PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone's heads to roll from yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
BB is known for not giving many second chances. Caldwell knows that first hand.

Any players/coaches who you think may be thrown out on the street after yesterday's performance?

I would love to see the back of Josh Mcdaniels. But that's just me. :p
I'm positive that Asante won't be back and after his performance last night, I'm ok with that. I wouldn't mind changing the defensive philosophy on this team either. That pass rush of the Giants left me envious. If there is one thing that needs to be improved on this team it's the pass rush and the secondary. We've got some work to do this offseason, IMO.

Whoever put together that ridiculous Offensive gameplan needs to be suspended and/or demoted from those duties. They should've tried to wear down the Giants front four early with the run, then exploit them late. Then again, hindsight's 20/20.

The LB Corps and Secondary could use a retooling, but we knew that already.

If heads were going to roll from yesterday, I would already have expected five bearded ones to go rolling down route 1.

the oline last night was either really hungover from the night before, or, all injured.

they were absolutely horrible.

they played like... I think I need to make up a new word here.

I can't find the right word.

And it isn't a good word.

I hate to say this but depending what comes out from Spygate II, Belichick's head could be the one that rolls.

Based on the game, the only ones you can really look at are the OL and none of them will be gone. I could see Kaczur being demoted to a versaile backup role, though.

Last edited:
I'd like to see us get a serious pass rushing game too.

Perhaps the lessons learned last night (solid pass rushing can kill even a great opponent) will lead us to make similar defensive moves.

Eli had FOREVER to throw last night... it was embarrassing that we got to him too late time and time again.

I'd like to see us get a serious pass rushing game too.
We have one when Colvin is there. He and Vrabel were doing great. It all stopped when Colvin went out.

I hate to say this but depending what comes out from Spygate II, Belichick's head could be the one that rolls.

I almost wish that they had suspended him, so that people would leave us the hell alone.

Last edited:
I don't know about heads rolling but there will be some retooling done. The O-line needs to get a lot better at pass protection and better at blocking for the running game.

The D-line needs a speed rusher and Colvin is effective when he's healthy but we're thin there when he's not.

The linebacking core is getting old and we can get younger there.

The defensive secondary will get upgraded and we'll probably lose Asante.

We have one when Colvin is there. He and Vrabel were doing great. It all stopped when Colvin went out.

First need - younger LB's. That is a given.

Second need OL. I would make my first round draft choice here. I think we can pick up some good LB's in the later rounds.

Third need - TE. Watson has not been playing well lately and we need some blocking to protect Brady -- in that other teams now realize this is our weakness.

Samuel will go, I am pretty sure of that. NOT worth the money he wants.

Junior and Bruschi need to be replaced with younger guys. Harrison - stay I hope.

And with our first round draft choice, I replace Light. Enough already with this guy.

Other than that, this team is flat out awesome.

All I want to know is what.the.fuque was going on with the OL? Kaczur looked as helpless as Max Lane. Seriously, are you trying to tell me Strahan found the fountain of youth for one game? Come on! Light clearly struggled with Umenyiora and what was up with all his false starts? I couldn't believe my eyes with the way Mankins was destroyed by Tuck all night long. I thought he was contending with Steve Hutchinson as the best guard in football. Koppen looked helpless when someone lined up directly over him and bull-rushed and then looked confused at picking up the right blitzer. I didn't pay much attention to Neal before he got hurt, but Hochstein got absolutely bull-dozed on that final sack that essentially ended any hope of getting the tying FG.

I know the Giants' DL is great. I know they schemed a good blitz package. But seriously, they aren't the first team to bring that kind of rush. Heck, they brought it in the week 17 game and the Pats picked it up well. The poster who said the OL must have been out drinking all night Saturday might be on to something, for I thought the same thing. That was a piss-poor performance by a line that hadn't played that bad all year.

Regards,
Chris

Our pass D is what needs to be fixed. Get rid of hobbs and gay and bring in some guys who can do more than just tackle a receiver after giving him an easy completion. If asante wants the big $$$ let him go if possible, he's great at jumping routes but thats about it.

A quick question for anyone who knows more than I do: The Patriots normally line up Asante on the left side of the field and Hobbs on the right, it seems like it would make more sense to have Asante lineup against the other teams #1 reciever instead of the way we do it now. Do most teams use their corners the same way the patriots do?

too much focus on the OL

many times brady was holding the ball too long or not stepping out of trouble

Just a thought, but how successful could BB be with a 4-3 defensive front if he focused on Green, Seymour, Wilfork, and Warren as the front four? That would require less need of "smart" LBs. How would that change the secondary or would it never work with the Pats without too much rebuilding?

too much focus on the OL many times brady was holding the ball too long or not stepping out of trouble

I noticed this as well, particularly how unfluid (if that's a word) Brady looked in the pocket. The success of this Oline has been due in part to Brady's ability to slide out of trouble.

I'm thinking, Brady's denials to the contrary, that ankle was a problem last night.

As to the thread, after that blown int, it will not bother me to see Samuel go (that almost guarantees he stays).

Just a thought, but how successful could BB be with a 4-3 defensive front if he focused on Green, Seymour, Wilfork, and Warren as the front four? That would require less need of "smart" LBs. How would that change the secondary or would it never work with the Pats without too much rebuilding?

Very good point. It was brought up earlier in the year, but I just don't think BB believes it is as good a defense. He like the 3-4 with the soft coverage. It would be a lot easier to retool and play a 4-3. Not sure if going to see it though.

We would still need another DL for the rotation, but they would be easier to find than the LB's BB is looking for.

The secondary has not been able to make enough plays since Law and Poole left the team. Back in '03, their secondary was so good, it was a given that when opponents were faced with a third down, you could just chalk up a fouth down. Opponents could not move the ball on the secondary. If anything, the Pats would pick it off. That was the best secondary performance thoughout a season I have ever seen. With that said, I would not be surprised if Hobbs does not make the team next season. He makes plays but he gives up way too many. He was the Pats version of Jaques Reeves of the Cowboys. Hobbs was always a liability. Despite what people say about Gay, he is average and if the Pats keep him, he should be the 4th option at best. Samuel will probably leave. The seventh pick should be used on a top notch corner and maybe an offensive tackle in the second round. LB's is a must. I don't care if they get them in free agency or the draft, just get them. The defense needs an overhaul and Belichick is the first person that would tell you that. They need speed. Maybe teams will follow what the Giants do and draft speed rushers. Maybe the Pats draft and sign guys to make a transition back to 4-3. I say this because defenders are evolving into smaller, faster pass rushers. Their aren't too many guys that are big and can speed rush like the Giants. The Pats D-line is big but they just always seem to be a step too late. Maybe the Pats draft Gholston with the seventh pick and convert him to outside LB. LB's like Ware and Merriman don't come around too often. It's no secret that a pass rush kills any offense as witnessed last night. Who knows how the Giants defend next year if Strahan retires.

Last edited:
Did I read somewhere that Stephen Neal's injury may be serious enough to keep him out for the beginning of next year?

If that's the case, I'd move Kazcur to RG, Light to RT and Ryan Clady or Chris Williams to LT.

I prefer Thomas to play OLB too. Colvin must take a substantial paycut from his $5.5m base due or he'll be cut - we're too close to the cap. I'd like an ILB brought in during FA (Kawika Mitchell?).

I think Moss is gone. The long ball is not Brady's strength. I'd prefer more of a ball control offense that you can rely on in December and January and not just September and October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes