Welcome to PatsFans.com

Apple Patent Ruling

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DropKickFlutie, Aug 26, 2012.

1. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I still don't understand it. Someone explained to me that even if a cell phone exec wrote an internal email like 'X company has cameras on their phones, we should have them too', that does not constitute patent infringement.
    It seems like the entire argument over prior art and past inventions were never taken into account. Apple does not have a monopoly on rounded edges for phones, they didn't invent touch screens, hell even their macs stole mouse and windows technology from Xerox.

How does this impact other industries as well like cars? Over a year or two all companies end up making cars that look like the industry leaders. Where does it stop, where do you draw the line?

All this seems to show is that the jury does not understand intellectual property, and also that now all phones will increase dramatically in price as Apple goes after every other company for using rounded edged rectangular cell phones with touch screens....

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Some Hi Tech companies play this game Apple of course IBM is big in playing the patent game to make $$$ and limit competition.

3. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Flutie - let me preface this by saying I am big techy/gadget person, and while I personally use Android, I can understand the pros of Apple products.

The ruling dealt more with trade dress than anything else.

Samsung - if you look at the Galaxy S, S2 and Galaxy 10.1 tablet clearly knocked off the Apple line of products.

It would be the same ruling if Pepsi decided to change their cans to a red can with white writing.

Samsung should use this as a means to innovate new and great products. Also, Apple should stop suing companies who are beating them and instead do what they have always done best, innovate.

They changed the world with the first iPhone, and the iPhone 5 comes out next month. However the newest features on the 5 were in Android 2.1 (2.5 years ago).

All that being said, Google bought Motorola for their patents, and are actually suing Apple (trial next year). And those patents have to do with actual smartphone functionality, not "a black plastic brick with rounded corners and a home button".

Apple picked a fight rather than beat them through competetion. Googlerola will now flex its true patent power.

Having said of all that...I agree. The patent process seems broken and how it is applied in practice of lawsuits seems weird. The equivalent would be Ford suing Chevy because they use round wheels.

D

4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't know the details of this court case, so I really have no idea why Apple won it. I just think it's pretty darn funny how Apple has become the exact same kind of corporation Microsoft used to be, and all those holier-than-thou Apple followers of the 90's are now the exact same type of mind numbed robots they used to make fun of 15 years ago.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  5. DropKickFlutie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I know people with those new Samsung phones and it sounds like those current phones are even more advanced and different from the iPhones. It seems like Apple is going around suing people instead of making a better product. It probably isn't a coincidence that Apple started suing Samsung the moment Samsung became a major competitor to them. I'm not expecting any major innovations from Apple now that Steve Jobs is gone, it will be like the first time Apple went down after Jobs wasn't with Apple anymore.

6. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

Google is setting up to stomp Apple. Apple is way behind in the game and just getting by on the fan-boy population right now. We saw a perfect example of that last year when they screwed over their base with the iPhone 4s.

And, if the courts treat Google's patent claims as they have treated Apple's, then Apple could be in for a world of hurt.

7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,050 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

All I have to say is I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S III and I love it.

thanks Samsung and oh ... thanks Apple. :D

8. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm a big computer guy, have been for the last 20 years, my first computer was the Apple IIc Plus and cost my mom $3000.00 at the time no hard drive only floppy disks and I think it was 16 bit color monitor or something like that.

Through the years I have helped or built myself many computers and at the same time trying out Apple products. Apple was the first computer company to come out with a GUI and they stole it from xerox who got it from MIT, then after MS stole it from Apple.

No ones hands are clean here, everyone steals, great artist create the greatest artists steal......

Now on topic,

I have followed the case somewhat and IMO the Apple verdict was the right one, if you see this you'll understand more:Appleā€™s case that Samsung copied the iPhone and iPad

As you can clearly see, they changed course as soon as the Iphone was released, they couldn't compete on their own so they stole....MS pretty much did the same thing back in the day as did Google with android but the key thing was the internal e-mails and the inside info/pictures that Samsung had and the blatant copying they did.

IMO they do need to change the Patent system though, its getting a little stupid and its going overboard now.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  9. DropKickFlutie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

See, I'm not sure. One could easily do the same thing and show how one leading car company came out with a new design, and a year or two later most companies follow the design lead of that leading car brand. Is that patent infringement? Showing the evolution of a design changing over time doesn't necessarily constitute patent infringement. If one phone comes out with a camera and others follow suit, that isn't necessarily patent infringement. I also don't think that the first Apple phone was the first ever in terms of a touch screen or a handheld device with a rounded corner. I don't think it ever came up in the trial but I bet someone could dig up prior versions (called "prior art") of all of the designs that ended up on the first iPhone.

10. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

OT:Just got back from my buddies helping him set his up.

Its a very nice device.