Welcome to PatsFans.com

Arab Islamo Public School in Brooklyn NY

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

Does anyone have a problem with this? I'm not entirely understanding of all the details surrounding either the school, or dual language schools. I'll say that on the surface I don't like it, but don't really know enough to take a firm position. I think kids should be taught in english, and that playing to specialty groups, with public funds like this, is wrong. Again though, I'm not privy to all the details so I am only speaking from the surface, and via assumptions I may have. Anybody know more?

Arabic school in N.Y.C. creates stir
    Critics say the academy may breed extremism. Supporters see a vital role for it in the post-9/11 world.

By Alexandra Marks | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor
    June 1, 2007 edition

Diane Bondareff/APPage 1 of 2

New York - In September, New York City will open the nation's first public school dedicated to teaching Arabic and Arab culture.

Named after the Christian Arab poet Khalil Gibran, it's one of 65 specialty dual-language schools in New York. But it's the only one that has sparked a public controversy.

Some conservative critics have warned it could breed home-grown extremists: "A Madrassa Grows in Brooklyn," read one provocative headline in The New York Sun. Others have attacked it for balkanizing public education, which has historically played a primary role in helping the nation's many immigrants assimilate.

Supporters deny both claims and say the academy is designed to educate world citizens and bridge Eastern and Western cultures, something sorely needed in today's increasingly global world.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0601/p03s01-ussc.html

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -28

Maybe they could send some FBI agents there as speaking arabic continues to be a deficit for the agency.. if it is closely monitored, might still be skeptical.. this is a tough one. If it is public might be better than a private school, aka madrassa. OTOH, spending tax payer's money on this is a tough buy for me.

3. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I have no more problem than with any other dual-language schools, but the whole concept seems weird to me. Why are there different students going to different types of public schools at all? Public schools are there to teach fundamentals, which can certainly include classes on the Arabic language and Arabic culture, but do we need to segregate people into different kinds schools to teach them? I don't think we should.

For the record, while I'm not a supporter of "English only" education, I think schools need to move kids very quickly from native-language to English-language classes.

If a kid comes here at 6 years of age and goes into the first grade, he might need some instruction in his own language. Otherwise he could fall behind on math, social studies, science, etc, because he doesn't understand the material. But within a year he needs to be taught in English or he'll fall behind in... English.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

The hell with them, they'll have to spend all day hanging around with all the other Arabs because they won't be able to talk to anybody else :singing:

A$s Holes.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -28

Guess you did not volunteer for the "take an inner city muslim kid to Maine and clamming in Christmas Cove summer program".. and I thought you would be first in line for this unique opportunity. There a still a couple of openings, here is the link to sign up..

bringmuslimkidsclamminginxmascove.com