PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

April 22 Edelman article: "he may be the next Wes Welker"

Status
Not open for further replies.
this thread kind of brings me back a few years to a game when Ben Watson and Daniel Graham were both out. I think it was late season and the Pats were playing a inferior team with a weak defense. Dave Thomas, a well respected rookie, stepped in and caught maybe 5 or 6 balls for 80+ yards (both of which are close to half of his career totals and his only TD ever in 3 seasons).For about 10 or 15 days after the game, after reading this board, I thought he would have been the next Antonia Gates or Tony Gonzales. He hasn't had a touchdown since.

Lets keep expectation in check. Who had the best speed splits the following year in the combine? Didn't work out all that well did it?
You're right, of course, but there's a difference. While Thomas had a good camp his rookie year, we didn't get any direct indications from Foxboro, in terms of playing time and who he lined up with, that they thought he was anything more than a rookie TE. I've been a big Thomas supporter and I did get enthusiastic about him even though the coaches didn't give him a lot of opportunities after that one big game. In this case there's every indication that the coaches think Edelman's special.

Last edited:
I'm happy with how good he looked, but it's only the first preseason game. If he can play like this over the next 3 games (or even close) he's very likely to make the roster, but until that time I'm not 100% convinced. Remember what BB said about Cassel after the preseason game (I think it was his first as a rookie) when he went run crazy and played very well? Something along the lines of "Let's not put him in Canton just yet".
So you are using Cassel as an example of how players drafted late and then look good, still might not make the 53?

As someone said earlier, it is now too late to even think of sneaking him past waivers to get on the practice squad.

It is 53 or lose him.

He played on four STs (punt and punt return, KO and KO return, and played with the first string as WR.

No, I'd not put him in Canton, but I will project him onto the 53.

If you don't try to keep an up-to-date list of your projected 53-man roster like some of us fans-with-no-lives do, this hooraw is probably mildly humorous to you. But most of us who maintain a projected roster have him on it today.

if I was a gambling man, I'd take the odds the board is giving him to NOT make the team, bet 2 bucks and make a $1,000 if he gets cut. :D
Now THIS I agree with, that while not a lock, there is still one chance is in 500 that Edelman doesn't make the teams

Last edited:
I agree. Wait 'till the preseason is over.:)

Was it Sam Aiken who looked awesome in pre-season?
Not sure of your point. Didn't Sam Aiken made the 53-man roster?

Anyway, he came here from the Bills as a five-year ST vet. We already had a grasp of Aiken's NFL abilities. BB already had plenty of NFL game film on him.

edelman has already made this team. he is a smart, tough kid that has been getting better every day. he is a welker clone. the kid is a football player and he has taken advantage of every opportunity that has been given to him. this years draft class is looking real good.

If he's possibly a special player, then why are some in the media suggesting that he might not make the team? I'll keep him if I think that the best case scenario is that he becomes a player alike to Wes Welker, Troy Brown or Tim Dwight at the wide receiver position and on special teams.

After the draft one of my thoughts were: Who'll be better between Pat White and Julian Edelman? Prior to the draft, there was much talk about the Patriots possibly targeting White and incorporating a variation of the Wildcat offense into their own offensive schemes. Then, of course, was the Michael Vick discussion of New England supposedly having an interest in signing him.

I feel as if Edelman will make the final roster and has as good of a chance as any wide receiver on the roster as Joey Galloway and Chad Lewis. I think New England would be pleased to have such weapons like Darius Butler and Edelman on special teams.

If he's possibly a special player, then why are some in the media suggesting that he might not make the team?

Who's saying that? :)

So you are using Cassel as an example of how players drafted late and then look good, still might not make the 53?

As someone said earlier, it is now too late to even think of sneaking him past waivers to get on the practice squad.

It is 53 or lose him.

He played on four STs (punt and punt return, KO and KO return, and played with the first string as WR.

No, I'd not put him in Canton, but I will project him onto the 53.

If you don't try to keep an up-to-date list of your projected 53-man roster like some of us fans-with-no-lives do, this hooraw is probably mildly humorous to you. But most of us who maintain a projected roster have him on it today.

Now THIS I agree with, that while not a lock, there is still one chance is in 500 that Edelman doesn't make the teams

The only way I could see him being on the PS is if he really stinks up the place the next 3 pre season games... but if he does that, he might get cut anyway. All I'm saying is let's see how he does in game 2 and 3 (at least) before we all go out and buy Edelman jerseys. Believe me, I hope he's the next Welker. I hope he's even better... I'm just tempering my enthusiasm.

If I had to guess now I'd say he makes the 53, and we'll know for sure soon enough. :D Now... where do we place our bets again? :singing:

I'm surprised that so many teams showed interest in him and New England still got him for only a 7th round pick. Great scouting by the Pats, looks like we stole a real player here.

You know, by the time they get to the 7th round, the decision on who to pick often revolves around who they have to draft, and who they think they can sign as UDFAs. For example the Pats used a pick on Matt Cassel, because they were convinced that if they didn't he'd sign with a WC team as an UDFA. I think the deal was similar with Edelman. No one thought he was good enough to waste a pick on, but a lot of teams thought he'd be worth the risk as an UDFA. If the Pats didn't draft him, they didn't like their chances of signing him as an UDFA.

I've always thought that the UDFA route gives a player a lot better chance of making a roster than being a 7th rounder. Now you can pick your team. You came decide to come to a NE, or you might think that you have a better chance with a team thats weak at your position.

Here's a slightly different version that I saved to my HD 2 weeks before the draft:
KSU quarterback Julian Edelman made a strong impression in his pro day workout March 12. Edelman ran a 4.48-second 40-yard dash, had a vertical leap of 36 1/2 inches and a broad jump of 10 feet, 3 inches. He ran a 3.91-second shuttle; NFL types asked him to run again because they didn't believe the number. Those stats are more than impressive for a guy who is being looked at as an NFL receiver and who, if drafted, would go second day. ''He's a really skilled guy — similar to [Antwaan] Randle El and Seneca Wallace,'' a league insider said. ''He can play 'Wildcat,' return kicks, and he may be the next Wes Welker as a wide receiver.'' High praise, but Kent State has a reputation for producing athletes who go on to succeed in the pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back