Welcome to PatsFans.com

Arab states take dim view of 'adventurism' by Hizbullah

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Jul 14, 2006.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +316 / 9 / -13

Source:http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=1&categ_id=2&article_id=73992

[/quote]
    US allies Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Jordan indirectly accused Hizbullah on Friday of harming Arab interests but also condemned the Israeli assault on Lebanon The remarks came amid fears of a wider regional conflict after President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad boasted Friday that Israel was not powerful enough to take on Iran and warned the Jewish state not to attack regional ally Syria.

While not naming Hizbullah, Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and Jordan's King Abdul-lah II warned of the risk of "the region being dragged into 'adventurism' that does not serve Arab interests," according to a joint statement published by Amman's official Petra news agency after the two met in Cairo.

Similar language was used earlier by Saudi Arabia, which indirectly accused Hizbullah of adventurism in provoking Israel's onslaught on Lebanon and putting all Arab nations at risk.

"It is necessary to make a distinction between legitimate resistance [to occupation] and irresponsible adventurism adopted by certain elements within the state," an official Saudi source told the Saud Press Agency late Thursday. "These elements ... risk putting in danger all the Arab countries and their achievements before these countries have said a word," the source added.

[/quote]

Sounds if Hizbullah may have jumped the shark. I wonder if we are twisting arms behind the scenes. IMO this is directed at Iran. Hizbullah are just their gofers.

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Maybe it's me, but I don't put a lot of stock into the reliability or sincerity of anything that any governmrnt says from any country west of India, east of the Atlantic Ocean, North of South Africa and south for Russia, Spain and Italy. Is that about right?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  3. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +316 / 9 / -13

I certainly don't attribute any sincerity to their remarks, however this is the first time I recall any Arab goverment denouncing any act by Hezbullah or Hamas.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +398 / 15 / -14

It just goes to show you how much more effective people like Carter, Clinton, and Bush I were in protecting American interests. While Bush II has turned a huge part of the Arab world against us, fortunately, prior to Bush we had already built effective working relationships for Jordan, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia.

5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +316 / 9 / -13

Carter effictive foreign policy????

OK if you say so.

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +398 / 15 / -14

Certainly with regard to moving the peace process forward. Also, what aspect of Carter's foreign policy didn't you like? His emphasis on human rights?

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +316 / 9 / -13

Well Carter help give us the Mullahs in Iran, I didn't think that was too helpful do you?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +398 / 15 / -14

Actually, Carter allowed Iran to find its own way, but was facilitated by the fact that the Shah was very ill. Iran did become a democracy, and only became more radical when American presence on its border prompted its citizens to elect a more conservative government. Carter's approach to Iran is debatable, but it's certainly not black and white. I think a lot of people are curious to see if this new regime will maintain democracy.