. IOW-Stacey will likely be a babysitter more than anything else. Yes-he's a very talented OL, but they could have done better.

It looks like Shawn Springs will be signed tomorrow. However-the bad news is that Sheldon Brown, who's unhappy with his current contract, will likely go on the trading block...and early word is that they want to trade him to Zona for Boldin. Boldin will be a huge upgrade to Philly's O, but losing Brown will be a HUGE loss for Philly's D.

All in all-so far, they've had some good, but more bad. As for the lack of signing FAs, the FA market is overrated anyways.

All in all-so far, they've had some good, but more bad. As for the lack of signing FAs, the FA market is overrated anyways.

Like I said am not a fan of them but you do make a good point.

Like I said am not a fan of them but you do make a good point.

For some reason, this last season's Eagles team reminds me alot of that '05 Panthers team. Like the '05 Panthers team, they struggled with inconsistency throughout the year, only to clinch WC spots at season's end against divisional opponents that mailed it in(Falcons in '05 and Cowboys last year, respectively). They proceeded to get hot in the playoffs...the WC opponents they beat were teams pretty much just getting their feet wet in the big games for the first time(Eli/Giants in '05 and Childress/young QB/Vikings last year, respectively). Their opponents in the NFCDG were teams that played stellar through most of the year until they lost their identities in the last month(i.e. Rex Grossman not getting back until LATE in the year after Orton was winning games for them/Mike Brown getting hurt, and the whole Plaxico incident wearing on the Giants in the final month, respectively), and they took care of them in business-like manners. Then in their NFCCGs, their gas tanks and emotions just went empty AND they had to fly to the other side country.

Carolina the following year, despite getting picked by every pundit to win the Super Bowl, lost several key vetarans/leaders that all but ended up putting a fork in their '06 season. I'm not saying the Eagles will do the same this year(I think they'll be good), but the similarities are just there.

Philadelphia is a team that doesn't get itself in to cap problems despite occassional big-name, big-contract signings. I'm guessing they're just waiting for the dust to settle from the big bucks thrown around the first few days, and then swoop in on a couple of players that start to get nervous because they they're still unsigned - eventually landing a few lower-priced free agents.

Philadelphia is a team that doesn't get itself in to cap problems despite occassional big-name, big-contract signings. I'm guessing they're just waiting for the dust to settle from the big bucks thrown around the first few days, and then swoop in on a couple of players that start to get nervous because they they're still unsigned - eventually landing a few lower-priced free agents.

Philly isn't the "cheap" team everyone makes them out to be. They broke the bank on Jevon Kearse, Asante Samuel, have heavily invested in both lines, caved into Brian Westbrook's demands last year, etc.

FA is overrated anyways-there's only 4-5 very good players, then the talent level drops off tremendously afterwards. I mean there's a REASON why their respective teams let them walk.

Philly isn't the "cheap" team everyone makes them out to be. They broke the bank on Jevon Kearse, Asante Samuel, have heavily invested in both lines, caved into Brian Westbrook's demands last year, etc.

FA is overrated anyways-there's only 4-5 very good players, then the talent level drops off tremendously afterwards. I mean there's a REASON why their respective teams let them walk.
Yeah, I agree. They pick and choose a select few whom they think are true difference-makers - and avoid the overpaid next level of players that end up with just as big contracts (Jerry Porter, Jevon Walker, etc.) Philly is well above average in understanding how to be competitive over the long term in the salary cap era.

They do have a couple of 1st rounders. So, they are hoping for a good draft. Maybe Lurie is having financial trouble. Isn't he in the car business? WIP is loving it thought. THeir fans are in an uproar.

They do have a couple of 1st rounders. So, they are hoping for a good draft. Maybe Lurie is having financial trouble. Isn't he in the car business? WIP is loving it thought. THeir fans are in an uproar.

Here's how the NFCE pans out...

The Redskins OVER-pay players

The Eagles UNDER-pay players

The Giants are IN-between...they pay their players very well, but they will draw the line, ultimately.

As for the Cowboys? Jethro is schitzo...one minute he uses every bit of knowledge that he rubbed off of The Tuna from '03-'06, the next minute he goes on a compulsive spending spree. Last year you saw the bad Jethro, this year, so far, it's the good Jethro.

philly front office is very similar in terms of the pats. they let players go when they need to and try and improve via the draft etc.its just the rabid fan base and media there always kills them for doing nothing but barring no SB's they have been pretty successful running the show so far.Look at dallas who has signed anyyone and everyone with a big name. nothing to show for it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes