PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aqib Talib is at Friday's practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone will pay Talib. The question will be how well the patriots will compete with offers from other teams.

After all, on this board, Talib has gone from a franchise tag to $5M-$6M in less than a week.

I wouldn't even call it general fragility: it appears that he just has a chronic problem with his hip flexor. Which sucks, but yeah, it just means that it's something that will have to be managed going forward, and if giving him occasional games off against bad passing teams is what it takes, then so be it. If we can get him to the end of the season healthy, that's a great start; after that, it's just a matter of getting a bit of luck.

More than anything, though, it makes me feel pretty bad for Talib. If these hip issues keep popping up, then that could be the difference between signing a long-term, $8-10M per deal with a lot of guaranteed money and a $5-6 per, intermediate-term deal. Although who knows; Cromartie broke his hip, and still has problems with it to this day, and he got a big money deal from the Jets anyway.

I'm eager to see what Logan Ryan looks like

The main question I have is:

Who do we need Aquib Talib to shut down on the Jets?

New York Jets 2013 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - ESPN

Stephen Hill is the Green Beans' leading receiver with 18 catches for 300 yards and 1 TD. Big deal. Santonio Holmes has all of 10 receptions (as compared to Kenbrell Thompkins who has 21 catches and Aaron Dobson who has 19).

If rest and no contact will make Talib's hip flexor better, I say sit him and let the Rutgers rookies step up this week in their backyard to help out Gregory, McCourty, Dennard and Arrington. Some solid minutes will do Harmon and Ryan a lot of good against a weak passing team.

The main question I have is:

Who do we need Aquib Talib to shut down on the Jets?

New York Jets 2013 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - ESPN

Stephen Hill is the Green Beans' leading receiver with 18 catches for 300 yards and 1 TD. Big deal. Santonio Holmes has all of 10 receptions (as compared to Kenbrell Thompkins who has 21 catches and Aaron Dobson who has 19).

If rest and no contact will make Talib's hip flexor better, I say sit him and let the Rutgers rookies step up this week in their backyard to help out Gregory, McCourty, Dennard and Arrington. Some solid minutes will do Harmon and Ryan a lot of good against a weak passing team.

Holmes is still out with an injury, btw - has missed the last couple of weeks and was listed as out today, so we don't have to worry about him. Clyde Gates got IRed this week, which basically just leaves Hill, Kerley and Cumberland as their leading receivers. I'm assuming that Arrington will draw the Kerley assignment and Dennard will get Hill. In an ideal world, Talib would be healthy and able to defend Hill, just because if nothing else the guy is really big and athletic, and we know that Talib can lock guys like that down. But if there was ever a week to let Talib rest, this is it. It'll be good to get some extended looks at Logan Ryan.

Someone will pay Talib. The question will be how well the patriots will compete with offers from other teams.

After all, on this board, Talib has gone from a franchise tag to $5M-$6M in less than a week.

I think it depends almost entirely on his health from here on out. If he only misses a game or two and finishes the season at 100%, then yeah, he'll absolutely get big bucks somewhere. He'll certainly deserve it, based on how he's played so far this season. He's absolutely elite when healthy.

But if he ends up having issues staying on the field and healthy for the rest of the season, then I can't imagine that there will be a long list of teams willing to give a top-tier contract to a guy who's had issues with the same hip for 3+ years running, no matter how talented he is. That's a large part of the reason why there was no big offer out there for him past offseason, and another year struggling with hip injuries won't change that for the better.

Don't know how one amputates a hip, but I guarantee that will be someone's diagnosis on this board before midnight.

But if he ends up having issues staying on the field and healthy for the rest of the season, then I can't imagine that there will be a long list of teams willing to give a top-tier contract to a guy who's had issues with the same hip for 3+ years running, no matter how talented he is.

The hip actually goes back to a 4th season, not meaning to nitpick.

Judging by this pattern of hamstring/hip, it would seem that the hamstring will rear its ugly head at some point again, since it seems to be hamstring/hip, hamstring/hip, hamstring/hip, etc.

Hopefully, we don't have to deal with the hip too much this year. Both have been nagging injuries that have plagued him throughout his 6 yr career. Funny though, we never hear too much about Talib being "made of glass" etc in the same way that we do for Amendola, even though he's actually been IR'ed twice now and has never once actually completed the end of a season (nor has he completed a whole season).

It's amazing what good play does to the injury concerns, as told by the multiple pacts that he turned down in the offseason. Apparently, NFL GM's don't seem to worry about the chronic injuries as much as posters on patsfans tend to.

2008 1 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Probable illness
2008 3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Questionable hamstring
2008 4 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Questionable hamstring
2008 5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Probable illness
2009 7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Probable hamstring
2009 9 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Probable ankle
2009 10 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Probable hamstring
2009 11 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Probable hamstring
2009 13 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Questionable hamstring
2010 1 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Suspended
2010 8 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Probable calf
2010 14 Tampa Bay Buccaneers IR hip
2010 15 Tampa Bay Buccaneers IR hip
2010 16 Tampa Bay Buccaneers IR hip
2010 17 Tampa Bay Buccaneers IR hip
2010 18 Tampa Bay Buccaneers IR hip
2010 19 Tampa Bay Buccaneers IR hip
2010 20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers IR hip
2010 21 Tampa Bay Buccaneers IR hip
2011 5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Probable knee
2011 6 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Probable knee
2011 14 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Out hamstring
2011 15 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Probable hamstring
2011 16 Tampa Bay Buccaneers IR hamstring
2011 17 Tampa Bay Buccaneers IR hamstring
2011 18 Tampa Bay Buccaneers IR hamstring
2011 19 Tampa Bay Buccaneers IR hamstring
2011 20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers IR hamstring
2011 21 Tampa Bay Buccaneers IR hamstring
2012 15 New England Patriots Questionable hip
2012 16 New England Patriots Questionable hip
2012 17 New England Patriots Questionable hip
2013 7 New England Patriots Doubtful hip

Read more: Aqib Talib Injury History

Don't know how one amputates a hip, but I guarantee that will be someone's diagnosis on this board before midnight.

See Gabor, Zsa Zsa. One of our posters feels she is the best medical comparison for injured players.

Judging by this pattern of hamstring/hip, it would seem that the hamstring will rear its ugly head at some point again, since it seems to be hamstring/hip, hamstring/hip, hamstring/hip, etc.

Hopefully, we don't have to deal with the hip too much this year. Both have been nagging injuries that have plagued him throughout his 6 yr career. Funny though, we never hear too much about Talib being "made of glass" etc in the same way that we do for Amendola, even though he's actually been IR'ed twice now and has never once actually completed the end of a season (nor has he completed a whole season).

It's amazing what good play does to the injury concerns, as told by the multiple pacts that he turned down in the offseason. Apparently, NFL GM's don't seem to worry about the chronic injuries as much as posters on patsfans tend to.

Wow. That is one vivid and troubling history. Not pleasant to view, but nice work.

Hey brady6, if Danny is injury prone, we better ship talib out fast, he will always be injured. I expect to see a "talib lives up to his critics in about 5 weeks", what ya say!

LOL, just joking with ya

Wasn't Zsa Zsa Gabor's amputation a result of complications from a hip injury? :eek:

I think coming back after the break is a good idea as we play Carolina week 11 and that will tune him up for the Denver game the following week.

Wasn't Zsa Zsa Gabor's amputation a result of complications from a hip injury? :eek:

That's right. Zsa Zsa got a hip flexor trying to shut down George Sauer in Super Bowl III.

Zsa Zsa was never the same against hitch and go routes, but as Mike Mayock would say, "Zsa Zsa had a great motor and could play with her hand in the dirt."

That's right. Zsa Zsa got a hip flexor trying to shut down George Sauer in Super Bowl III.

Zsa Zsa was never the same against hitch and go routes, but as Mike Mayock would say, "Zsa Zsa had a great motor and could play with her hand in the dirt."

"could play with her hand in the dirt."

With those nails? Never happen.

I think it depends almost entirely on his health from here on out. If he only misses a game or two and finishes the season at 100%, then yeah, he'll absolutely get big bucks somewhere. He'll certainly deserve it, based on how he's played so far this season. He's absolutely elite when healthy.

But if he ends up having issues staying on the field and healthy for the rest of the season, then I can't imagine that there will be a long list of teams willing to give a top-tier contract to a guy who's had issues with the same hip for 3+ years running, no matter how talented he is. That's a large part of the reason why there was no big offer out there for him past offseason, and another year struggling with hip injuries won't change that for the better.

That was probably one of the biggest underlying reasons for his anger as he limped off to the sideline last week.

Speaking of Mike Mayock...

Man, is he unbearable on these Thursday night games. it seems like after every single play, he's rattling off some dude's combine shuttle times or how he shifted positions before his junior year at Podunk U...

I get my annual fill of that during draft week. Can't take it when they are actually playing football.

Speaking of Mike Mayock...

Man, is he unbearable on these Thursday night games. it seems like after every single play, he's rattling off some dude's combine shuttle times or how he shifted positions before his junior year at Podunk U...

I get my annual fill of that during draft week. Can't take it when they are actually playing football.

that thursday night crew absolutely blows....sanders is horrible...faulk is well...faulk (aka ****ty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes