Welcome to PatsFans.com

Are the Chargers 1/2 an expansion team now?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Feb 13, 2007.

1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

The Chargers in 1 month have gone from a perrenial powerhouse to an expansion team in terms of coaching...I have not seen a complete wipeout of coaches like this in a very long time except with expansion teams,Almost as if SD was a first year team.

Can SD with the best overall talent in the league right now be able to withstand all new coaching?

What they accomplish next year will be a true tale of the question of 'Do coaches make the players better?,or Do the players make the coaches look better.

Some people question this, relates to sort of like in horse racing a question I always pondered 'Does a good jockey make a bad horse look and perform better? or Does a good horse make a bad jockey look better?

2. TeamPats

TeamPats On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think the biggest gap that can occur on a team is the gap between coach and GM. No matter what coaching staff comes into this job they will always have to face off with A.J. Smith. Now granted he has done a very good job so far in talent evaluation, but too often teams fall apart because of disagreements at the top no matter the quality of players involved.

3. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,780 / 9 / -2

#50 Jersey

I don't think it's necessarily so dire. Losing the HC and both coordinators happens all the time -- a new coach typically brings in his own junior staff.

The main problem IMO is not what the Chargers have lost, but what their choices are to restock with. It's not so much the head coaching vacancy -- you still have promising young guns like Singletary and Rivera out there, as well as plenty of plug-and-play retreads like Jim Fassel. The big challenge is filling out a talented staff at this late date. Most position coaches are already committed, and teams aren't likely to look kindly on requests to start interviewing them in March.

4. mikiemo83

mikiemo83 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Here comes Bill Parcels

or could Cower come out of his so-called retirement

5. frankiesfly

frankiesfly Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think BB already proved that coaches make players better.

6. PATRIOTSFANINPA

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I don't know but for some reason when and if Cowher comes back this year or next,I see him coaching an NFC team,just a hunch here.

7. PATRIOTSFANINPA

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I don't think guys like Tony Dungy are better coaches than the plaers...BB is a rare exception IMO

Look at Phil Jackson in the NBA,He was a part of a legendary team with Michael Jordan and Co.Then goes to the Lakers with guys like Kobe and Shaq,In that case,at least in another sports league the players made the coach better-can go both ways I guess.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  8. Fixit

Fixit In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +315 / 3 / -3

Not with all of those undisciplined players.

9. mikiemo83

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

wonder who has more arrest this offseason - the Chargers or Bengals?

10. carolinatony

carolinatony In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't believe Cowher will coach again. I think we wants a suit job with some team and have more time with the family and less traveling.

11. aabtec

aabtec On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think we found out this year that the players make the system. It can be a lousy system (aka Pete Carroll) but if you look at the players we have had over the last few years the players made the system. The last two years we have not had the players and we have not made the SB.

12. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +582 / 50 / -8

#75 Jersey

The only thing that doesn't make any sense to me is why they let both their OC and DC take HC jobs, and then fired Marty.

The big thing about the lack of "Martyball" this year was that he was letting Cam Cameron call all the plays and he wasn't interfering. Now they have let both he and Phillips go.

This situation seems eeerily similar to the firing of Pete Carrol, when we all know that Kraft already had BB ready to take the job. Maybe the reverse is true here, and the Chargers have Pere Carrol all set to take this job. I can not believe that they fired Marty at this juncture without having his replacement already in place.

13. Gumby

Gumby 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +86 / 1 / -1

#11 Jersey

The question really is do they now select a coach based on what kind of players the GM wants to draft. Because there is very little time for a new hire coach to have an impact / say-so on the pre-draft evaluations at this point.

And will the GM essentially determine what kind of offense / defense are they going to run based on the players he selected again driving who they select as a coach.

any way you slice it; it really just points to truly inept ownership here.

You trying to tell me they couldn't anticipate that their OC / DC might be in demand? Once you committed to marty after the loss; you put your chips in the middle and said "I'm all in". It is a little too late 2 days after the Pro Bowl to come back and say 'I only meant to raise by a 1,000'. They screwed the pooch 4 weeks ago; but they should have let it ride (IMO).

14. mikiemo83

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

why would poodle pete take a job and not be able to shop for the groceries - flash back of the Bobby Grier Days for Pete

15. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,780 / 9 / -2

#50 Jersey

Two possible reasons:

- A.J. Smith, for all his personality issues, has already shopped for the best young groceries in the league

- Is that the NCAA I hear tiptoeing around the USC football program?

16. Kdo5

Kdo5 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +178 / 8 / -7

They still have good players but they just screwed themselves. OK, if you were going to fire Schottenheimer then do it EARLIER and make sure you can sign your OC as he knows the system well.

17. mikiemo83

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

two very good points

18. lander

lander Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Most of us in Chargerland are stunned right now. But we have the main ingredient intact --- great players. Hopefully we'll be able to overcome the losses.

19. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +582 / 50 / -8

#75 Jersey

BINGO, we have BINGO

I think USC is headed into NCAA sanctions

20. salty

salty On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thats ridiculous. If we didn't have the players, and its not the system that makes the players, than how the hell did the Pats make it to the AFC Championship Game this year?

Some people are never satisfied.