PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are extensions likely this year for Seymour and Branch ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrellbee

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
arrellbee said:
However, I am pretty doubtful that an extension will done soon for either Seymour or Deion. They (and/or their agents) are going to absolutely be looking for deals in terms of this years funny money. The Patriots are simply not going to do deals on those terms even if they have $20M to spend IMHO. If Seymour is at all smart, he should look in a crystal ball and not be very happy about what next year may look like with a lot less free agent money around. Consequently, if he's smart, he (and Branch) should probably take reasonable deals in terms of probable money next year and get the money now without the risk of career ending injury this year (maybe they should chat with Ty Law). If the Patriots were to bend a little and compromise because they do have dollars available this year, it seems like it would be done months from now after they have had a chance to see if there are other free agents that they want to spend money on this year.
mgteich said:
Seymour has his needs and wants.
I don't think he wants the most money possible. But he does want to be the highest paid DL in the league. Personally, I have no problem with that. Having a DL count $8M against the cap is fine. Colvin is almost $6M.

The bonus can be split between 2006 and 2007.
Apologies mgteich - I didn't want to distract from the excellent topic posed by Patriots-80 so I pulled your post here to a new thread.

This is NOT to be argumentive, mgteich. I respect and enjoy your posts. But just in terms of simple curiosity and maybe some perspective for me -

"Wants" I can certainly understand very well - and even honestly in terms of perceived fairness and worth and respect. I'm not sure about 'needs'. After you pass $10M, I'm not sure how much 'need' there is. ?

You note that he may not want the most money possible. How does that fit with wanting to be the highest paid DL ? And suppose it turns out that he wants - and somebody will pay - millions more than even the currently highest DL contract ?

It seems, to me also, that Seymour is certainly one of the most deserving players I can think of to get the 'highest' contract ever given for a DL. I have real doubts whether the Patriots would ever do such a contract - I am certainly prepared to be dead wrong about that, since I have been so surprised so many times by what Belichick and Pioli do different than they have done before or what people expect. I have to wonder if they will ever do a contract like Colvin's again. Any contract like that is such a risk in the NFL and such a dead weight if a player can't play out the contract. I have to admit to being VERY surprised also at the contract they gave Dillon.

I'd be interested in whatever thoughts folks have.

I don't think so after seeing how deep the pockets were in this years free agency feeding frenzy for players of lower ability then both Seymour and Branch. Their agents will tell them to wait until next year for a huge payday. (Agents have to feed their families too!)

No way the Pats will come up with a contract that'll be big enough to keep them both off the market without killing the franchise finances. I bet BB and Pioili almost had coronaries when they saw how high the salaries were this year for free agents. I see franchise tags in the future unless they pull money out of their butts somehow without giving the team a mortal wound.

Not trying to be a pessimist, but I'm, unfortunately, just being a realist after seeing the money thrown around for some mediocre talent. They'll be throwing packed armored trucks of cash at these guys next year! :eek:

I have seen next year's salary cap estimated at $109M or an increase of only about $7M. Considering that a very large number of these funny money contracts this year increase significantly in salary cap hit in 2007 over 2006, it really seems like we can expect a dramatically reduced amount of free agent money available next year. And just possibly, a significant number of players in the last year or so of contracts signed years ago with large backloaded years that will be released and also hitting the market along with unrestricted free agents. There could be a lot of players and relatively little money. If so, it would be an interesting hunting year for the Patriots. I sure wouldn't want to be a free agent next year.

I would like to see these two locked up as soon as possible.

That being said, GMs are currently spending like drunken sailors. That's driving up the market price of all marquis players.

I think there's going to be a hangover next year when the bills become due and GMs have a better sense of the new CBA market dynamics.

That might cause a correction in the market.

Its always a gamble for both the players and the team - but all parties likely have some numbers in their head of what is "fair and reasonable". If they are not lightyears apart extensions can get done sooner rather than later.

I dont think they have an option but to sign seymor to a long term contract

I think that Seymour and his agent are waiting to see what John Abraham (the best DL left in free agency) gets before they will agree to a deal. IIRC, Kearse's 2004 deal is the best one ever given to a DL in terms of new money given to the player over the 1st 3 years of the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back