PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Appeals Court dismisses Jet fan spygate lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why yes, yes it has been a couple good days. :singing:

I don't know if that classifies as a good day. That's like saying it was a good day today because Massachusetts didn't sink into the ocean. Sure, we're happy the lawsuit got dismissed, but did anyone really think they had a leg to stand on in the first place? It would have been an incredibly sad day if it had gone through, but now it's just status quo.

Bummer. I WANTED it to go thru so that the NFL lawyers would have had to use the "everyone did it" and "It was simply a rule violation with no game impact" defenses. A missed opportunity.

Bummer. I WANTED it to go thru so that the NFL lawyers would have had to use the "everyone did it" and "It was simply a rule violation with no game impact" defenses. A missed opportunity.

Agreed. I was really hoping this would go to trial.

Imagine Rexie's press conferences... :rofl:

Yes, they would have been able to depose, under oath, every Coach in the NFL, regarding the practice. The problem is that it still wouldn't have changed the haters' minds. So, all in all, better that it just died.

I second or third or fourth that. I would also have loved to seen the lawyer get censured or whatever a similar reprimanding is, what a complete waste of time.

But like one of the comments said, how are you going to have a trial anyway when Herr Goodell burned all the evidence?

Also I think if they let this through, it would have opened the floodgates - people would file suits because they feel a team wasn't competitive enough, etc. The lawyers would have had field days.

Good riddance to both; this stupid idea and Arlen Specter as an elected representative and lawmaker.

Applause and flush.........:p

It was never going to go to trial. These guys have a ton of times on their hands since this isn't the first frivolous lawsuit they have ever brought. How empty your life must be to waste time and energy on such uselessness. No spending your free time posting on a Patriots message board, now that is productive use of your free time.

Last edited:
While they were at it, why didn't the court dismiss ALL Green Beans fans as agents of agitating irrelevancy?

"Lawyer Shepard Goldfein, representing the NFL, argued that fans likely would buy tickets even if they knew the Patriots were stealing signals"

Wow even the NFL lawyer got it wrong, the fine was not for stealing signals or even taping, just taping in the wrong location. That and the "whopping fine" for the "horrendous violation" from the yellow towel waving judge, it is no wonder the general public misconstrue the crime. Even people who should know better and be more guarded against slander and misrepresentation slip into media inspired interpretations.

I agree that going to trial would have enabled some of the myth to be dispelled, on the other hand truth has no audience with prejudice and bigotry.

Last edited:
My favorite excerpt from the decision is

"Mayer further does not appear to contest the fact that a team is evidently permitted by the rules to engage in a wide variety of arguably 'dishonest' conduct to uncover an opponent’s signals. For example, a team is apparently free to take advantage of the knowledge that a newly hired player or coach takes with him after leaving his former team, and it may even have personnel on the sidelines who try to pick up the opposing team’s signals with the assistance of lip-reading, binoculars, note-taking, and other devices. In addition, even Mayer acknowledged in his amended complaint that '[t]eams are allowed to have a limited number of their own videographers on the sideline during the game.'"

http://www.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/092237p.pdf

This pretty much sums up the absurdity of all the Spygate claims and tainted titles.

Last edited:
I agree that going to trial would have enabled some of the myth to be dispelled, on the other hand truth has no audience with prejudice and bigotry.

Agreed on both counts.

But the Patriots have to bear some of the blame for the misperceptions. Week after week throughout Spygate, they allowed lies and half-truths to stand without challenging them to the point where the mediots on ESPN felt they could say anything they wanted to say, knowing that no one would challenge their veracity. I am to this day amazed by the total lack of a "media strategy" by the Pats throughout the whole thing. The only consistent and credible push-back came from posts on this Board.

At this point, the good news is that "time" is on the Patriots side, as memories of the entire mess recede in the minds of most fans outside New England; let lying sleeping dogs lie, because when they wake up all they do is lie some more.

Agreed on both counts.

But the Patriots have to bear some of the blame for the misperceptions. Week after week throughout Spygate, they allowed lies and half-truths to stand without challenging them to the point where the mediots on ESPN felt they could say anything they wanted to say, knowing that no one would challenge their veracity. I am to this day amazed by the total lack of a "media strategy" by the Pats throughout the whole thing. The only consistent and credible push-back came from posts on this Board.

At this point, the good news is that "time" is on the Patriots side, as memories of the entire mess recede in the minds of most fans outside New England; let lying sleeping dogs lie, because when they wake up all they do is lie some more.

very astute post..seriously

Sen Comcast loses primary --- check.
Lawsuit dimissed --- check.
Herald fires Tomase -- still waiting.

"Lawyer Shepard Goldfein, representing the NFL, argued that fans likely would buy tickets even if they knew the Patriots were stealing signals"

Wow even the NFL lawyer got it wrong, the fine was not for stealing signals or even taping, just taping in the wrong location. That and the "whopping fine" for the "horrendous violation" from the yellow towel waving judge, it is no wonder the general public misconstrue the crime. Even people who should know better and be more guarded against slander and misrepresentation slip into media inspired interpretations.

Well said. It disgusts me that even many Patriot fans are under the impression that our "violation" was anything more than a technicality.

It was a Witch Hunt, plain and simple: A dramatically trumped up charge, motivated by nothing more than jealousy.

my favorite excerpt from the decision is

"mayer further does not appear to contest the fact that a team is evidently permitted by the rules to engage in a wide variety of arguably 'dishonest' conduct to uncover an opponent’s signals. For example, a team is apparently free to take advantage of the knowledge that a newly hired player or coach takes with him after leaving his former team, and it may even have personnel on the sidelines who try to pick up the opposing team’s signals with the assistance of lip-reading, binoculars, note-taking, and other devices. In addition, even mayer acknowledged in his amended complaint that '[t]eams are allowed to have a limited number of their own videographers on the sideline during the game.'"

http://www.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/092237p.pdf

this pretty much sums up the absurdity of all the spygate claims and tainted titles.

PERFECT. Couldn't've said it better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes