Welcome to PatsFans.com

Are republicans idiots or are they liars when it comes to medicare?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Phokus, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Phokus

Phokus Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pollster.com: And Government Run Medicare Is....?

Wait... what?

I'm getting sick of these idiot seniors who attend these tea party rallies who shout 'GUBMINT BETTER NOT TOUCH MY MEDCIARE' B.S. These are the people that the GOP seem to be catering to

2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +345 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

The people those adds are targiting aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. They don't understand that medicare is run by the government.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Obviously I can't speak to this particular person but you can be against government run healthcare, including Medicare, and still not want Medicare weakened if you're on it. There's nothing inconsistent about that. Whether healthcare should be changed so people wouldn't be stuck on Medicare when they're old is another story. And what happens to Medicare when it's costs rocket out of control with the boomers retiring is yet another story.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +826 / 7 / -2

Could you tell us what it is she said, that you think is a lie? Thanks.

5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

He's making the poor argument that because someone doesn't like government run health care they shouldn't be opposed to weakening Medicare - which is government run health care. It's a weak argument at best, however.

6. Phokus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Uh, she said "because government run health care is wrong"

But she doesn't want Medicare weakened.

It's insinuating that Medicare somehow isn't government run. that's why you have drooling idiot boomers at these tea party events screaming about how they dont' want government intervention in their medicare. If they actually bothered to lookup what medicare is, they'd be singing a different tune. Sometimes i wish they'd take away their medicare to realize what it actually is.

Also, without medicare, boomers won't be able to get any healthcare coverage because no insurance company would be stupid enough to provide it for them (the costs would be astronomical)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

We're stuck with Medicare now aren't we. I'm against government run health care and I think it's wrong. But I don't want Medicare weakened because too many are stuck with it now.

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

There's no good solution now that we're stuck with it. The ponzi scheme leaves us with no choice, that's how it works. If we weren't ponzied when we were younger and could put our Medicare taxes into personal accounts for later then we'd be able to pay for insurance premiums as they rise. There are possible options but not the way it's currently set up.

9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It seems to me that the OP is trying to call a group of people "idiots" when there is no evidence to support it. At the very worst they could possibly be called hypocrites, but I think every single one of us will gladly take anything we are legally entitled to even if we don't support the policy which gave it to us.

When Bush suggested the government make tax rebate checks, a lot of people on the left opposed that idea and were very critical of him. Of course, that didn't stop them from cashing those checks and spending the money however they wanted. Does that make them "idiots (or) liars" too?

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +826 / 7 / -2

She is in no way insinuating anything like that. You're assuming something that simply isn't there. Plus, Medicare funding is slated to be be slashed under the current bill. So yes, passing this bill will weaken Medicare.

11. Phokus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes she is insinuating that.

If government healthcare is wrong, why would you care if medicare is weakened. In fact, that would be a pro, not a con.

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Because we're stuck with it now. I think Medicare sucks but weakening it would make it suck more than it already sucks.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +826 / 7 / -2

You are trying to attribute a meaning to her statement, that doesn't exist.

One would care if it's weakened, because it treats a lot of people who are 65 and older, who have no coverage of their own. Medicare is less than ideal, but it currently serves a purpose, and is something that a lot of elders depend on. Weakening it, would hurt people. It's that simple. Furthermore, medicare is subsidized by the privately insured. The fixed costs of medicare are made up for by overcharging those with private care.