PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are NFL GMs as naive as the posters on this board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
None judged BB BEFORE SEEING WHAT HAPPENS, and none are overreacting and breaking the bank because of a few games either.

But you don't know this. You show no evidence to even try and establish this? :confused:

And as for the fans - of course they vacillate. Have you ever read a game thread? It really doesn't mean anything that fans are up and down on players.

Looking at some of the Nfl teams some of the gm's seem to be stupid.

I think that there are several GMs out there who could see Cassel as a viable bridge between the garbage they have this year and a rookie QB. And, I think that if they want him, they'll have to pay in the 5-8 million a year range.

If Cassel plays well the rest of the way and take the patriots deep into the playoffs. Then GMs around the league will want him. All GMs want QB that can take their team into the playoffs. Cassel did this against NFL defenses and not college defenses, so he has a step up on rookie QBs next year.

Iam guessing on draft day if a team missed drafing a QB they want, they might do a swap with the patriots and take cassel for their 1st round pick, and a 3rd. Then the patriots would deal their 1st pick for future picks and keep their newly acquired 1st round pick and trade down for more picks.

That both are extreme and overeaction. Both are also true, to an extent. None judged BB BEFORE SEEING WHAT HAPPENS, and none are overreacting and breaking the bank because of a few games either. Remember this is the same guy that FANS HERE said had no clue what he was doing in the pocket 2 weeks ago. The opinions on Cassel were and are in between those extremes.

Perhaps we should ask if NFL GMs are as judgemental and self-rghteous as some fans are as well! :D

Last edited:
Perhaps we should ask if NFL GMs are as judgemental and self-rghteous as some fans are as well! :D

My nominee for the post of the year.

If Cassel plays well the rest of the way and take the patriots deep into the playoffs. Then GMs around the league will want him. All GMs want QB that can take their team into the playoffs. Cassel did this against NFL defenses and not college defenses, so he has a step up on rookie QBs next year.

Iam guessing on draft day if a team missed drafing a QB they want, they might do a swap with the patriots and take cassel for their 1st round pick, and a 3rd. Then the patriots would deal their 1st pick for future picks and keep their newly acquired 1st round pick and trade down for more picks.

I'm thinking it might be just a little bit early to judge his playoff performance.

The opinions on Cassel were and are in between those extremes.

His play has been in extremes, so I don't buy your sanctimonious post.

You'd do better to comment on his play from the start of the season to now -not as if he is some absolute. But, in your defense, you were probably too focused on crapping on board members to start such a discussion.

Moderator, heal tyself.

There is at least one team who would pay $10 mil for Cassel, IMO, and they would probably sit him for one season. Don't forget, there is a strong possiblilty of an uncapped year on the near horizon. That one team would pay $5 mil to have him as a back-up and $5 mil to get him away from the Pats. Who? You guessed it---the Jets.

Does anyone really think that there are GMs out there who were laughing at BB for being stuck with Cassel a few weeks ago, and now see Cassel as the key to their future, willing to pay him $10mill+ a year?
Don't know about the laughing part, but I see Cassel getting $8+ mil a year if he keeps on at the rate of play he is now.

Is Cassel of starting QB quality or not? If he is, how many starting QBs have been signed for short money lately?

The Way We Hear It - NFL pro football rumors and insider news from Pro Football Weekly
Exit Brady, enter Cassel, whose brilliant effort in defeat against the Jets (30-of-51 passing for 400 yards and three TDs, to go with eight carries for 62 yards), sent his stock soaring in advance of the next free-agent market. The way we’re hearing it, anywhere from six to 10 teams are expected to seriously think about pursuing Cassel this March.

“Matt Cassel did not play a lot until this year, but you could still see all that he could do when he had opportunities, and he is finally getting a chance to show it,” a general manager on another team told PFW. “He’s going to command a premium on the open market. I can’t imagine the Patriots will be able to keep him.”

Mailbag

Ask Reiss: King of the Cassel - Boston.com

Those emails seemed to intensify a few weeks later after the Patriots’ 30-10 loss to the Chargers. One example:

“Do you think it is now time to pull the plug on Matt Cassel and give someone else a chance?”

That question was part of the mailbag published Oct. 14.

Now, here we are in mid-November and the tone has been completely reversed. It is remarkable to me.

All it takes is one team, and chances are he will find a suitor, although I’m not as convinced that the list of teams lining up is going to be as long as some prognosticators have predicted. The Patriots could potentially restrict Cassel with the franchise tag, and then trade him, but I think that is unlikely. The reason is the salary cap – that decision, until a trade is worked out, would restrict other moves.

quarterback is a tricky position to project because not every team needs them or is willing to pay for them. Furthermore, not every quarterback fits every system. So while it wouldn’t surprise me if Cassel lands a starting gig, I still think a lot of pieces need to fall in place, and I personally feel some reports that suggest he’ll be making $8-9 million per year next season are premature. Most often, you have to have two teams bidding against each other for that to happen. With that in mind, that’s why, even though I see it as a long shot, I wouldn’t definitively rule out his potential return to New England

We have gone from the consensus being that Cassel starting at QB was negligence by the HC to people posting how insulting it would be for the Patriots to offer Cassel $8mill to extend his contract one year.
It shocks and amazes me how every event causes such a drastic over-reaction by the consensus of the board, and I would assume the fan base of this team, and probably all others.
Does anyone really think that there are GMs out there who were laughing at BB for being stuck with Cassel a few weeks ago, and now see Cassel as the key to their future, willing to pay him $10mill+ a year?

Do I think Cassel is worth that much? No but thats irrelevant the only thing that matters is the free market. Quality QB's with quality starts in the NFL are a hot comodity and when one hits free agency you have to pay more than everyone else to get him, now does that mean they are worth that much in comparison to say Brady or Manning? absolutely not, its just a matter of capitalism and free market competition.

Very well, dualing punditry, speculative columns at twenty paces sir!
star-wars-smiley-5472.gif

But you don't know this. You show no evidence to even try and establish this? :confused:

And as for the fans - of course they vacillate. Have you ever read a game thread? It really doesn't mean anything that fans are up and down on players.

No, doesnt mean anything, it is only the point of this thread.

I dont think anyone knew how good or bad MC was. He has never played. All we have seen is MC with 2nd stringers for the most part. I'm sure all the GMs saw he had the physical tools, but thats about all

I didnt realize that pointing out the fact that the general opinion of Cassel has done a 180 in about 3 weeks was judgmental and self-righteous. I thought I was just pointing out that while people trashing him were overreacting negatively and too soon, people now singing his praises are doing the exact same thing in a postive direction.
Maybe you can explain how that qualifies me as judging anyone or anything. (Last I check noticing overreaction wasn't jugmental) or how it could in anyway be self-righteous unless you think that anyone who identifies a trait among a fan base is only doing so for some typeof selfish reason????????????????
I never expected pointing out that the criticism of Cassel has been too harsh and the praise too effusive could be controversial.

I never expected pointing out that the criticism of Cassel has been too harsh and the praise too effusive could be controversial.

In reality, it's rather matter of fact.

I didnt realize that pointing out the fact that the general opinion of Cassel has done a 180 in about 3 weeks was judgmental and self-righteous. I thought I was just pointing out that while people trashing him were overreacting negatively and too soon, people now singing his praises are doing the exact same thing in a postive direction.
Maybe you can explain how that qualifies me as judging anyone or anything. (Last I check noticing overreaction wasn't jugmental) or how it could in anyway be self-righteous unless you think that anyone who identifies a trait among a fan base is only doing so for some typeof selfish reason????????????????

The title gets people's panties in a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back