PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are Pats fans worried about the Jets? Plus more questions from a Jets fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beisdes the question in the thread title, I do have some inquiries as a Jets fan...if you'll indulge me:

1) Even with all the bluster, ego, trash talking, and the high amount of hubris Do Pats fans actually respect the coaching ability & defensive mind of Rex Ryan? [I think he is a very solid coach, but a comical joke that sucks toes and wants a " GOD DAMN SNACK

2) Another Rex Ryan question: The Superbowl guarantees he makes every year: Good or bad for the NFL and the Jets? -[It's GREAT I love it
I love his tom foolery

3) Mark Sanchez seems to be a quarterback who plays between the range of poor and average during the regular season but then plays between good and very good during the playoffs. He is the opposite of Joe Flacco, who plays between the range of good - very good in the regular season and then plays poor in the post season. But this is just a Jets fan's opinion. Going into his third season, what is your frank opinion on Mark Sanchez and his future as an NFL quarterback? -[Sanchez is 0-2 in the BIGGEST games of his life

4) Was the 28-21 Jets win over the Patriots in the playoffs last season a case of 'the better team won' or was it more a case of 'any given Sunday?' [-any given, but we were out coached and played a poor game. Hernandez not healthy HURT by HIP. Hernandez TORCHED you guys

5) From the outside looking in The Patriots could do with a pass rusher, especially seeing how they were unable to get to Sanchez in the playoff game? Then they released Tully Banta-Cain, who to me was more of a scheme sack guy than a natural pass rusher. How do you feel about the Patriots not adding a proven a pass rusher yet? Fat Albert say's Hi- We will have a wicked defense that can apply impressive pressure b/c our front 3 will need to be double covered or 2 of the 3 :) they will open huge holes for the LB's so they can bum rush the Sanchize we are extemely strong and deep on both lines :) I can't wait:rocker:

Last edited:
I got five questions for you:

1) Do you think Mark Sanchez is going to enjoy being Vince Wilfork's, Ty Warren's and Fat Albert Haynesworth's squeeze toy?

The Jets offensive line handled Hanyesworth very well when he was with Tennessee. And there he had two VERY good bookends in Jevon Kearse and Kyle Vanden Bosch. So I think we'll be alright.

2) How weird is it to have a head coach who sniffs cleats late at night when everybody has gone home?

I'd rather have a coach who does that have a head coach who breaks up a home by causing a divorce cause he was 'the other man' in the marriage like Belichick did. What? You thought I didn't know that?

3) What the hell does your ELFMP moniker mean, anyway?

E-I-F-M-P: I made this screen name waaaay back in '98. It means excellence is forever my presence

4) How did that rat snitch traitor ingrate Eric Mangini thing work out for you?

He helped draft Revis, David Harris, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, (and then Gholston...YUCK). Brought in Favre. He is the last coach to beat Tom Brady in New England during the regular season. He then gave us his draft spot (after we paid through the nose) to draft Mark Sanchez. He cost the Patriots draft picks because of spygate. And his dour, Bill Belichick like demeanor prompted Jets management to seek a coach who had an opposite demeanor in Rex Ryan. I'd say solid C overall though because he had no playoff wins, and didn't make any significant changes in 2008 when Brett Favre has the shoulder injury and they didn't report it nor take him out of the game.

5) Why don't you get lost?

I like to keep things interesting. Also, I was a member of the New Kids on the Block fan club...I seems to make it a habit standing out in some quirky way. So why not here?

This is a fair question and assessment. Allow me to retort.

1. I asked the questions to get a Patriots fan's overall state of the Jets. I know there is hate and animosity for the Jets by Patriots fans but I expected a level of respect for the team, and yes I'll say it, even Mark Sanchez.

2. I think that some of the opinions Patriot fans had in 2009 about Sanchez and the Jets have stuck two years later even though he improved in his 2nd year. They might not have seen all the games, or they have a certain hatred that prevents them from fairly evaluating the players on the Jets, or maybe they are just being fair and that is their honest opinion.

3. I responded as such to comments that I didn't agree with, primarily about Mark Sanchez, because I want to make sure that they are taking the totality of everything he has accomplished into account. Maybe it's my fault for assuming that every person would look past their individual bias towards a team and be fair. Trust me, this is for my own edification. I am NOT running back to Jets forums, all indignant like, reporting what responses I get here.

4. But you when someone who: has a 94+ QB rating in the playoffs, is tied for the most road playoff wins in his 2nd season, has five 4th quarter comebacks, is being called 'maybe the worst starting quarterback in the league,' I have to respond. Simply because that doesn't add up to fair criticism.

5. Yeah, I know I'll get responses like "A JEST fan thought he would get fair an unbiased opinions from a Patriots forum? What an idiot!"...and maybe I deserve it. But you wanted to know why I retorted to previous posters and now you have your answer.

1. You're on a Pats board. You can't honestly expect any respect. That's how message boards work for sports.

2. It took the Jersey fans a long time to come around to thinking Brady was actually half-decent. Like 3 superbowls, lol. Also see #1.

3. See #1.

4. See #1. And beware the confirmation bias on your end. And Trent Dilfer in 2000 had a passer rating of 92.

5. You're saying you're responding to previous posts knowing that you're talking to a wall because of those previous points? Makes perfect sense.

Just teasing you. Post away.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of Sanchez. I honestly think he is terrible which is why I haven't posted in here. I didn't really think my opinion would be very informative to you.

However, I would like to know why it is you believe Sanchez is good. Please take into account the fact that he was 27th in the league for QB rating during the regular season last year. While his rating improved in postseason, that is a very small sample size, and I would argue, statistically negligible. From where do you find your faith in him?

I see the Brad Smith saga in New Jersey is over. He is now a Bill. $15 million over 4 years.

Hmm wonder how they'll use him? Besides gettig as much NYJ intel as possible. Overpaid they did for him.

Thank you for the response.

Next question: what would you expect to happen if the circumstances were identically reversed? Specifically, what kind of responses would you expect if a fan of the Patriots went to one of the Jets forums and asked five similar questions about the Pats to the forum members there?

Oh I know Jets fans are some of the most cretinous people you'll ever meet. Ever been to a Jets game? From the cursing towards children, to yelling "show your tits" to women...it is a most of the time awful experience. That's why they wont sell beer after half time. So I expect that maybe 1 out of every 6 posters will be honest in an assessment of the Patriots. You will get a few fair critics to be honest.

Hmm wonder how they'll use him? Besides gettig as much NYJ intel as possible. Overpaid they did for him.

Yeah, for such an athletic talent he is such a challenge to incorporate onto the football field.

Beisdes the question in the thread title, I do have some inquiries as a Jets fan...if you'll indulge me:

1) Even with all the bluster, ego, trash talking, and the high amount of hubris Do Pats fans actually respect the coaching ability & defensive mind of Rex Ryan?

I respect his defensive ability. His overall ability as a coach is something I'm still not 100% sure of.

2) Another Rex Ryan question: The Superbowl guarantees he makes every year: Good or bad for the NFL and the Jets?

Stupid for the Jets, irrelevant for the NFL.

3) Mark Sanchez seems to be a quarterback who plays between the range of poor and average during the regular season but then plays between good and very good during the playoffs. He is the opposite of Joe Flacco, who plays between the range of good - very good in the regular season and then plays poor in the post season. But this is just a Jets fan's opinion. Going into his third season, what is your frank opinion on Mark Sanchez and his future as an NFL quarterback?

He sucks. He's got enough talent to be better, and went from second worst in 2009 to between 4th-8th worst in 2010, although part of that is that some players really deteriorated from the year before. Time will tell how much better he gets.

4) Was the 28-21 Jets win over the Patriots in the playoffs last season a case of 'the better team won' or was it more a case of 'any given Sunday?'

More of a "given Sunday" issue, as the teams have been splitting the games between one another.

5) From the outside looking in The Patriots could do with a pass rusher, especially seeing how they were unable to get to Sanchez in the playoff game? Then they released Tully Banta-Cain, who to me was more of a scheme sack guy than a natural pass rusher. How do you feel about the Patriots not adding a proven a pass rusher yet?

Haynesworth helps. Wright helps, if he can stay healthy and produce as he was before the injury. I'm fine with having Cunningham in year 2, but I still want another OLB brought in.

As to your titular question: In the offseason, I worry about every team, and no teams, if you know what I mean. I sure don't want to see Nnamdi on the Jets.

1) Even with all the bluster, ego, trash talking, and the high amount of hubris Do Pats fans actually respect the coaching ability & defensive mind of Rex Ryan?

I think Rex is one of the top coaches in the league.

2) Another Rex Ryan question: The Superbowl guarantees he makes every year: Good or bad for the NFL and the Jets?

It has not hurt them - but it is kind of ridiculous to say it - everyone has that goal.

3) Going into his third season, what is your frank opinion on Mark Sanchez and his future as an NFL quarterback?

I think Sanchez is a top 10 QB in the league.
Not the greatest arm but the position is more than that and he is growing into leadership very well.

4) Was the 28-21 Jets win over the Patriots in the playoffs last season a case of 'the better team won' or was it more a case of 'any given Sunday?'

I think the better prepared team won - we were not flexible enough to counter.

5) From the outside looking in The Patriots could do with a pass rusher, especially seeing how they were unable to get to Sanchez in the playoff game? Then they released Tully Banta-Cain, who to me was more of a scheme sack guy than a natural pass rusher. How do you feel about the Patriots not adding a proven a pass rusher yet?

Bill values OL who can drop back in coverage over pass rushers ... In Bill I Trust.

;););););)

I have to say I'm not a big fan of Sanchez. I honestly think he is terrible which is why I haven't posted in here. I didn't really think my opinion would be very informative to you.

However, I would like to know why it is you believe Sanchez is good. Please take into account the fact that he was 27th in the league for QB rating during the regular season last year. While his rating improved in postseason, that is a very small sample size, and I would argue, statistically negligible. From where do you find your faith in him?

My faith in him comes from watching him every game and seeing more than just the bottom line stats.

I see:
  • Very good pocket awareness
  • Very good at escaping sacks.
  • The 4th quarter comebacks
  • The playoff perfromances (even if you want to discount them)
  • His ball security has improved
  • He has a better touch on the deep ball in his 2nd year compared to his first year
  • He can recognize defenses and audible into different plays

But it is mostly the fact that when the game is on the line, or when it gets to the post season, the man steps up. In his two playoff losses the defense let him down in both games. Unable to stop Manning in one game. Unable to stop Rashard Mendenhall or sack Big Ben in the other game. A Patriot fan, in response to my inquiries about Sanchez, said he's 0-2 in the biggest games of his life. This is true...but it is not as if he played badly and that's a direct reason why they lost ala Peyton Manning's pre-superbowl years, or Tom Brady's last two playoff losses.

I've stated in my original post Sanchez plays poor to average in the regular season and good to very good in the post season. He's still learning, still improving. This is why I have hope & faith (like that failed ABC sitcom).

Oh I know Jets fans are some of the most cretinous people you'll ever meet. Ever been to a Jets game? From the cursing towards children, to yelling "show your tits" to women...it is a most of the time awful experience. That's why they wont sell beer after half time. So I expect that maybe 1 out of every 6 posters will be honest in an assessment of the Patriots. You will get a few fair critics to be honest.

The fact is that on a Pats board you have gotten five full pages of Pats fans who made the attempt to answer your 5 questions, with one or two responses from fans who are offended by your presence here. On a Jets board you'd find an inverse response. And I speak from some experience. ;) And over the year's its gotten worse. The number of Jet fans who are wiling to talk football with a fan of an opponent has dropped to almost zero

I had made close to 2000 posts over the 10 years I was on Jetsinsider. There were some great fans, but lately the thugs and "internet tough guys" have taken over and while I lurk occasionally. Its not worth the aggravation to post. No matter how reasonably you post, the responses. for the most part, are pointless and sadly predictable

OTOH I welcome participation from fans of other teams. Within limits they offer different insights about our team. Adds some spice to the discourse. They shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

1) Respect Rex Ryan's coaching ability.

2) Stupid (for obvious reasons).

3) Average QB with potential to be slightly above average if his accuracy improves.

4) Poor execution on the Patriots behalf and a well coached, well executed game plan by the Jets.

5) There's plenty of in-house additions that should improve the Patriots pass rush. That said I would prefer someone who can do it to a consistently high level opposite Cunningham was brought in.

+1

Adding to number 5 Haynesworth probably solved pass rush issue, especially getting Wright, Warren and Bodden back.

Great job by Ryan in the playoff game, however the D will be much better this year. Better running backs now also for the Pats. Not sure if the Jets roster will be as strong?

Yeah, for such an athletic talent he is such a challenge to incorporate onto the football field.

Where do you think he'll play? Wildcat? The Bills don't have the offensive line for it.

WR? Brad Smith doesn't have enough WR skills to rate any more than a 4th wideout.

They paid 15 mil over 4 years for a KO returner. Sometimes a team's scheme or player usage makes a player look better than he really is. Adailus Thomas?Anyone remember him. A standout in Baltimore, but was he worth the money he was paid?

Its not worth the aggravation to post. No matter how reasonably you post, the responses. for the most part, are pointless and sadly predictable

It starts with them calling you an idiot and putting a * after pats. Not much logic at all in their responses but that's to be expected.

I swear the posters on that site are absolute idiots. Must be the fact that they have forgotten what the Lombardi trophy looks like. I am all for a good conversation but when you post something there..you have 10 20 yr olds calling you a ***got ect

Last edited:
My faith in him comes from watching him every game and seeing more than just the bottom line stats.

I see:
  • He has a better touch on the deep ball in his 2nd year compared to his first year

But it is mostly the fact that when the game is on the line, or when it gets to the post season, the man steps up. In his two playoff losses the defense let him down in both games. Unable to stop Manning in one game. Unable to stop Rashard Mendenhall or sack Big Ben in the other game. A Patriot fan, in response to my inquiries about Sanchez, said he's 0-2 in the biggest games of his life. This is true...but it is not as if he played badly and that's a direct reason why they lost ala Peyton Manning's pre-superbowl years, or Tom Brady's last two playoff losses.

I've stated in my original post Sanchez plays poor to average in the regular season and good to very good in the post season. He's still learning, still improving. This is why I have hope & faith (like that failed ABC sitcom).

Well, I guess only time will tell. I do think the Jets do have a lot of assets (unfortunately for us :p), but honestly I have never counted Sanchez among them. But you could argue that no one would have picked the Tom Brady from the draft as anything to write home about (well, except BB!).

The bottom line is that most fans of teams opposing the Jets will believe Sanchez is a threat when he consistently proves it, and not before.

Last edited:

I see:

Re: your list, I agree with you on 1-4 and 6. I'm still not so sure that the ball security's there, considering that he had 13 INTs last year and led the league in dropped INTs. QBs tend to improve on that as they get experience, though, so that doesn't have to be a career-defining issue for him. As for the last one, I'm not familiar enough with the Jets to comment on that either way, so will defer to your judgment on that.

If you don't think Sanchez is getting enough respect around here, you should have seen it last year. He was terrible as a rookie, and the track record for QBs turning it around after awful rookie years is pretty limited. Sanchez performed better than a lot of us thought he would last year, and while there are still a lot of holes in his game, some of which I don't know if he'll ever be able to fix, he definitely commands some grudging respect at this point. He shows up and finds a way to get the job done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back