Welcome to PatsFans.com

AOL Reader Poll...pretty interesting results

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Dec 16, 2009.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +379 / 3 / -15

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

3. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +379 / 3 / -15

Poll results are what they are....people's opinions. But given that over 200,000 people have responded resoundly, it's a significant poll.
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Here's another poll - from NBC of all places :

"As the Senate sprints to pass a health-care bill by Christmas, the latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finds that those believing President Obama's health-reform plan is a good idea has sunk to its lowest level.

Just 32 percent say it's a good idea, versus 47 percent who say it's a bad idea

In addition, for the first time in the survey, a plurality prefers the status quo to reform. By a 44-41 percent margin, respondents say it would be better to keep the current system than to pass Obama's health plan."

Congress - quit it. You are our representatives and we don't want this sh!t.
  5. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +643 / 6 / -18

6. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +643 / 6 / -18

Um, no. No it isn't.
  7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +379 / 3 / -15

It is certainly significant, but not scientific. As part of my job, I'm involved in household panel data, so I understand far more than most what is required for something to be significant.

Now, had you actually gone to the link, you would have a seen a REAL poll. And the numbers don't look good.

You should ask yourself who the AOL user is and then figure out if these results are significant or not. Ok, I'll do it for you....

Here they are:

Female: 57%

Marital Status
    Single: 38%
    Married: 62%

Education
    College Grad: + 51%

Age Composition
    18-24: 15%
    25-34: 18%
    35-44: 25%
    45-54: 24%
    55-64: 12%
    65+: 7%

Household Income
    $50k+: 63%
    $75k+: 40%
    $100k+: 23%

Occupation
    Professional/Managerial: 30%
    Self-employed: 11%

http://www.aqaba-sem.com/search_ed.htm
  8. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +643 / 6 / -18

That's funny. I bet if you asked specific questions about the reform(s) in question, you'd only get 15-20 percent of respondents who have any clue as to the actual content of the bill.

The polling, to some extent, doesn't really matter. The only thing matters is the eventual success or failure of the reforms.
  9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

If you want Congress to pass all kinds of sh!t against the will of the people and take your chances that it will be good, then good for you I guess. We don't want their crap and there's no good reason to think it will be a good thing so it should be DOA. They aren't lowering costs, they aren't improving health care. They're playing a financial shell game, nothing more, nothing less. AND WE DON'T WANT IT.
  10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +379 / 3 / -15

If you believe it's ok for the gov't to pass a bill into law that goes against the will of THE PEOPLE, you're not as smart as I hoped you were.

Do you think gov't officials know "what's best for Americans"?

I don't and not many people do.
  11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

No it's not.

But there are two issues here. 1) The poll in the story is probably sampled and correct (enough), 2) the poll results image attached to the OP are not sampled and nothing can be inferred from them, at all.

Internet polls are complete garbage and all they do is reflect the attitudes of the people who clicked them (assuming that the poll is not being influenced by some programmer with a personal interest - it is usually trivial to game these polls programmatically).

Why is this the case? Because there is no guarantee, even given a somewhat large sample size, that the sample is indicative of the population at large. Say you run a poll on dailykos.com, what do you think the results are going to look like? There are gobs of viewers on that site, but it's hardly indicative of the country's attitudes. It's called demographic bias.

Here's a great story on exactly this problem:

Opinion poll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  12. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +643 / 6 / -18

Actually, it isn't significant in the slightest. If you had any knowledge of statistics and/or normal polling methodology, you would know this.

First of all, it's a massive outlier. Not a Rasmussen-esque outlier; an outlier of such magnitude that the results either came from repeat voters or similar gaming of the system.

Second, I did go to the link. So I don't know how you think that constitutes a "REAL" poll, or what the distinctions are.

I don't care who the average AOL user is, because it's not a relevant demographic.
  13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +379 / 3 / -15

this poll is official folks....don't be fooled!
  14. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +643 / 6 / -18

It certainly is. And you betray your ignorance by claiming that it is.
  15. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +643 / 6 / -18

These statistics are utterly irrelevant and do not prove anything.
  16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +379 / 3 / -15

The beauty of the internet is that we have the freedom to express ourselves. If this thread is irritating to some, I suggest those people reflect on why that is.

The bottom line Jack is that Americans aren't happy with Obama's performance on the economy or on health care.

People are tired of watching the deficit pile higher & higher and want the spending to stop.
  17. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Again, there are 2 polls. One is the poll in the story, the other is the poll run by the web site, which you include as an image in your OP. There is nothing official - nothing at all - about the web site poll.

It even admits it:

See my other post to learn why the web site poll can be completely disregarded.
  18. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +643 / 6 / -18

You miss the point entirely. The health care reforms will be ultimately judged based on their relative success or failure. Not on what people think about it now, and given that it's safe to say most people are very or entirely ignorant of the subject, I'm not so sure whether it matters beyond electoral considerations.
  19. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +643 / 6 / -18

Now you're backsliding. Who cares about the accuracy of the results, just as long as tons of people voted? That's...erm, impressive reasoning, really.

Of course Americans aren't happy with Obama's performance on the economy. The economy sucks, so he gets blamed for it. It's really not that difficult to figure out.
  20. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If you want to draw that conclusion, that's fine, but please do so based on scientific polling. You probably have enough evidence there to make an argument without resorting to nonsense polls.