PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are people ACTUALLY worried about the O?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farn

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Seriously. The D has exceeded early expectations. Considering all the losses (especially Seymour and Mayo, who had once been counted on), I'm not losing sleep over the D.

I'm pretty sure that the offense will find it's groove. Edelman for 98 ? Wacko. Let's be thankful it's early. The only thing that is frustrating is the loss was inside the AFCE... conference losses cost this team last year.

Re: Are people ACTUALLY worried about the O ?

Seriously. The D has exceeded early expectations. Considering all the losses (especially Seymour and Mayo, who had once been counted on), I'm not losing sleep over the D.

I'm pretty sure that the offense will find it's groove. Edelman for 98 ? Wacko. Let's be thankful it's early. The only thing that is frustrating is the loss was inside the AFCE... conference losses cost this team last year.

4 delay of game penalties??? SERIOUSLY????

yeah, that worries me.

Very, very uncharacteristic. If this goes on (woes on O, delays...) I'll freely admit I'm wrong - but I'm still not buying it that the O won't wake up sooner rather than later.

I am only worried of a couple of things:

1. Its only been two games, but has Brady even ATTEMPTED a 50 yard+ pass yet?

2. Brady over/under threw a good amount of his passes.

We have become a "Fancy Nancy" type of offense that isn't going to win a championship unless it has a great defense. And, we ain't got one of them either. The Jets played pretty much the whole game with 2 yes 2 f'n Def. linemen and we refused to pound the ball at them and make them play a normal defense. When a team is giving you 5-7 yards off tackle. Take it!! Hell, we averaged barely over 4yds per passing attempt. You aren't going to win many football games that way. We have the personnel to be a more balanced offense. Not sure we have the tenacity/desire to do it.

This offense will be unstoppable when Brady decides to clear the mental hurdle he has going on. He still has that quick release which bailed the O-Line out of a couple of sacks today (though he did still get hit). However, quick release and all, he wasn't hitting his receivers because he wasn't setting his feet like he used to. He will start to get over the fear and set his feet down the line. It's just a matter of when that happens. For an example, think back to Manning last year. Obviously, he was able to clear his faster because it wasn't as bad of an injury. However, they are both top tier QBs. The Jets better be happy that they played us once early in the year. I believe that we're going to tear through them the next time we meet. Brady should have his bearings under him by then.

Last edited:
The O is sloppy right now. There were several dellay of game penalties. Brady was missing open receivers. And we gave up running the ball wasy too early today. We got dominated today because we weren't aggessive enough. Taking a shot 50 yards down the field isn't the only way to be aggressive. Knocking Jests defenders on their a** when you're running the ball is another way to do it.

Also, can anyone honestly tell me that our offense is adequately utalizing the tallents of Laurence Maroney, Ben Watson, and Joey Galloway in the passing game. Maroney is great in space but is rarely used as a receiver. Ben Watson was kind of quite today after a spectacular Monday night. And Galloway has big game speed, but he's been Sunday church quiet. There are honest concerns.

I'd say I'm a little worried about it given that we can't run without holding and have yet to protect the QB after two games.

"We have become a "Fancy Nancy" type of offense that isn't going to win a championship unless it has a great defense. And, we ain't got one of them either. The Jets played pretty much the whole game with 2 yes 2 f'n Def. linemen and we refused to pound the ball at them and make them play a normal defense. When a team is giving you 5-7 yards off tackle. Take it!! Hell, we averaged barely over 4yds per passing attempt. You aren't going to win many football games that way. We have the personnel to be a more balanced offense. Not sure we have the tenacity/desire to do it."

Yes...I agree
Brady is not Brady yet
the OL is average and not much more
running game below average
poor play calling... no draws,screens
No deep pass as said above

We have become a "Fancy Nancy" type of offense that isn't going to win a championship unless it has a great defense. And, we ain't got one of them either. The Jets played pretty much the whole game with 2 yes 2 f'n Def. linemen and we refused to pound the ball at them and make them play a normal defense. When a team is giving you 5-7 yards off tackle. Take it!! Hell, we averaged barely over 4yds per passing attempt. You aren't going to win many football games that way. We have the personnel to be a more balanced offense. Not sure we have the tenacity/desire to do it.

I agree with what you said. I also believe we have the personnel to run the ball effectively. What I see is a coaching staff that calls two runs plays in a row that nets a first down. They run again on first and get stuffed and then follow it with 10-15 consecutive pass plays.

Having Brady drop back 50 times during a game is far from ideal and it's going to end up getting him killed. There has to be a commitment to a more physical style of play to take the (searing) heat off the passing game or it's going to be rinse and repeat from opposing D's all year until we prove we can beat it. And I hate the running back by committee approach. Stick with one (preferably Fred Taylor) until they fall apart and then go get a fresh one.

Last edited:
How can you not be worried about this offense?

its ironical that we dont run the ball a lot inspite of collecting all those running backs.

I'm afraid the Pats are becoming the Rams after the super bowl loss to the Pats. Oh, the irony. The Pats showed the blueprint to the entire league and it took years and a few teams until Kurt Warner recovered. Now, the blueprint is out on the Pats, and they continue to throw, throw and throw some more even though it's not working. In fact, Brady can't throw deep without getting hit and the ball being redirected because of the hit. It's too easy for any team to "pin their ears back" and rush the QB when they are always showing pass. I just don't understand, the Pats have 4 good RB's on their roster and their not using them. In addition, even when Brady is under center, opposing teams haven't cared and get after them as if they were passing. Hopefully, BB realizes that the long passing game just isn't in the works until they can run the ball effectively.

Last edited:
"We have become a "Fancy Nancy" type of offense that isn't going to win a championship unless it has a great defense. And, we ain't got one of them either. The Jets played pretty much the whole game with 2 yes 2 f'n Def. linemen and we refused to pound the ball at them and make them play a normal defense. When a team is giving you 5-7 yards off tackle. Take it!! Hell, we averaged barely over 4yds per passing attempt. You aren't going to win many football games that way. We have the personnel to be a more balanced offense. Not sure we have the tenacity/desire to do it."

Yes...I agree
Brady is not Brady yet
the OL is average and not much more
running game below average
poor play calling... no draws,screens
No deep pass as said above

I agree with everything you said except the comments about the running game and the O-line. The running game was there. We were moving the ball on the ground. The only thing that consistently stopped our running game was the string of passing plays that were called.

The O-line was unfortunately hung out to dry. They weren't allowed to consistently get after the Jests linebackers. If we kept running it, especially when the Jests only had to down linemen, we could have had them eating dirt on huge running plays.

The offensive has not been very good the first two games. Brady and his receivers have not been on the same page. The O lines has not been very good. because Brady is either getting knocked around or making a quick pass to avoid getting sacked. Their running game seems OK but the pats do not seem to run very much. On paper their offensive should be good but that has not been the case.

its ironical that we dont run the ball a lot inspite of collecting all those running backs.

Great point, and why make Ben Jarvus active if you wont let him run 1 play

This offense will be unstoppable when Brady decides to clear the mental hurdle he has going on. He still has that quick release which bailed the O-Line out of a couple of sacks today (though he did still get hit). However, quick release and all, he wasn't hitting his receivers because he wasn't setting his feet like he used to. He will start to get over the fear and set his feet down the line. It's just a matter of when that happens. For an example, think back to Manning last year. Obviously, he was able to clear his faster because it wasn't as bad of an injury. However, they are both top tier QBs. The Jets better be happy that they played us once early in the year. I believe that we're going to tear through them the next time we meet. Brady should have his bearings under him by then.

this is exactly the problem.......Brady is constantly throwing off his back foot and his ball is coming out,too high.The pats are also not utilizing the comeback route.The penalties are just inexcusable.

No disrespect to the OP, but I have NO idea how you can NOT BE worried about the offense. Have you watched the same first two games as I have? When you get deep into the redzone 3 or 4 times against the Jets and 2 or 3 times against the Bills and have to settle for field goals, then there is a definite problem. Something isn't clicking.

Here are some questions I have in the early going (in no particular order):

- Can anyone tell me where Moss was down the stretch against the Jets?

- Can someone tell me why they abandoned the run after Fred Taylor looked so impressive in the early portion of the game?

- Can someone tell me why it's taking Joey Galloway so long to figure out what he needs to be doing out there? Better yet, can someone tell me why a veteran of the league for a decade+ continues to drop passes that are on his hands?

- Where is Chris Baker?

I know it's early. I know it's only been two games and there is time to get things "righted." I know that Peyton Manning had a similar start last year before the Colts got things going. I know these things. However, it's a very scary thing right now. Brady, despite all the nonsense he spouts in interviews, is obviously still tentative. Even when he has had opportunities to step into throws, he's missed wide open receivers and I've seen him overthrow more balls in the first two games than the rest of his career combined. That's scary right now. I warned on the board that this would be what we'd see from him even before mini-camp and I got flamed for it. Not to say 'I told ya so,' but . . .

"I'm afraid the Pats are becoming the Rams after the super bowl loss to the Pats. Oh, the irony. The Pats showed the blueprint to the entire league and it took years and a few teams until Kurt Warner recovered. Now, the blueprint is out on the Pats, and they continue to throw, throw and throw some more even though it's not working. In fact, Brady can't throw deep without getting hit and the ball being redirected because of the hit. It's too easy for any team to "pin their ears back" and rush the QB when they are always showing pass. I just don't understand, the Pats have 4 good RB's on their roster and their not using them. In addition, even when Brady is under center, opposing teams haven't cared and get after them as if they were passing. Hopefully, BB realizes that the long passing game just isn't in the works until they can run the ball effectively."

Get another Dillion and RUN the ball. Boy, I miss him.

Brady only had two receivers with whom he's comfortable with, Moss and Watson, playing today. All of the other guys were new. Edelman looks promising, but Galloway has struggled. We'll see if there's improvement there.

Brady has been a little off, but 90% of these misplaced passes have come from when he's been under pressure. The o-line is really not doing him any favors.

I think we should go back to a more conservative offense for the time being. This is not 2007. We don't have Gaffney and Stallworth to compliment Moss and Welker anymore. But we do have a solid group of RBs. Maroney and Taylor could start for most teams in the league, Morris could for a few as well, and BJGE is no slouch. We have two above average TE's in Baker and Watson. And of course there is Old Reliable, Kevin Faulk.

I really liked last season's more balanced offense. I know we should try to get the most out of the GOAT, but I just don't think we have the tools for him right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes