Welcome to PatsFans.com

Apply Within...unless you are ugly.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Drewski, May 24, 2012.

1. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Heard about this this AM on AAF Hillman Show.

I guess Mary Lou's (local coffee shop chain) is being investigated for Federal Employment Discrimination by not hiring...... unattractive or fat people.

Hahaha you can't make this up.

But I ask, is ugly or fat a federally protected group of people?

I get that you can't discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, religion etc etc but ugly and fat?

What next? They going after Hooters and strippies?

Report: Marylou's under discrimination investigation - Boston News, Massachusettts News, WHDH-TV 7NEWS WHDH.COM

2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The best coffee in town! :rocker:

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +431 / 8 / -4

Hooters gets sued a lot, actually. Often by men...

I think the key criteria is whether attractiveness / weight are integral to the position. so Hooter's probably can refuse to hire "ugly" or "fat" women, or all men, when it comes to waitstaff -- but not for corporate or kitchen positions. I would think the same applies here.

4. Drewski

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Why would men sue Hooters? Because they can't get a job which wears the uniform?

I would agree with the latter. But at the end of the day, if a coffee shop owner wants to hire only pretty people because they bring more business...well then why not?

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,010 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

They should throw a heffer in here and there ... for under achiever male customers.

6. Drewski

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Hahaha

A caller on the Hillman show had a similar take.

The "heffers" should open their own coffee place and call it Mary Moo's.

7. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +431 / 8 / -4

In theory, yes.

Or because they think there's some unfair "double standard" in the world. (Probably the same guys who sue over "ladies night" drink specials)

Or because they're jackasses out to make a buck w/o working for it (Probably the same guys who sue over "ladies night" drink specials :) )

I agree.

8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I could see if it was a job one could build a life on; but what do they get? $8.00/hr?

I think Dunkin Donuts discriminates on race and sex because all they seem to have working for them are young Brazilian girls.

9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That reminds me, do the cops discriminate based on having nasty behinds and legs in their female hires or is that the pants they're issued?

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Hah! You noticed that too SD? "Not that it's a bad thing...."

Love them Brazilian women mucho gusto!

I'm also fine with ML's hiring attractive young women. but if I had a daughter who wasn't up to their standards, it might get me po'd a bit.

I actually grew up close to where Mary Lou's started their business...think it started in Hull, MA...not sure. But it was in that area.

BTW.....Any of youz guys been to Knockouts? It's a "Men Only" place to get your haircut. Went to the one in Mansfield never having heard of the place. I walked in and WOW!!:eek: Two of the hottest, hotties I've seen in a long time. They cut your hair, then wash it...cut it some more and then give you a scalp massage...but no, not a happy ending if you were wondering.

Turns out, the Gronk is a regular customer at Knockouts. If you have one near you, try it out. Pretty good cuts too! Price was $32 without tip.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  11. Drewski

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

PR - I have always wondered about Knockouts. I know the one you went to (I live 5 mins away).

However that price wouldn't be a regular thing for me. 10 plus tip at John and Sons in Halifax is about my max for my ever decreasing amount of hair. :)

12. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +431 / 8 / -4

OT: Drewski, PR has it right, and sometimes women do, too -- some "pampering," as they would call it, is worth the $.

not necessarily Knockouts, your call. But I was introduced years ago to the pleasures of more upscale haircuts. I was skeptical, thinking it was an LA friend gone soft out here. I was wrong.

First off, yes, the haircut usually is better (depending on what you need, of course).

But the shampoo, scalp massage and (sometimes) hand massage? Well worth it.

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

So how much government time and money is going into this investigation? Great expenditure of taxpayer money and resources I say. :rolleyes:

If you want to get technical with the absurdity of some laws, I'm sure there's a legitimate case here. I personally find that to be stoopid, but such are the times in the politically correct, dogooder, everyone gets a trophy, the bouncer wouldn't let me dance on the stage in a nightclub cuz he said I'm too fat so I'm suing them for discrimination, US of WUSS-A. :p

And yes that last line is a legit story. Nuke us please.

14. Drewski

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

It used to be one of the things I took advantage of in my previous life.

Scalp-shoulder-hand massage and a cut was always relaxing.

15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Oh my Santa! That must have been a humiliating experience for you, RW!:rocker:

16. Why?PJ

Why?PJ On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This isn't even a big deal. There are tens of thousands of jobs where that description literally applies.

Besides the obvious, any position where the look of a person is just as important a company has the right to choose who they hire. All they need to do is categorize the job in the 'model' vain and that's it.

Now the fact that anyone actually thinks it is wrong for people to discriminate has no idea what the hell they are talking about. Especially when hiring people. It is the hiring person job to discriminate against everyone that doesn't fit the mold of the person they are looking for.

17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Like when this guy tried out for ILB with the Patriots?

[​IMG]

18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

Da-dun-chee!

Seriously though, someone nuke us now.

Apr 28, 2012 6:34pm

‘Plus-Sized’ College Student Claims Discrimination at Bar

[​IMG]

Credit: Jordan Ramos

A self-described “plus sized” college student who was told she was “obviously pregnant” and “not pretty enough” to dance on a platform in a bar in Iowa is claiming she was discriminated against by the bar’s bouncers.

Jordan Ramos, a 21-year-old University of Iowa student said she went to Union Bar in Iowa City, Iowa with her friends on March 3. She said she tried to get onto a platform where several of her friends were dancing, but was stopped by the bouncer, who said they were at capacity.

Ramos said she waited until a few girls left, and again tried to go up. She was stopped again, which she said prompted her to ask, “What is the difference between the other girls up there and myself?”

“There was only one difference: I am a plus-sized individual. The bouncer said ‘Look, you will never get up on this platform. Go back to the dance floor where you belong,’” Ramos told ABC News.

‘Plus-Sized’ College Student Claims Discrimination at Bar - ABC News

19. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,010 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey