Welcome to PatsFans.com

Anyone watching the Democratic debate?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

If so, what do you think?
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

did Gore show up yet?

if not, who cares? they all suck... just not as bad as the crossdresser on the other side
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

No Gore. They're ganging up on Hillary. Biden is a funny guy. 30 minutes in and Richardson is talking for the first time. No Kucinich yet. It's cleary rigged to be a 3 person show.
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Is Richardson drunk? Biden is the best guy on stage tonight, by far.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

I'm not watching it. I just got in, but RW, NEM, and anyone else who watched, I'd be curious to know who you thought "won" (who did the best job selling him/herself to Democrats) and who you liked best.
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

It started off with some fireworks, and has quickly become a pep rally. Hillary gets the most applause for what it's worth, but I'm not sure anyone expected otherwise. She really can't answer any questions. Oh, today the wind was northerly again, cuz she said she's opposed to drivers licenses for illegals. :D
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Biden is the best guy, followed by Dodd surprisingly. I haven't been a real follower of Dodd, but he's really surprised me with some of his answers. The problem is, outside of the big 3, no one gets to speak. I can't believe how much of a bumbling idiot Richardson sounds like. He's clearly the Sam Brownback of the Dem side. Brownback was at least smart enough to quit already. What's sad, is Richardson was someone I was really interested in way back when people whispered he might run. Sheesh...:bricks:
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

White men? Just a coincidence? :D
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

That's right, they are white. :eek: I actually like Obama personally, as I think he's a very sincere guy, but those two were doing the best job tonight.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  10. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I heard it on Michael Savage... think I would of thrown up otherwise.
  11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

nonsense... he could mobilize and garner the entire black vote like nothing we've ever seen before, and that could easily tip the scales in many states... especially with this nation as polarized as it is...

you watch the caging list spring up next year if he ever won the Dem ticket... "what's that name? 'Reggie Brown?' that's a felon's name in Seminole County ... he can't vote... "
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Black people don't vote.
    Obama is a good man but a lousy politician. He is trying to be unclear and obtuse because he has been told to do so.
    No one can say with a straight face that racism is dead. In my town, A black guy who has been running for COuncil for 25 years has once again finished last. This man is perfect for the job. He's a liberal republican (fiscally conservative, socially liberal) who has spent his life in community service. He has done more for the city than all theb other elected officials and everyone knows his name but still comes in last. Blacks here could possibly have given him enough votes to win, but they stayed home. It's a micro-cosm of the political conditions nationwide.
  13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Run, AlGore, run!!! Please!!!!

//
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

I saw the last hour of the debate. Hillary is certainly the best politician of the group. She was attacked far more than the others, but handled it with grace and even eloquence. Her handling of the gender question was brilliant, turning it into a question about how the Democrats have not only a woman, but a black and Latino candidate as well and how proud she was to be part of this era of change.

Obama is just too damn serious, too much in the spirit of Gore and Kerry, and that won't work. Richardson was surprisingly good, his best performance to date, and he did less weaving than any of the others. For anyone who wants a nonpolitician, he comes closest. Biden and Dodd are blowhards, but they know what they're talking about and would be invaluable as part of any administration, but not as leaders. Kucinich was good as usual, but had so little time it was blatantly unfair.

That leaves Edwards, who talked passionately about poverty and about the corporate mentality that Hillary represents. Based on this debate, I'm leaning towards him in the primary, but think that Hillary is probably the one with the best chance of beating the Republican nominee.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Just like religious bigotry exists too. :(

Obama scared me last night with some of his views. The more he gets into specifics about what he believes, the more I realize how much we don't agree. His licenses for illegals was bad, but his answer on court appointments was disturbing. He said he's never appoint a judge that didn't believe in abortion, and he said he'd look for judges who were, and I'm not quoting, in the minority at some point in their lives. Hello? A judges job is not to use emotion, or too favor any specific position over another. A judges job isn't to play favorites with the minority. A judges job is to follow the law, as the law doesn't pick sides. Truly disturbing answer for me. The abortion bit is of concern because it shows that a litmus test of sorts will be given.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

They already vote 90% for democrats, and they only make up what, 14% of the population? How many of that 14% are of voting age, and how many of them are even registered/participate? The black vote would help, but it wouldn't tip any scales.
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

It's pretty obvious both conservatives and liberals have litmus' tests. It's just that not all of them admit it.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5io9hPCJThtd-0Y6IKiAI73ISq6PAD8SUB1C01
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Not surprisingly we see it differently. They started off with some fireworks, and then it quickly went to boredom mode. Hillary was handled with kit gloves. Edwards got undressed a few times for his votes for vertain trade pacts, and the war, while currently being critical of them. Biden & Dodd were the most stern in their responses. Biden's problem is he isn't assertive enough. He stis idly by and then throws in his schtick. He needs to do that more, cuz he's the strongest person on the stage. Dodd was surprisingly good I thought. I thought he gave his best performance to date. Richardson must have downed a 12-pack before he went on stage. He looked drunk at times. I can't believe he's the guy that most intrigued me 6+ months ago. He sounds like a total goof, and looks like a bobblehead doll when he speaks. Hillary is the suit. She's been so tutored it's comical. If people elect her, then they'll get what they deserve. She's so fony, and her answers are so prepared. She's going to get ripped to shreds in a national election by anyone not named Mitt Romney.
  19. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

Did you see Richardson in the second half? I thought he sounded very strong when talking about immigration and nuclear waste.

Edwards, Obama, and Hillary know how to hog the spotlight. I think that's why they talk so much, and I would bet the same is true of the leaders on the Republican side. Some of the lesser candidates merely answer the question and then shut up, but as someone once said, any kind of attention, even bad attention, is good.

I think you don't know enough people from the Midwest. A lot of them sound like Hillary. As I see it, Thompson and Giuliani are goofballs, Romney is reserved and formal like Hillary. McCain is probably the most natural seeming of the major candidates, with Richardson second.
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Oh, it's absolutely true about the front runners on the pub side. The problem is they don't hog the spotlight because they know how, they do so because the system is set up that way. Biden was making fun of that all night, but sadly, most people didn't pick up on it because they're in that 30-40%. They constantly go to the same couple of people. There was an instance, I think it was regarding Pakistan, where they said they were going to ask everyone, and yet they never asked Kucinich who had to go back to it when he was asked a separate question 10 minutes later. Hillary and Romney speak that way not because they're from the midwest, but because they're the Ken & Barbie of the 2008 election. Hillary isn't formal, she's fony. Northerly wind last night, as we saw a "no" on licenses for illegals. I still don't understand why they didn't push her on her flip flop there. She's toast against anyone but Romney. She won't be able to handle the attacks she's going to get in a heads up election.