Welcome to PatsFans.com

AP explains picture of dying Marine

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Sep 4, 2009.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

AP explains picture of dying Marine - The Associated Press - POLITICO.com
    The photo is here: WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTO
    AP Newswire | Stars and Stripes

Opinion from "Stars and Stripes" :
    Photo of dying Marine forces a difficult decision | Stripes Blogs
    RIP - Lance Cpl. Joshua Bernard
    [​IMG]

Opinions?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Not that anything the Stars and Stripes says matters, I think the AP made the right decision as long as the family of the soldier gave their consent.

War is brutal, and soldiers die. Everyone should know this - especially now when Obama's threatening to inject 20,000 troops (or whatever number) into the death trap that is Afghanistan. Anyone considering joining the military should be aware of the strong possibility of death because the recruiters sure as hell won't show them any photos like that.

Now it is even more important because the troops in harm's way seem to have been put on the back burner of the national consciousness. We have become desensitized to the fact that we are in Afghanistan killing and being killed for a very vague purpose that changes every six months.

3. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I wanted to publish another opinion ... there were many but that one is military people so I chose theirs ... for some balance ... because they are used to running stories for our people overseas not necessarily for impact or for profit.

4. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I think the embedded photographer felt the story would impact public opinion ... she may have succeeded. The parents asked that the photo not be shown and for many that would be enough not to show it.

I thought it would make great discussion.

The needs, rights and wishes of the parents and Cpl Bernard.

The impact the story might have on the war itself.

i could list many reasons to make the thread.
    An ugly unpopular war that has left the front pages ...

5. CampPen33

CampPen33 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm a Marine, and this picture tore me apart inside, and absolutely infuriated me.

I understand the intended purpose behind publishing the photo; that it might show the masses the brutality that is the war in Afghanistan.

It obviously isn't pretty, and wasn't intended to be taken lightly, but the biggest thing is that the parents specifically asked for the photo not to be run. They were furious about it, as they should be.

Do people really need pictures of us all f***ed up to realize that war f***ing sucks? I mean seriously.

6. CampPen33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I personally believe people who are truly patriotic will be even more compelled to volunteer for the military by photos like this. This only made me want to be there in that moment with the thought my experience might have helped in any way. I was seriously choked up about this about as much as anyone probably will be, but if you don't want to run into the fire with me, then I don't want you there.

The issue is the serious violation of privacy, in my opinion.

7. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +232 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I've seen many horrific pictures from the Civil War WW1 WW11 Korea Vietnam etc. of soldier dead or dying What makes Iraq or Afganistan special. All of a sudden the public isan't suposse to know whats going on?

BTW I didn't look at this picture out of respect.

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +677 / 7 / -2

First and foremost, thank you for your service.

9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

first and foremost, thank you for your photos of the Italian chick.

10. CampPen33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm sorry, but this is a different kind of war against as an atrocious an enemy than we have ever faced, who actually use pictures like this as propaganda for their cause.

Why should pictures like this be shown to the American public? What real purpose does it serve? For those that say that the people have a right to know, and should know exactly what is going on, think about the people that we should protect from these images? Like wives, and children of Marines, and Soldiers that would be the wounded ones.

There is no draft going on. People don't have to enlist and go fight. Most who do want to deploy and fight. They are aware of the danger. Especially the ones who choose infantry based jobs.

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +677 / 7 / -2

I'm opposed to using a picture of a dying, or dead soldier, to further a personal political agenda. The picture wasn't news. The picture was used to make news. A little respect for those who make the ultimate sacrafice would be nice I think.

12. CampPen33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

EXACTLY. Especially when the parents asked for it not to be run.

13. CampPen33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just wait until we see propaganda with THIS picture, considering anyone in the world has access to it now.

14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

But it's quite alright to show the obligatory video war game each night on the mainstream media, replete with retired generals explaining the bombing missions and call signals and grainy video showing small villages blown to kingdom come for all Americans to enjoy?

That kind of imagery is quite acceptable, correct? The corporate-enabled media sure seemed to think so when our leadership killed 10,000 civilians in the first week.

Muslim civilians being vaporized from the sky? Completely fair game. A wounded U.S. soldier? An "invasion of privacy." This, despite our tax-paid war game based on fraud, double- and triple-billed to the Pentagon by corporations.

Yeah, forgive me. I'd say the American public has the right to see all images of this disaster. They also have the right to not look.

Still, if you want to censor the images, fine. Just censor them all, not just the ones that are unflattering for privatized war initiatives.

15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

A heartfelt Thank You for your service and your opinion.

Not having served I figured someone who does (has) would post their honest opinion and you did.

It's so hard to get honest opinion on the internet and in the media.

16. CampPen33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You can't even begin to compare the two. It's two completely different animals! Examples, we call in air on an abandoned tank and it explodes as big as anything... no one dead... no one would ever know either way. Showing explosions shows nothing, but sure spurs the imagination of minds like yours.

How many dead bodies did you see on TV from our airstrikes back in '03? Huh? I wouldn't know, I wasn't exactly near a TV.

Showing pictures of dead and mutilated bodies on either side serves no real worthwhile purpose in my mind. One way or another, we as America will be killing people in the pursuit of national security. And let me tell you this, national security wears a lot of different hats.

17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Actually, I did begin and finish comparing the two.... And quite well, regardless of the spin that followed. It is quite relevant. You want to censor images, censor it all. ...

So, it's my "imagination" that 200,000+ civilians (by conservative estimates) have been killed? It doesn't matter whether or not i see limbs fly through the air. It's obvious people are dying amid the blast, most of whom lack the political ideology to fill a thimble.

Well, that depends entirely on what network you chose to watch. The brainwashing that CNN, FOX and the others showed on your nightly news? Or independent media, not beholden to corporate mandate? If you're talking about the latter, I saw quite a bit.

It's called national defense. Not national offense. However you spin it, you can never convince me that "pre-emption" is anything but a dysfunctional foreign policy initiative that creates far more distrust and enemies abroad than it thwarts.

Pretending that killing civilians and occupying sovereign nations that never attacked us based on fraud is somehow preserving "national security" is the biggest lie Americans have had to endure since we became the most powerful country on Earth.

This was the same lame rationale that made it "OK" to fund genocidal death squads in Central America.

18. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

If you were making the call ... how many would you have in Afghanistan?

If you were making the decision in Afghanistan what would you do different?

19. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

washingtonpost.com

20. CampPen33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, this image certainly hits home, and I for one could go without seeing any of it. I am not going to sit here and defend any images. Ones like this are just particularly tough, and just tell me WHY these images need to be shared? Without it being about freedom of press, or the thought people have the right to see and know everything. I can tell you this, you do NOT have the right to see and know EVERYTHING. Conspiracy theorists will spin off how the government is corrupt; the government is trying to WIN. There are a lot fronts besides the battlefield.

Why don't you use that powerful deductive reasoning to realize Marines, Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen are being horribly wounded and killed like that when the count comes out every night.

Corporate mandates serve a good cause. Keeping images like this from people IS a good cause. Go ahead and fight that one, I'll be fighting our enemies.

Sometimes a good defense is a good offense. We weren't really doing much in 2001 when we were attacked, or was that the work of the government too? Of course we haven't had the best track record with foreign policy, but why shouldn't we be pursuing those who attacked us? Iraq? F*** that war, but Afghanistan? We are trying to do right by the country, as well as disrupt Al Qaeda.

There is a lot of things not exactly in the open that go into our national security. Should we just get rid of all our nuclear weapons? Hell no, because then someone else will have them and we wont. Should we sit back and try and watch the 307 MILLION people who live in this country and hope no terrorists get lucky? Hell no, and they are not going to stop no matter how isolationist we become.

DO we have the ability to operate as a society without oil? We NEED oil. And what happens when that is option is gone (whether it be sanctions from oil rich countries, or literally gone someday), and we still haven't taken the appropriate measures? We carve out or share. We TAKE our share, cause that preserves national security as well. Go ahead and imagine a world without enough power for everyone. We are on the right track, but not there.