Welcome to PatsFans.com

Appeals court affirms order blocking Oklahoma sharia law ban

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Yes, another story about bigotry.

Why do people choose to pretend that conservatives are not bigots? Whether on issues of race, religious, gender, ethnicity or sexual preference, they're constantly trying to pass ignorant laws or apologizing for their bigoted remarks.

Appeals court affirms order blocking Oklahoma sharia law ban - latimes.com

A federal appeals court has upheld a ruling that blocked the implementation of an Oklahoma law barring judges from considering international or Islamic law in their decisions.

The measure, known as State Question 755, was approved with 70% of the vote in 2010. ...

Proponents of the law argued that it was intended to ban courts from considering all religious laws and that sharia was simply used as an example. The appeals court, however, disagreed.

"That argument conflicts with the amendment's plain language, which mentions sharia law in two places," the court opinion read.

BREAKING: 10th Circuit Court Of Appeals Declares Oklahoma's Sharia Ban Unconstitutional | ThinkProgress

"Appellants do not identify any actual problem the challenged amendment seeks to solve. Indeed, they admitted at the preliminary injunction hearing that they did not know of even a single instance where an Oklahoma court had applied Sharia law or used the legal precepts of other nations or cultures, let alone that such applications or uses had resulted in concrete problems in Oklahoma. See Awad, 754 F. Supp. 2d at 1308; Aplt. App. Vol. 1 at 67-68."

Appeals court upholds injunction on Oklahoma Sharia law measure | NewsOK.com

Awad (the man who challenged the law) contended the measure stigmatizes him and others who practice the Muslim faith, limits results Muslims can obtain from the courts and would prevent his last will and testament from being probated in Oklahoma because the will has references to Sharia law.

The appellate judges concluded the amendment “would disfavor (only) his religion,” in violation of the U.S. Constitution's provision stating, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.”
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Good.

We're talking about Oklahoma, right? Who can be surprised by religious bigotry there?
  3. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

I will confess to being reflexively opposed to Sharia law. If that makes me a bigot in your eyes, fine.

I don't think you would enjoy it much either.
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'm also opposed to dominance by evil aliens, zombies and vampires. None of them are real either- nor do they require the attention of our courts.

Fuggin idiots in OK! Knock it off! We're trying to become a developed society, here! JEEZIZ!
  5. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

This is not the primary impediment to becoming a developed society, but feel free to waste your time worrying about people who are wasting theirs. :p
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

True!:rocker:
  7. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

I don't think there's anything wrong with being reflexively opposed to sharia. I'm reflexively opposed to sharia; I'm also reflexively opposed to laws that mandate Christian teachings, or any other religion's rules.
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'm opposed to rules, period. At least ones that keep me from doing what I want whenever I want. I don't care about the ones that bother other people. I'm kinda selfish.
  9. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

You joke (I think? :) ), but there really are too many rules.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

seriously? THIS is where we are? its 2012....
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 1 / -9

I wonder what this Sharia Law sh!t thinks about The American Constitution.

Before they get a women ready for "stoning" do they say "you have the right to remain silent"
    :singing::singing:
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Find the zealotry about Sharia law interesting.. all the while you have a bunch of folks running for president who are wanting to have this country espouse "domininionism".. see Perry, Bachman and to a lesser extent Foamy Aftermath. One extremist religion is not better than the other.

The laws should outlaw any form of religious involvement in any of our courts, wait a minute the constitution already does so.
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -13

In America, we object to barbaric laws. Thankfully, we don't need laws preventing a certain typy of barbarism. Even Muslims who live in this great nation oppose sharia law...prolly one reason why they came here.

Maybe someday, all nations will eradicate sharia bullsh1t...I mean, laws.
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It's like...ummm...US Americans...ummmm...like....ummmm...deserve literacy around the globe and Iraq...ummm...like...I don't know....
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I would guess that among believers in Sharia as among believers in the US Constitution, there are those who favor a conservative interpretation--so called Originalists--and those who favor a liberal interpretation based on modern realities.

For example, originalists believe our Constitution finds it legal that a landlord not rent to a gay couple or a restaurant not seat a black person. Conservative Sharia believers believe that homosexuality is punishable by imprisonment or whipping such as in Saudi Arabia or the death penalty as in Iran and among the Taliban.

Liberal believers in our Constitution believe that it protects us against small minded bigots, while liberal Sharia believers argue that the Koran doesn't say anything about homosexuality.

Sadly, in the Muslim world, secular or not, conservatives tend to dominate, which Thank God Almighty is not the case here.

;

That said, most Muslim countries confine Sharia law to family matters, while secular law governs most parts of life.
  16. Texxx

Texxx Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 13 / -30

I think your intolerance of anything that isn't liberal is as bigoted as anything you accuse others of. Quite frankly, all you do is spew bigotry. Does anyone have a tally of threads this guy creates to bash on Conservatives and make false claims?? You don't have a clue what real racism is even like.
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

This is the political forum. In general this forum thrives on our disagreements, and a good solid disagreement often generates the most discussion. Clearly, a political forum cannot have a rule against criticizing political beliefs, or what would be the point?

Believe it or not, if it wasn't for the conservatives in this forum, I doubt if many of the liberals would be here. I don't make false claims, but I thought all along the act of outlawing Sharia in Oklahoma of all places was utterly absurd and clearly directed towards one specific religious group. How is that not bigotry?
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Just what we need is another expert on nothing..

No tally yet, but you are welcome to assume that role..
  19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Who here is all for Christian law trumping secular law?.
  20. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 6 / -9

The guy bringing the suit had standing - the proposed law against sharia law would invalidate his will. If somewhere it says "my money will be divided in accordance w/sharia, x% to my wife, x% to my oldest son, x% to my younger son, x% to my daughter," his argument -- which is upheld by the ruling -- is that OK would not honor his last will and testament.

How about marriages between Muslims that are done traditionally (i.a.w. sharia,) and that marriage is honored by a country, whether secular, quasi-secular, or islamist?

Two Israeli arabs who are married who move to OK aren't married anymore? Really?

And the argument for the law says they only used Sharia as an example.

So any two people married abroad, or by the laws of a religion, aren't married anymore by going to OK? Talk about a quickie divorce. Even if you don't want one.

Yeah I really do applaud their attempt to uphold the values of personal liberty in OK. Too bad that big bad court smacked them down like the troglodytes they are.

PFnV