PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are Pats fans worried about the Jets? Plus more questions from a Jets fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beisdes the question in the thread title, I do have some inquiries as a Jets fan...if you'll indulge me:

1) Even with all the bluster, ego, trash talking, and the high amount of hubris Do Pats fans actually respect the coaching ability & defensive mind of Rex Ryan?

2) Another Rex Ryan question: The Superbowl guarantees he makes every year: Good or bad for the NFL and the Jets?

3) Mark Sanchez seems to be a quarterback who plays between the range of poor and average during the regular season but then plays between good and very good during the playoffs. He is the opposite of Joe Flacco, who plays between the range of good - very good in the regular season and then plays poor in the post season. But this is just a Jets fan's opinion. Going into his third season, what is your frank opinion on Mark Sanchez and his future as an NFL quarterback?

4) Was the 28-21 Jets win over the Patriots in the playoffs last season a case of 'the better team won' or was it more a case of 'any given Sunday?'

5) From the outside looking in The Patriots could do with a pass rusher, especially seeing how they were unable to get to Sanchez in the playoff game? Then they released Tully Banta-Cain, who to me was more of a scheme sack guy than a natural pass rusher. How do you feel about the Patriots not adding a proven a pass rusher yet?

1) Hard not to. Last year's defense was at least aggravating to other offenses, and sometimes dominating. I doubt that would be the case if you replaced Ryan with Al Groh or Wade Phillips etc.

2) I wouldn't like it, but my football fan mindset is biased heavily by all these years of supporting Bill Belichick & the Krafts way of running the franchise. Ryan's guarantees are meant to energize his team and the fanbase, imo... which it probably does. It certainly generates storylines and media attention in a not too negative way, which is surely good for the NFL.

3) I think he's above average. I think he's benefited from the strong defense and running ability of the Jets. I don't know what could happen in his future, but it appears to be a wide range of possibilities from cracking under the pressure of the NYJ fan + media scrutiny in the superbowl or bust mentality and failing utterly to winning a superbowl and basically being the equivalent to Eli Manning (whatever that means to you.)

4) I see both of those things as one in the same under the Bill Parcells type argument "you are what your record says you are." I tend to blank out really aggravating losses, so I don't really remember that game at all :bricks: Both teams had chances to put themselves in a better position to win, and the Jets made the plays.

5) Hoping the Patriots get better on 3rd down, regardless of the pass rush. If Haynesworth is the answer, great. If having (what on paper should be) an improved secondary out there works to get teams punting, I'm equally as happy. Health from vets like Wilfork, Warren & Wright, and development from Cunningham and other younger D linemen (Pryor, Love) could all go a long way to making the defensive front able to control the line of scrimmage. I'd like to see that. I was moderately frustrated by the recent draft, where it appeared that the Patriots left opportunities to grab potential pass rushers on the table. Here's hoping that the Patriots didn't miss another Clay Matthews, especially if it turns out that M. Wilkerson is excellent.

1) not really......good coach who's an idiot as a person
2) the predictions don't matter.........it only matters when you don't measure up to them
3) the jets have been successful IN SPITE of the presence of Mark Sanchez. He has been good in the playoffs, but there's a good chance they won't even make the playoffs because of him.
4) that day, the better team won. the Jets staff outcoached the Pats staff.
5) I feel like its one aspect of the big picture. having a marginal pass rush needs to be combined with other factors to cause trouble.

The Jets suck

Beisdes the question in the thread title, I do have some inquiries as a Jets fan...if you'll indulge me:

1) Even with all the bluster, ego, trash talking, and the high amount of hubris Do Pats fans actually respect the coaching ability & defensive mind of Rex Ryan?

I respect him thus far. He did get to the Conference Championship two years in a row. I question some of his game management skills, but his results have been positive thus far. Ask me in a year or two.

2) Another Rex Ryan question: The Superbowl guarantees he makes every year: Good or bad for the NFL and the Jets?

I don't see willingly putting a target on your backs a good thing ever.

3) Mark Sanchez seems to be a quarterback who plays between the range of poor and average during the regular season but then plays between good and very good during the playoffs. He is the opposite of Joe Flacco, who plays between the range of good - very good in the regular season and then plays poor in the post season. But this is just a Jets fan's opinion. Going into his third season, what is your frank opinion on Mark Sanchez and his future as an NFL quarterback?

I think Sanchez will always be a middle of the road QB. He got lucky last year since he lead the league in dropped INTs. He is too inconsistent. He is a guy who likely will have equal flashes of brilliance and mediocrity throughout his career.

4) Was the 28-21 Jets win over the Patriots in the playoffs last season a case of 'the better team won' or was it more a case of 'any given Sunday?'

I think it is a case of situations, two closely matched teams facing each other, and a team bringing something new that the other team wasn't prepared for. The Pats dominated the first quarter, but a couple of mistakes stopped what could have been disaster for the Jets to turn into missed opportunities for the Pats. The Jets turned it on in the second where the Pats were slow to respond.

I think if the Pats and Jets played each other 10 times there would be a 6-4, 5-5 type of split.

5) From the outside looking in The Patriots could do with a pass rusher, especially seeing how they were unable to get to Sanchez in the playoff game? Then they released Tully Banta-Cain, who to me was more of a scheme sack guy than a natural pass rusher. How do you feel about the Patriots not adding a proven a pass rusher yet?

Well, the Pats added Haynesworth and get back Mike Wright. Those are two proven pass rushers although we need to find out what Haynesworth's attitude will be. I still think the Pats add an OLB.

Well, the Pats added Haynesworth and get back Mike Wright. Those are two proven pass rushers although we need to find out what Haynesworth's attitude will be. I still think the Pats add an OLB.

Agree 100% ..............:rocker:

Talk to me when FA is over. Right now the Jets have about 25 good to very good players and a bunch of practice-squad wanna-be JAG's.

At this moment the Jets are much worse than they were last year at the end of the season. Shaun Ellis was probably their best front-7 guy in the playoff game last year. Gone. Taylor, solid at the least, gone. Almost all safety depth gone. WR depth gone. #2 CB gone.

Both DL draft picks are very raw in an off-season when raw is not good.

If they can replace all of those players then they won't be worse than last year but who on that team looks to improve all that much? It's not like they're filled with young talent.

The Jets have a lot of players to replace so I will reserve judgment until we see who they replace them with.

I hate everything about the jets..

I hate that stupid jet plane thing they do after they score.

Their "scheme" worked against the patriots last year in the playoffs. Lets hope they try it again..ask the fins how that worked out a second time.

Their QB i overratted, and he isnt even rated that high.

Holmes is overratted and I dont want to hear about his game winning TD cathes. A good team will never be in the position to need a good game winning TD often enough for that stat to matter.

LT Looks hot at the begning, but by mid season I wonder if he is even still playing.

Their fans may be the only thing worse than the actual team. Every year they are shouting SB, and then as soon as they lose their first game EVERY fan turns on the team and wants every coach and player to be cut or fired. Then next week, they will win by 2 points against the worst team in the NFL and suddenly everyone loves them again and are going to steamroll until a championship.

My 2 cents

1.Rex is a very good HC. Not my style and there is a potential that his style might not have a long shelf life with players, but to this point there isn't much you can say about his results and when you come down to it, results are all that matter.

2, I don't think putting a target on your team's back and writing checks your team has to cash is a good long term approach. for the short term the "us against the world" strategy works, but I don't think its a good long term strategy. However I do have to acknowledge that it has been very good at changing that loser mentality that has permeated the Jets for the last 40+ years

3. Short answer, IMHO right now he is better than most Pats fans think, but not as good as Jet fans perceive. Still given his experience and time in the league there both predictions have time to come true. He could end up as just another decent QB with limitations teams can exploit, or he might evolve into a great NFL QB. We shall see.

4. I'd like to think that the Pats youth, injuries and their own lack of execution that were the causes for the loss, but it was the Jets who made all the big plays. It was the Jets who executed more consistently. It was the Jets who had the better game plan. Every NFL game is a matter of "on any given Sunday" But that assume the Jets were an average team, when we both know that isn't the case.

The bottom line here is that as a Jet fan you have the high ground now. When you beat a team in a playoff game on the road, as a Pats fan there really isn't much you can say that doesn't sound like excuse making or whining. So for the moment, enjoy your moment in the sun. It is deserved. But for a lot of reason that is the fodder for another thread. Don't get smug. It might not last long. ;)

5, The Pats have NEVER had an elite pass rusher even in the years that they were among the top 5 in team sacks. Since 2001 the Pats have had just 2 players who have had double digit sacks. Vrabel in 2007 and TBC in 2009. You don't need to have that kind of guy IMHO. You need to create sacks and pressures as a TEAM defense, not individually.

That being said, I expect the Pats to add one or 2 OLBs in FA, Roth and Kiwanuka, are the guys most Pats fans would like to see. Neither are Demarcus Ware, but like I said, what we need is CONSISTENT pressure, not necessarily sacks

BTW - where exactly is the Jets pass rush going to come from this season. ;)

#1 yes he is a good coach,

#2 old news not ever worth talking about,

#3 Mark Sanchez is a good QB who so far is geting better each year, Joe Flacco sucks end of story

#4 games are won and lost up front and the jets won that battle on both sides of the ball

#5 they got Haynesworth so im happy

1) Even with all the bluster, ego, trash talking, and the high amount of hubris Do Pats fans actually respect the coaching ability & defensive mind of Rex Ryan? -[I think he is a very solid coach, but a comical joke that sucks toes and wants a " GOD DAMN SNACK

2) Another Rex Ryan question: The Superbowl guarantees he makes every year: Good or bad for the NFL and the Jets? -[It's GREAT I love it:)

3) Mark Sanchez seems to be a quarterback who plays between the range of poor and average during the regular season but then plays between good and very good during the playoffs. He is the opposite of Joe Flacco, who plays between the range of good - very good in the regular season and then plays poor in the post season. But this is just a Jets fan's opinion. Going into his third season, what is your frank opinion on Mark Sanchez and his future as an NFL quarterback? -[Sanchez is 0-2 in the BIGGEST games of his life

4) Was the 28-21 Jets win over the Patriots in the playoffs last season a case of 'the better team won' or was it more a case of 'any given Sunday?' [-any given, but we were out coached and played a poor game. Hernandez not healthy HURT by HIP. Hernandez TORCHED you guys

5) From the outside looking in The Patriots could do with a pass rusher, especially seeing how they were unable to get to Sanchez in the playoff game? Then they released Tully Banta-Cain, who to me was more of a scheme sack guy than a natural pass rusher. How do you feel about the Patriots not adding a proven a pass rusher yet? :)

The jETS DO NOT SCARE ME (my answers r within the quotes)

Haynesworth say's Hi Jest fan:)

Last edited:
To eifmp: what exactly is the real purpose of this thread? You start off by asking questions as if it is perfectly innocent in nature; that you are genuinely interested in learning more about what Pats fans think. But then as soon as somebody offers an opinion that does not coincide with yours, you jump all over that response as being wrong, wrong, wrong.

To me that tells me the initial premise of the thread, to inquire what fans of the Patriots thought had nothing to with the reason for starting this thread. It appears to me that you have already come to your own conclusions to those five questions, and have no desire whatsoever to consider any opinion that differs from the one that you have already formed.

So since you don't appear to want to genuinely consider responses to the questions you asked, my question in turn is this: what is the real reason this person started this thread? The only thing I can think of is that it was an attempt to get away with trolling by pretending to be something you're not (i.e., an inquisitive fan genuinely interested in what Pats fans thought). Or perhaps you started the thread with the hopes you would get an overly homerish response or two, and then you could run back to Jets Insider or Gang Green and start one of those predictable threads about "omg, I can't believe what fans of that other team are saying; they're so stooopid, lolz".

Lame, very lame.

Last edited:

Rex is essential for the Jets. He has made them relavent in New York. They have a very expensive stadium that needs to be paid for. He has also helped the NFL. The playoff game viewing last year was off the charts.

Rex is an outstanding defensive mind. His gameplan was the only legit way to beat the Patriots (outside of the Packers).

He also baited Welker and we had that foolish discipline.

I don't buy the pass rush thing. We had to sign two Dline guys for the playoffs. With Bodden, Warren, Haynesworth, Dowling we have addition by addition.

Any given Sunday refers to transitory vs consistent themes in football. The Jets gameplan was outstanding. Rex needs to be credited for valuing a secondary. However, the Steelers showed the next week how to counter and the drafting of two RB should provide the counter move.

1). He definitely is a good defensive mind, average at best as an offensive mind. Otherwise he's a bloviating fart machine.

2). This nonsense already has gotten old, on its way to being tuned out by everyone, including his players.

3). He's a decent young QB with a "good" future ahead of him. He never will be great or elite.

4). Any given Sunday, same as Pats' 45-3 win a few weeks earlier. I see these teams splitting the regular-season matchups going forward.

5). Say hello to Albert Haynesworth.

As a Patriots fan, I have to say that Jets give me nightmares :rolleyes:

But yes, Rexy is a great coach in the sense. Sanchez.... is just sanchez.

Last edited:
I got five questions for you:

1) Do you think Mark Sanchez is going to enjoy being Vince Wilfork's, Ty Warren's and Fat Albert Haynesworth's squeeze toy?

2) How weird is it to have a head coach who sniffs cleats late at night when everybody has gone home?

3) What the hell does your ELFMP moniker mean, anyway?

4) How did that rat snitch traitor ingrate Eric Mangini thing work out for you?

5) Why don't you get lost?

Last edited:
Do Pats fans actually respect the coaching ability & defensive mind of Rex Ryan? Yes, great defensive coach and great motivator. I don't personally care for all the bluster that comes with it but players like playing for him, that's all that matters.

The Superbowl guarantees he makes every year: Good or bad for the NFL and the Jets? For the NFL? I think good...it creates a talking point, it makes things a little more interesting/entertaining. For the Jets? I think it reflects poorly, it's ego that hasn't been backed up since he's been there and I think it rings hollow and meaningless at this point. Regardless, I find it entertaining, in that he's turned himself into a WWF-style villain to a degree.

Going into his third season, what is your frank opinion on Mark Sanchez and his future as an NFL quarterback? Decent QB who had a very good collection of receivers last year; good leader who has the respect of the locker room at a young age. Time will tell if he can take a step forward to be an above average / elite QB, I'm not a scout or talent evaluator so I won't venture a guess but he has the mentality and stones to handle the position, imo.

Was the 28-21 Jets win over the Patriots in the playoffs last season a case of 'the better team won' or was it more a case of 'any given Sunday?' The better team that day won, that's all that matters. Me, I think the Pats played a horrible, horrible game and the Jets defensive scheme was perfect. I don't think, had they replayed that game, the Pats would have lost, but they certainly lost that day so I've always said Ryan and co. deserve a ton of respect for how that game played out.

How do you feel about the Patriots not adding a proven a pass rusher yet?[/QUOTE] Haynesworth helps a TON in this respect, he'll require a second double-team (along with Wilfork) and that'll give the OLB's a better chance to get to the QB. That said I think their secondary will be much improved with Bodden back and the young guys improving. I think the defense has a chance (if Haynesworth is the 'good' AH; if Warren and Bodden are fully healthy, if Mayo and Spikes command the middle of the field the way they did at times last season) to be very, very good. It could also be average. Time will tell.

1) Yes, he is a great defensive mind.

2) I don't think they're good or bad.....just stupid.

3) He is an average QB at best...yes, he seems to become clutch in the playoffs but he needs to be consistent.

4) I believe that once you're in the playoffs it's "any given Sunday".

5) "Say hello to Albert Haynesworth" - Tunescribe

To eifmp: what exactly is the real purpose of this thread? You start off by asking questions as if it is perfectly innocent in nature; that you are genuinely interested in learning more about what Pats fans think. But then as soon as somebody offers an opinion that does not coincide with yours, you jump all over that response as being wrong, wrong, wrong.

To me that tells me the initial premise of the thread, to inquire what fans of the Patriots thought had nothing to with the reason for starting this thread. It appears to me that you have already come to your own conclusions to those five questions, and have no desire whatsoever to consider any opinion that differs from the one that you have already formed.

So since you don't appear to want to genuinely consider responses to the questions you asked, my question in turn is this: what is the real reason this person started this thread? The only thing I can think of is that it was an attempt to get away with trolling by pretending to be something you're not (i.e., an inquisitive fan genuinely interested in what Pats fans thought). Or perhaps you started the thread with the hopes you would get an overly homerish response or two, and then you could run back to Jets Insider or Gang Green and start one of those predictable threads about "omg, I can't believe what fans of that other team are saying; they're so stooopid, lolz".

Lame, very lame.

This is a fair question and assessment. Allow me to retort.

I asked the questions to get a Patriots fan's overall state of the Jets. I know there is hate and animosity for the Jets by Patriots fans but I expected a level of respect for the team, and yes I'll say it, even Mark Sanchez.

I think that some of the opinions Patriot fans had in 2009 about Sanchez and the Jets have stuck two years later even though he improved in his 2nd year. They might not have seen all the games, or they have a certain hatred that prevents them from fairly evaluating the players on the Jets, or maybe they are just being fair and that is their honest opinion.

I responded as such to comments that I didn't agree with, primarily about Mark Sanchez, because I want to make sure that they are taking the totality of everything he has accomplished into account. Maybe it's my fault for assuming that every person would look past their individual bias towards a team and be fair. Trust me, this is for my own edification. I am NOT running back to Jets forums, all indignant like, reporting what responses I get here.

But you when someone who: has a 94+ QB rating in the playoffs, is tied for the most road playoff wins in his 2nd season, has five 4th quarter comebacks, is being called 'maybe the worst starting quarterback in the league,' I have to respond. Simply because that doesn't add up to fair criticism.

Yeah, I know I'll get responses like "A JEST fan thought he would get fair an unbiased opinions from a Patriots forum? What an idiot!"...and maybe I deserve it. But you wanted to know why I retorted to previous posters and not you have your answer.

I see the Brad Smith saga in New Jersey is over. He is now a Bill. $15 million over 4 years.

This is a fair question and assessment. Allow me to retort.

I asked the questions to get a Patriots fan's overall state of the Jets. I know there is hate and animosity for the Jets by Patriots fans but I expected a level of respect for the team, and yes I'll say it, even Mark Sanchez.

I think that some of the opinions Patriot fans had in 2009 about Sanchez and the Jets have stuck two years later even though he improved in his 2nd year. They might not have seen all the games, or they have a certain hatred that prevents them from fairly evaluating the players on the Jets, or maybe they are just being fair and that is their honest opinion.

I responded as such to comments that I didn't agree with, primarily about Mark Sanchez, because I want to make sure that they are taking the totality of everything he has accomplished into account. Maybe it's my fault for assuming that every person would look past their individual bias towards a team and be fair. Trust me, this is for my own edification. I am NOT running back to Jets forums, all indignant like, reporting what responses I get here.

But you when someone who: has a 94+ QB rating in the playoffs, is tied for the most road playoff wins in his 2nd season, has five 4th quarter comebacks, is being called 'maybe the worst starting quarterback in the league,' I have to respond. Simply because that doesn't add up to fair criticism.

Yeah, I know I'll get responses like "A JEST fan thought he would get fair an unbiased opinions from a Patriots forum? What an idiot!"...and maybe I deserve it. But you wanted to know why I retorted to previous posters and not you have your answer.
Thank you for the response.

Next question: what would you expect to happen if the circumstances were identically reversed? Specifically, what kind of responses would you expect if a fan of the Patriots went to one of the Jets forums and asked five similar questions about the Pats to the forum members there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back