PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are all colts fans this delusional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a big difference between "choosing not to spend your money unwisely" and "having no money to spend". The two appear to have gotten confused here.

A Freeney extension will save the Colts a few million dollars under this year's cap. Cutting Simon could save $4M. There will be room under the cap later in the offseason. So the Colts could have kept one or two of these players if they wanted to.

Yes, I do. Call me old-fashioned but the results more or less speak for themselves.

Fair enough, nonetheless I still think there's a good chance we were a better team than the Colts just as there's a good chance the Chargers were a better team than us when we beat them. In both cases, it didn't matter, as it often doesn't matter who is better on paper.

But strictly in terms of looking torward '07, I'd hardly say that we have to play catch up to the Colts.

I hate to nitpick, but if Keiaho wasn't good enough last year to unseat June while the defense was terrible, what makes you think he's going to be a huge upgrade this year? They need a lot of work on that defense, and putting in the second stringers isn't exactly a sure-fire plan.

B/C he was a rookie and they wanted to stick with a guy who'd been in the system for 4 years rather than one. Not to mention, you don't want to demote a guy who still at least is a very good pass coverage LB. And as I've explained, Dungy rarely if ever demotes players in season. That's just his philosophy, and one that I don't particularly agree with.

Fair enough, nonetheless I still think there's a good chance we were a better team than the Colts just as there's a good chance the Chargers were a better team than us when we beat them. In both cases, it didn't matter, as it often doesn't matter who is better on paper.

Peter King puts it nicely in a piece in SI:

"At the end of last season the Colts, Patriots and Chargers were 1A, 1B and 1C in the conference - the Pats just as easily could have lost the divisional playoff game in San Diego or won the conference title showdown at Indy."

The Colts were 1A, and when I suggest we need to play catch-up, that means next season we need to be 1A, not 1B.

They aren't going anywhere especially in their weak sister division.

Calling the AFC South weak sisters is an insult...to weak sisters.

The dolts are the least-worthy champions in the 41-year history of the SB, followed closely by the 2000 ravens and the 1997-98 salary-cap-cheating donkeys.

Calling the AFC South weak sisters is an insult...to weak sisters.

The dolts are the least-worthy champions in the 41-year history of the SB, followed closely by the 2000 ravens and the 1997-98 salary-cap-cheating donkeys.

The Jags are a good team and the Titans are about to be again. The Texans are one Reggie Bush pick away from be a very competative team.

Saying the Colts are the least worthy sounds a bit like sour grapes. I'm just wondering, how many of the previous 40 seasons did you watch to deem how worthy those teams were? Not to mention that in the early years of the Super Bowl, there wasn't a whole lot of competaive equallity. The only thing that would have made the Colts' playoff path tougher would have been throughing in San Diego too. Having to play LJ with the worst rushing D in the league, going to Baltimore, and playing the Pats would seem to be a very worthy playoff run. And then to win the Super Bowl in conditions that most would call very favorable to the Bears and not to the "soft dome team" is an accomplishment as well. What more do you want?

Well I can agree that as of the end of the playoff game last year the Colts were the better team. They did beat us and making excuses for it makes no sense. Doesn't matter if we had injuries or not, you have to adjust. it is one of the things that has made the Patriots teams so good lately. They can adjust to all the injuries and still win Superbowls.

As far as the new season goes the patriots seem to have pinpointed all of their weaknesses and addressed them very well to this point. Still need some secondary tweaks but they will probably be addressed in the Draft with at least one of the 1st rounders.

As of this point in time the Colts better nail the draft because they have no second rounder and draft last in the 3rd round. Of course there is still time to pick up a player or two. But with the cap raising so much this year there might not be very many June cap casualties.

As far as the Pats fans here being called obsessed by an Indystar poster... well that is about the funniest thing I have ever read. If anybody has seen the Indystar forums before they will normally see 5 to 10 threads on the main page about the Patriots. Most of them are started by Colts fans. Don't know if that is the case now I left that board a few months ago because there were to many threads talking about man boobs etc.

A question for any Colts fan that might be reading this. Many of the Colts fans have repeatedly said the Patriots organization is classless, has no class, terrible people, etc. What do you guys think about your own club cutting people that have been injured (like Reagor) or have off the field issues that they need professional help with (like Simon)? I am not talking about people that have been arrested or are breaking the law. They deserve to get cut.

A question for any Colts fan that might be reading this. Many of the Colts fans have repeatedly said the Patriots organization is classless, has no class, terrible people, etc. What do you guys think about your own club cutting people that have been injured (like Reagor) or have off the field issues that they need professional help with (like Simon)? I am not talking about people that have been arrested or are breaking the law. They deserve to get cut.

I've never said any of those things about the Pats, but the Colts moves are just part of the NFL. It's a tough business.

Hahah, you got it. I take this message board that serious :rolleyes:

I would have actually defended you, danny88, if you made valid points.

But workhorse has been right on most counts, and you haven't been able to retort it with anything worthwhile reading.

If you had presented something with something better than "hahaha colts suck" (nevermind the, uh, "grammer" problems) I would jump in and argue/debate too. But that post was along the lines of "would you like a little fact with your flame?"

Just trying to help you out.

The Colts were 1A, and when I suggest we need to play catch-up, that means next season we need to be 1A, not 1B.

I can live with putting it that way...the homer in me would rather say the Colts, Pats and Chargers were all 1, and the Pats have made huge strides via FAs, where the others have not.

I am not so sure either of the last two Indy wins over NE qualifies as having "beat them convincingly".

Fact is the two teams were about as equal as you can get this past January. Since then, the Patriots have gotten better while the Colts have mostly stayed the same. That isn't an insult to Indy, that's just the way it is.

We still have the draft ahead of us and there are always injuries to be concerned about, but right now I think NE has passed over Indy.

Nobody passes over Indy until atleast week 1 of the 2007 season is played my friend.

Seems like as good a place as any to put my thoughts on Indy/NE:

I don't think that the November game was as close as many Pats fans make it out to be. Adam missed one more FG than Gost, and Indy seemed to be in control of that game the entire time. Brady and the WRs were awful so when Indy adjusted to stop the run, NE's counter to the pass failed miserably. I believed that NE would pull it out when AV left the door open at the end, but it was mostly because of being a homer. The game itself should not have led me to think that.

Indy most certainly was the better team in the AFCCG. But what is lost on many fans (not just Indy fans, but all those praying for NE to collapse) is the fact that NE had numerous oppurtunities to put that game away long before the end despite losing players at an alarming rate and some shoddy officiating. Indy won enough of those critical plays to give themselves a chance and, to their credit, they pulled out a terrific win.

Make no mistake, however, had Indy been the victim of all the in game injuries and a couple incorrect PI calls, NE would have won that game by 14+ points. I recognize that Indy had season long health issues themselves, and that is why I only count guys lost duing the game. But when your passing offense is patchwork as it is, losing the top two most productive players (Dillon and Faulk) was a critical part of Indy's comeback. Again, health opened the door, but Indy still had to storm through it. They deserve much credit for that.

Indy's SB championship actually reminds me a little of NE's 2001 run. NE faced much better teams, but they still needed to get some help. Oakland's offense was slowed down with some help by the snow. Pitt (even though Burress/Ward/Slash all had great seasons) was largely one-dimensional and I think we can all agree that StL played right into NE's hands. NE had some clear warts that the SB helped mask, but were exposed quickly the following year. I truly believe that Indy will have a similar fate next season. They will be better because the 2002 Pats team was not very good, but Indy's 2006 playoff performance would be good for a first round exit 9 out of 10 years. That is were I think they will have issues, not the regular season.

I think that the two Indy games are the reason that NE was so active on the WR market. Both games featured running games that seemed capable of being dominant, but were proven easily neutralized due to the lack of passing threats. NE loves the cat and mouse game of lining up in different formation and attacking in certain ways until they get matchups that work in their favor. Last year, particularly in those two games, NE was incapable of really taking advantage when teams gave them passing opportunities.

I do find it humorous that some Indy fans are passing off their team's lack of FA signings as if it were a sign of strength. Considering that, until the cap was bumped up last season, Indy was in serious straits (even having a couple reworkings declined by the league), this is not anything all that new. It is not a positive attribute to not be able to be a player in one of the primary team developing manners. There is no way that anyone could tell me with a straight face that Indy wouldn't have taken on just about any of NE's FA contracts.

I have more, but this is going on long enough. I will be shocked if anyone actually reads this. Long story short (too late :p ) Indy will be a very good team next year. Their offense will be dangerous as long as Manning and Harrison are going strong. But they will *need* to pull 4-5 solid immediate starters from the draft or else many will be surprised at how easily they are bounced from the playoffs. NE is a prime example of how much a team can be affected by a single offseason.

Last edited:
I can live with putting it that way...the homer in me would rather say the Colts, Pats and Chargers were all 1, and the Pats have made huge strides via FAs, where the others have not.

But as we always say in March; if championships were won in the Spring, we'd hand the Lombardi Trophy over to Dan Snyder now. Strides in free agency need proving in October.

But as we always say in March; if championships were won in the Spring, we'd hand the Lombardi Trophy over to Dan Snyder now. Strides in free agency need proving in October.

I completely agree with this.

That said, where NE *does* have a leg up is that every player they have signed fits precisely into a well defined need, and at good value. Washington last year signed two guys for big money that ended up being bit players for them in Archuletta and Randel El.

By comparison, you can go right down the checklist with NE's:

Deep threat? (Stallworth) Check
Slot WR to take over for Troy? (Welker) Check
Blocking TE? (Brady) Check
RB who can back up Maroney's carrier skills and Faulk's 3rd down skills? (Morris) Check

The only guy that doesn't fit snugly into the gaps in NE's puzzle (speaking in *roles* I realize that the true fit is TBD) is Washington, but he seems to be one of the fliers that they take every year.

Last edited:
Seems like as good a place as any to put my thoughts on Indy/NE:

I don't think that the November game was as close as many Pats fans make it out to be. Adam missed one more FG than Gost, and Indy seemed to be in control of that game the entire time. Brady and the WRs were awful so when Indy adjusted to stop the run, NE's counter to the pass failed miserably. I believed that NE would pull it out when AV left the door open at the end, but it was mostly because of being a homer. The game itself should not have led me to think that.

Indy most certainly was the better team in the AFCCG. But what is lost on many fans (not just Indy fans, but all those praying for NE to collapse) is the fact that NE had numerous oppurtunities to put that game away long before the end despite losing players at an alarming rate and some shoddy officiating. Indy won enough of those critical plays to give themselves a chance and, to their credit, they pulled out a terrific win.

Make no mistake, however, had Indy been the victim of all the in game injuries and a couple incorrect PI calls, NE would have won that game by 14+ points. I recognize that Indy had season long health issues themselves, and that is why I only count guys lost duing the game. But when your passing offense is patchwork as it is, losing the top two most productive players (Dillon and Faulk) was a critical part of Indy's comeback. Again, health opened the door, but Indy still had to storm through it. They deserve much credit for that.

Indy's SB championship actually reminds me a little of NE's 2001 run. NE faced much better teams, but they still needed to get some help. Oakland's offense was slowed down with some help by the snow. Pitt (even though Burress/Ward/Slash all had great seasons) was largely one-dimensional and I think we can all agree that StL played right into NE's hands. NE had some clear warts that the SB helped mask, but were exposed quickly the following year. I truly believe that Indy will have a similar fate next season. They will be better because the 2002 Pats team was not very good, but Indy's 2006 playoff performance would be good for a first round exit 9 out of 10 years. That is were I think they will have issues, not the regular season.

I think that the two Indy games are the reason that NE was so active on the WR market. Both games featured running games that seemed capable of being dominant, but were proven easily neutralized due to the lack of passing threats. NE loves the cat and mouse game of lining up in different formation and attacking in certain ways until they get matchups that work in their favor. Last year, particularly in those two games, NE was incapable of really taking advantage when teams gave them passing opportunities.

I do find it humorous that some Indy fans are passing off their team's lack of FA signings as if it were a sign of strength. Considering that, until the cap was bumped up last season, Indy was in serious straits (even having a couple reworkings declined by the league), this is not anything all that new. It is not a positive attribute to not be able to be a player in one of the primary team developing manners. There is no way that anyone could tell me with a straight face that Indy wouldn't have taken on just about any of NE's FA contracts.

I have more, but this is going on long enough. I will be shocked if anyone actually reads this. Long story short (too late :p ) Indy will be a very good team next year. Their offense will be dangerous as long as Manning and Harrison are going strong. But they will *need* to pull 4-5 solid immediate starters from the draft or else many will be surprised at how easily they are bounced from the playoffs. NE is a prime example of how much a team can be affected by a single offseason.

Well done,oswlek......I wish you had kept going.
p.s.for all who think we overpaid for Welker.....
If the Colts had done the same to replace Stokely,
what would we have thought?

(I believe the optimive phrase is:YIKES!)

I completely agree with this.

That said, where NE *does* have a leg up is that every player they have signed fits precisely into a well defined need, and at good value. Washington last year signed two guys for big money that ended up being bit players for them in Archuletta and Randel El.

By comparison, you can go right down the checklist with NE's:

Deep threat? (Stallworth) Check
Slot WR to take over for Troy? (Welker) Check
Blocking TE? (Brady) Check
RB who can back up Maroney's carrier skills and Faulk's 3rd down skills? (Morris) Check

The only guy that doesn't fit snugly into the gaps in NE's puzzle (speaking in *roles* I realize that the true fit is TBD) is Washington, but he seems to be one of the fliers that they take every year.

And i agree with that. I am psyched as anyone on this board about the way our roster looks right now. It has been an incredibly impressive, focused effort by BB and SP, and it could hardly have been better.

But filled the needs or not, I still want to see the pieces fit together in September before I move us up to 1A.

As far as the Pats fans here being called obsessed by an Indystar poster... well that is about the funniest thing I have ever read. If anybody has seen the Indystar forums before they will normally see 5 to 10 threads on the main page about the Patriots. Most of them are started by Colts fans. Don't know if that is the case now I left that board a few months ago because there were to many threads talking about man boobs etc.

It was a bit of a joke. The day after a Pats fan started a thread about Colts fans being obsessed with the Pats, Colts threads started popping up all over the place again.

Last edited:
It was a bit of a joke. The day after a Pats fan started a thread about Colts fans being obsessed with the Pats, Colts threads started popping up all over the place again.

We are living through Indy's past nightmares. :enranged: :enranged: :violent:

Colts are the best right now. They have beat the Pats convincingly 3 out of the last 3. I have nothing else to say. They have our number. Peyton in the best QB in the NFL. Harriosn is the best WR as well. Sanders is the best run stuffing safety in the NFL and made a huge difference in turning around the defense. The rookie RB is looking to be better than player they let go.

The Pats have their work cut out for them.

Though I agree they are the champs and they draft very well, that has nothing to do with the free agent market.

They are bleeding internally and will have to patch like hell for a year or two.

Nothing surprising, we've been in the same boat with our DBs and LBs, though the degree and emphasis are different.

They did an unbelievable job coaching and playing defense down the stretch to hide weaknesses. Near Belichickean, if I might coin a phrase.

Still, you can't make chicken salad out of you know what and this writer is seriously wading in a river in Egypt.

When Klecko is your big DL signing, those patches are starting to fray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes