PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aqib Talib: The next Cromartie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched McFadden play also. I also watched him disappear in the Bowl game.

Sorry if I feel you dramatically over-rate players. You've been doing it for years.

And, while I liked Antonio Cromartie also, I didn't feel that using a pick on a guy with a torn ACL was in the Pats best interest. They felt the same way. Not that it mattered since he went to San Diego prior to the Pats drafting.

Yep and everyone was scared off by his lack of playing experience too. Too bad they were wrong on that and his health.

As for Phillips, Meriweather isn't a strong safety and doesn't have the frame to put on much more weight without seriously hampering his speed. Why double up with 2 free safety type players?

Meriweather certainly could play strong safety he played some at Miami and hes even lined up there for the Pats in some games. His game is alot like Rodneys in that he attacks the line of scrimage and is great in run support. He does need more weight and strength and i already said that before which i think he can improve on but that doesnt effect his game, the only thing it would effect is keeping him durable and injury free. Im not a fan of Philips game he is not a strong safety and thats what alot of people have been saying to draft him for Rodneys replacement, Meriweather would actually be better at strong safety then Philips, and i think Philip would make a good free safety cause he is more of a coverage guy, with great size and speed to boot. So i would only draft Philips if we would play him at FS and move Meriweather over to SS to replace Rodney longterm. Philips at FS and Meriweather at SS is actually quite intriging in my eyes and worth a look at in this draft.

The Pats have bigger issues than RB and safety. Unfortunately, BB prefers not to draft LBers early. Also, unfortunately, the LBers this year aren't great. There are some middle rounders who seem to be better fits than the early rounders. Players like Goff and Larsen. But who knows with the Patriots.

I agree RB is low priority but to say its not a need is dumb. We will need to replace Faulk soon and Morris and the whole unit can be upgraded by a stud like McFadden -right now-. QB is not a need, it cannot be upgraded. The Dline is not a need it would be very hard to upgrade any of those guys. RB our backups are at the point where RBs run out of steam, post 30. If there was a stud LB like Rey Maualuga hell yea i would take that over a RB but there isnt. Theres a bunch of scrubs up there and we would be very fortunate if McFadden fell to our pick.

As for DRC, He's not the best CB in the draft. But that's just my opinion.

Hes a #1 CB.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Let me break it down for you, SAT style, when we talk about Pro Careers:

Darren McFadden:Felix Jones as Cadillac Williams:Ronnie Brown

Now, I'm not suggesting McFadden won't be a better pro than Williams. He almost certainly will. However, his NCAA backup is going to have a better NFL career than he will.

Count me among those who think there's probably no comparison. And I've been one of the most vocal around here in saying that Talib should be the pick, since I think he's going to be a very good NFL player. That said, Cromartie is an absolute beast and is likely to only get better. Finding the "next Cromartie" is a lot like finding the "next Hester". Basically what you're searching for is a guy with a similar skillset who can come close to the level of production, but I highly doubt any team will draft a guy who's as good as either of those two.

That said, I'm 100% on board with Talib as the pick, in fact he's my top corner in the draft.

I agree RB is low priority but to say its not a need is dumb. We will need to replace Faulk soon and Morris and the whole unit can be upgraded by a stud like McFadden -right now-. QB is not a need, it cannot be upgraded. The Dline is not a need it would be very hard to upgrade any of those guys. RB our backups are at the point where RBs run out of steam, post 30. If there was a stud LB like Rey Maualuga hell yea i would take that over a RB but there isnt. Theres a bunch of scrubs up there and we would be very fortunate if McFadden fell to our pick.

As for DRC, He's not the best CB in the draft. But that's just my opinion.

Hes a #1 CB.

McFadden isn't a stud. Sorry. He's not. And adding him when RB is the lowest priority on this team next to QB would be assinine and wouldn't do anything to help this team over-come the issues that helps cost them the SB this year and the AFCCG last year.

As for DRC, he's not a #1 CB yet. And, even if he was, that doesn't make him the BEST CB in the draft. Which was YOUR contention.

Briz, in case you've missed it, the issue I have is that you get your panties all twisted up over your supposed studs and you fail to look at the reality of how the Patriots are run and what their issues are.

Their issues, currently, are at LB (both ILB and OLB) and Corner. Followed by the Oline (RT/RG), Safety and WR.

Adding McFadden wouldn't address any of those issues and wouldn't be a benefit, long term, to this team as it would be a drain financially to have a high 1st round RB on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back