Welcome to PatsFans.com

Are fans overrating Vernon Gholston?

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by VJCPatriot, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -4

First of all, him and most of the Ohio State defense looked like they were in a disappearing act, rather than showing why they should be top picks in 2008.

Second of all, according to Gholston's own report, the committee he consulted, projected him as a second round pick.

"It's time to take care of my family. It's time to let my teammates shine," Gholston said. "They say I'm a second-rounder. But what I bring is versatility. At 265 pounds I can add or lose weight. I can be a rush end and a linebacker. One thing I've never had a problem doing is beating blockers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3192411

Draftking.com doesn't even have Gholston going until the 13th pick in their mock draft.

http://www.draftking.com/nfl/2008/mockdraft.shtml

Gholston seems to be a talented pass rusher, but his numbers aren't as good as some of the top rushers in past drafts. Is it too early to take Gholston at #7?

My take so far is that Gholston is flying a little bit under the radar much like Ty Warren was the year he came out.
    The Pats should be able to trade down in the 10-12 range and still pick him up if they do want him.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  2. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't know if you remember this, but not to long ago I posted (paraphrasing) "And the annual overrating of OSU players continues". This was prior to the National Championship game, and my feelings haven't changed. While Gholston could end up being a very good player, I think he's to raw to spend the 7th overall pick on, and I need to see more of his coverage ability before saying he could be an every down 3-4 OLB. Right now I'm inclined to think he's more of a 4-3 rush end, but my evaluation isn't complete...
  3. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

It's too early to say. We'll know more after workouts. At this time in 2005 Demarcus Ware was a 3rd rdr and Merriman was an early 2nd rdr; at this time in 2006 Wimbley was a 2nd rdr. If Gholston works out well, and proves he has speed and agility etc, he will shoot up to a definite top 20 pick. Pass rushers are the most valuable commodity in the NFL next to an elite QB. Even turds like Erasmus James, coming off a mediocre year and a hip injury, went top 20, as did Udeze, a slow-poke. The combine is critical for D. Harvey and Gholston.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  4. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 8 / -1

I'm almost hoping Dallas falls in love with K.Phillips and decides they need a S to help out their def. backfield. Hamlin is a UFA. Roy Williams couldn't cover me. I'd give em 7 for their 2 firsts. Unless we think Gholston is a premier pass-rusher. Maybe, he is. I know i'd love to add a Ware/Merriman type of olb to our defense. Will make it a lot easier for db's if we improve pass rush.
  5. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -4

I am also concerned about the level of competition that Gholston and the Buckeyes faced. They played a pretty weak schedule for an 11-1 team, and when they got to the National Championship game they didn't look like they even belonged there. I can't blame Gholston alone for the loss, but he certainly didn't distinguish himself that day.

I know that Gholston looks like a beast physically, but looks don't make the football player. I remember that a lot of people were convinced that Greg Jones would be an absolute stud after seeing pictures of his ripped physique at the Combine weigh ins. However to date, Greg Jones has been a marginal player. He has certainly been overshadowed by the emergence of recent Jags 2nd round pick Maurice Drew-Jones.

Greg Jones career to date
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=5580
    2nd round pick in 2004
    http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftteam.htm?tm=JAC&lg=NFL

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  6. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 1 / -4

#87 Jersey

I agree can't see wasting the 7th overall selection on a guy who carries a maginal First Round grade. Vernon Gholston could be one of those players who look like Tarzan and plays like Jane.
  7. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I'll judge Gholston on two years of games in which I've seen him play instead of a snap judgement in the LSU game, in which I thought he was probably the best player on the defense. He's a player. Is he worth the #7 pick in the draft? Not for most teams in most years. For the Patriots in 2008, he could be. I'd rather see him go about #12, though.
  8. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +124 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

There's only two players in the first round that peak my interest as LB's in this draft. Gholston and Long. Other than them I'd rather take a CB or trade the pick altogether.
  9. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

gholston does intrigue me, but what bothers me about him is he seems to be a bit of a project that high in the draft
  10. BBelichicken

BBelichicken Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Call me one of the fans overrating Gholston but I think he would look great at OLB in the 3-4. Hes got great pass rushing ability which would allow him to contribute immediately in pass rush situations. Great size 6'4 265, and last year broke Mike Vrabel's single season sack record at OSU.
  11. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My thoughts exactly. Seems like a lot of money to spend on a project, but he could turn into a really good LB. Like AD.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.