PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are NFL GMs as naive as the posters on this board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
We have gone from the consensus being that Cassel starting at QB was negligence by the HC to people posting how insulting it would be for the Patriots to offer Cassel $8mill to extend his contract one year.
It shocks and amazes me how every event causes such a drastic over-reaction by the consensus of the board, and I would assume the fan base of this team, and probably all others.
Does anyone really think that there are GMs out there who were laughing at BB for being stuck with Cassel a few weeks ago, and now see Cassel as the key to their future, willing to pay him $10mill+ a year?

i personally wish we talked more about the season in progress than what is going to happen 6 months down the line. We are not out of the race yet ..
The cassel contract has been the biggest debate since the jet game.

We have gone from the consensus being that Cassel starting at QB was negligence by the HC to people posting how insulting it would be for the Patriots to offer Cassel $8mill to extend his contract one year.
It shocks and amazes me how every event causes such a drastic over-reaction by the consensus of the board, and I would assume the fan base of this team, and probably all others.
Does anyone really think that there are GMs out there who were laughing at BB for being stuck with Cassel a few weeks ago, and now see Cassel as the key to their future, willing to pay him $10mill+ a year?

I am missing your point well other than people on here overreact. Are you saying no GM thought BB made a bad choice in Cassell or are you saying no GM is going to spend big money on Cassell in the offseason?

I prefer your football analytical posts versus your Judge Judy-like scoldings, deserved or not.

Things change when a guy plays and does well. It makes no sense to make a judgement on a player after a few bad preseason games then refuse to change that judgement after 10 regular season games.

Things change when a guy plays and does well. It makes no sense to make a judgement on a player after a few bad preseason games then refuse to change that judgement after 10 regular season games.

Most changed their minds after 1 game - the Jets game.

Most changed their minds after 1 game - the Jets game.
Before I expect him to be Tagged and Traded he needs to play like he has through the winter and in games as the pressure builds. As of this moment he has shown himself, IMO, to be considered someone's solution at QB. However there's 6, and hopefully more, games to go.

If Cassel plays at the same level he has the last few weeks, absolutely a GM will offer him a huge contract. In fact, multiple GMs will. In case you haven't noticed, teams trotted out the following QBs to start the 2008 season:

JT O'Sullivan
Tavaris Jackson
Brodie Croyle
Kyle Orton
Marc Bulger
Derek Anderson
Trent Edwards
Chad Pennington
Troy Smith (or they would of, had he not had his tonsils removed ...)
Jon Kitna
Aaron Rodgers
Jeff Garcia

And these are pre-injury players who teams hitched their wagon to to start the season. Yes, some of them worked out (Orton, Edwards, Pennington, Rodgers, Garcia kind-of) but all of these were huge question marks at the start of the season and speaks to the serious lack of QB talent in the NFL.

Heck, one guy on this list (Derek Anderson) had one-half a good year, and his own team signed him to a huge extension at the end of the year after just drafting a wildly popular QB in the first round. And now they benched him in favor of the young guy and have a ton of money tied up in the QB spot!

So yes, a GM will roll the dice and pay Cassel big money and/or also pay franchise compensation.

So yes, a GM will roll the dice and pay Cassel big money and/or also pay franchise compensation.

Just to be clear--I don't think anyone will fork over two 1sts for Cassel. I think that if they franchise Cassel, they'll end up trading him the way the LOLphins traded Welker.

Just to be clear--I don't think anyone will fork over two 1sts for Cassel. I think that if they franchise Cassel, they'll end up trading him the way the LOLphins traded Welker.

Thanks for clarifying; that's what I meant to indicate. Obv. no one is forking over a 1st & 3rd. (Though allegedly the Browns had offers that high for Anderson but opted to keep him. Idiots.)

Way to over-simplify to no purpose, OP.

It doesn't matter whether GMs change their minds about Cassel - we'll never really know in a meaningful way anyway. Comparing GMs to posters on this board doesn't really yield any insight of interest either, except maybe to point out that many GMs really don't know what they're doing and sign/draft players out of fear or to mollify a fan base so they keep their jobs. But you didn't do that.

Way to over-simplify to no purpose, OP.

It doesn't matter whether GMs change their minds about Cassel - we'll never really know in a meaningful way anyway. Comparing GMs to posters on this board doesn't really yield any insight of interest either, except maybe to point out that many GMs really don't know what they're doing and sign/draft players out of fear or to mollify a fan base so they keep their jobs. But you didn't do that.

No kidding, GM's, HC's, and owners seperately or in conjunction do the darndest things when their jobs or media profile or hold on a fan base are threatened...with few exceptions of which we are fortunately one. :D

I think that there are several GMs out there who could see Cassel as a viable bridge between the garbage they have this year and a rookie QB. And, I think that if they want him, they'll have to pay in the 5-8 million a year range.

All I have to say is too bad Matt Millen got fired. He would probably work out a backdoor deal to sent two #1s to the Pats before the Pats even had to decide to franchise Cassel.

Every time there is a QB like Cassel people start dredging up similiar types of players who were great one year (or several really good games), sign a big contract with another team, and then fail miserably (Scott Mitchell, Rob Johnson, etc.). The thing is the potential that this guy could be the next Brett Favre (a guy who is stuck behind an established starter only get traded to another team and becomes a HOFer) no matter how remote it is, is too great for many GMs. They have dreams of becoming the next Ron Wolf.

I think there will be someone who will pay Cassel big money. It may not be $10 million a year, but it could be $8-9. With the turnover in the NFL at the Head Coaching and front office positions, it is better for them to gamble on a guy like Cassel than a first rounder since first round QBs are the worst bet in the draft.

two words, DANGELO HALL..

Fact is each year you have owners pushing their Front Office to make the big signing.. We see it every year.. This isn't baseball where teams compete for a trade.. The NFL is built around the QB (proof is we have 100's of rules on how not to hit the QB) and when a young one is available, teams drool..

Cassel is definitely a product of the system. You can't deny.. His next team with his next coach will probably sell the idea tot he fans they will run the same offense.. And this will enable Cassel to succeed..

I'd be shocked if we dont' get compensation for him..

two words, DANGELO HALL..

Fact is each year you have owners pushing their Front Office to make the big signing.. We see it every year.. This isn't baseball where teams compete for a trade.. The NFL is built around the QB (proof is we have 100's of rules on how not to hit the QB) and when a young one is available, teams drool..

Cassel is definitely a product of the system. You can't deny.. His next team with his next coach will probably sell the idea tot he fans they will run the same offense.. And this will enable Cassel to succeed..

I'd be shocked if we dont' get compensation for him..

D'Angelo Hall was the eighth overall pick.

What does that have to do with anything?

I'm confused as to your point? Are you trying to insult GMs? Or just the fans on this board?

And is there a relevant football point to make - or are we just trying to demonstrate how fickle or unintelligent fans are?

And which GMs out there were laughing at BB? I think I missed that.

And as far as $10 million a season - is that what everyone agrees the market rate for a competent QB is these days? If it is, and if there's limited QBs available, I would think Cassel will get what the market allows. But I don't expect it will be $10 million a season - perhaps in excess of $10 million in a signing bonus certainly, but not $10 million a season.

Last edited:
I am missing your point well other than people on here overreact. Are you saying no GM thought BB made a bad choice in Cassell or are you saying no GM is going to spend big money on Cassell in the offseason?

That both are extreme and overeaction. Both are also true, to an extent. None judged BB BEFORE SEEING WHAT HAPPENS, and none are overreacting and breaking the bank because of a few games either. Remember this is the same guy that FANS HERE said had no clue what he was doing in the pocket 2 weeks ago. The opinions on Cassel were and are in between those extremes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes