Welcome to PatsFans.com

AP NewsBreak: Patrick weighs 27 cent gas tax hike

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Nice. Together we can.

Hey, less people will drive, which means less emissions, which means we'll go higher up on the Health Index list! It's pure genious! [​IMG]

AP NewsBreak: Patrick weighs 27 cent gas tax hike

By Glen Johnson
    AP Political Writer / February 9, 2009

BOSTON—Gov. Deval Patrick is considering raising the gasoline tax in Massachusetts by 27 cents per gallon as part of a comprehensive transportation overhaul plan, The Associated Press learned Monday.

The proposal would stave off a doubling of Turnpike tolls planned for this summer, but would leave the state with the highest gasoline tax in the nation at 50.5 cents.

The plan calls for the state's Highway Division to receive $325 million, or 12.5 cents, of the added 27 cents-per-gallon gas tax. The MBTA would receive $286 million, or 11 cents, while the regional transit authorities would receive $39 million, or 1.5 cents.

AP NewsBreak: Patrick weighs 27 cent gas tax hike - Boston.com
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

why is this an ourage? Mass seems to spend those tax dollars quite well.

Lets look at the Big Dig for instance.
    1) On time
    2) Under budget.

why would anyone think the bay state would be careless with this revenue?
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

the price of gas will be going up... with or without this tax... sorry
  4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

And this after the toll booths on NH borders talk. My thoughts when I heard this: Cadillac Deval take what ever your buddy in the oval office offers you. You're NOT getting reelected.
  5. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yeah so lets tax on another 50 cents a gallon to support a bunch of hacks. :rolleyes:
  6. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

yeah let's just increase that tax to $1.00 since it is going up. let government and corporations get the money. wait... they are the same.
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

is that what i said, you hysterical little girl?

LOL.....
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I absolutely agree with you. It is going to go up.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Guys, PC is talking about the price of gasoline going up, due to the price of a barrell of oil eventually costing more. He, as do I, think that oil is going to rise as this year rolls along.
  10. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Uhm, well that's a no brainer but, it's NOT what you started this post about.
  11. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

good point. it's not a justification to raise the tax on gas.

it's like saying inflation is gonna cause goods to go up in price. so let's increase the sales tax too
  12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

And yet what you're complaining about (27 cents) when gas gets back to $4 gallon or more .... is what?...

Look, i don't like it either... but the state is vastly under budget amid the worst financial crisis this country has ever been faced with ... Schools are closing left and right... Do you want Mass. to go the way of California, and go bankrupt? Where should the revenue come from? .... Or, if that's not enough, let's approach it from another angle you've insinuated: Can you prove this extra money is going into a corporation's pocket? How? Based on what?
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Um, yeah, I do want it to go bankrupt. The financial crisis isn't the reason the gubmit is going broke. The gubmit is going broke because it acts like the people involved in the financial crisis. It tries to live in a $500,000 home, when it has a $40,000 salary. By going broke, or slashing 40% off the top, it might come to it's senses, and run more efficiently.

I firmly believe that for banana brained, and operated states (including the fed), bankruptcy is the best thing that could happen. Just make sure you have a weapon before it does.
  14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I agree with you, for the most part... The problem is that a lot of people will die if/when civil order breaks down... Having a weapon may be nice for yourself and your lady, but you won't be able to save everyone you love. ...

Part of me has accepted that reality... But it still pains me.
  15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Just the highways though? What about a couple of bucks for regular roads? Can't T/commuter rail riders pay for the trains and busses? Pleasant street in Watertown might as well be dirt and they just put a huge housing development on it.

IDK what to say guys. MA is a high tax state in general; but when you compare total tax burden, that's everything from the state income tax to the tax you have to pay to get the yearly sticker for your boat, and factor in average wages in the state we come out right in the middle of the pack. One thing I am sure of, we have an obligation to the future to keep up the infrastructure around here and to not leave behind a huge debt.
  16. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

1. they need to cut back spending. you'd do the same if you lost revenue.

2. I find it hard that no one on wall st has been brought up on criminal charges.

3. govt being state and federal needs to get serious and stop acting like "i'm going on a diet but i'm going fat free twinkies and can cheat on the weekends than go on a legit diet"
  17. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Not sure if this was linked to during election season, but boston.com made a calculator for how to cut out all the spending if the income tax had been repealed. I just used it to see if we could make up the budget gap in other ways. The easiest I saw was almost exclusively in healthcare, a 25% cut in Masshealth would erase the 2009 gap on its own. There are a lot of ways to get to $1 billion in savings, try it if you like:

Massachusetts Budget Game Calculator Question 1 Income Tax Repeal - Boston.com

Bottom line is I can see places the state can save especially if the cuts are more targeted than the across the board cuts shown in the game. Like decreasing how much the state pays for state employee health insurance. Right now its 90%, but MA could save a lot by bringing that figure into line with the private sector average, like 75%.

Anyway its an interesting exercise, and to me looking for places to cut is preferable to finding new ways to tax, especially on something like gas that we KNOW is going to get more expensive again.
  18. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

with the budget game cutting 25% across the board cuts $5 billion from the budget, so even without being smart about it and targeting specific areas for cuts the state could cover its $1 billion budget gap with a simple 5% across the board cut. 5% does not seem entirely unreasonable to me, and like I say real cuts could go deeper some places (pensions, health insurance, MBTA, early childhood ed) while leaving other programs in place (regular ed, local aid, etc).
  19. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

nice find stokes.... how soon many forget ways to actually spend within budget
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Well, a few losses to the planets population, will at least make Ted Turner tingly inside.