PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone watch FSN last night? (Samuel related)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ope, sorry, I've corrected folks on the 8 years/80 million part of this deal so many times that I didn't do the math here! Sorry. Yes, at best it's a 7 year/64 million deal which is over 9 million/year. He'd have to be playing well to see the final two years, but the cap may be high enough then that those salaries won't be prohibitive.

Supposedly, the last 2 years are fake years. That is $25 million in salary. Take that from 80 and you get $55 million. Divide that by 6 and you get 9.167 million per year (avg.). Of course, his bonuses and such are over 22 million and that is in the 1st 2 years....

No.

Once the Pats placed the tag on Samuel, he counted against the cap. Once a team makes a tender offer, the amount of the tender counts against the cap even while the player has not signed the tender.
So the only way that money is NOT counted against the cap is if they pull the Franchise tag..and then let him make a FA deal...

Don't let the door hit you in the way out!

Asante...why don't you pull a Milloy and go fall off the football map for the rest of your career losing more games than you win.

So the only way that money is NOT counted against the cap is if they pull the Franchise tag..and then let him make a FA deal...

I finally figured out the cause of the confusion - me. ;)

I wrote "hold out". I should have written missed games.

Samuel's week 1 salary will count against the Patriots cap until the tender has been pulled or if not pulled he does not report for Week 1. The Pats will NOT get an automatic credit for that amount on their 2008 cap. They can then use the freed-up cap space to extend other players on their roster or to acquire players as injury replacements.

Supposedly, the last 2 years are fake years. That is $25 million in salary. Take that from 80 and you get $55 million. Divide that by 6 and you get 9.167 million per year (avg.). Of course, his bonuses and such are over 22 million and that is in the 1st 2 years....

Right, but the 2nd-to-last year (2013) is fake in that it probably won't be paid, the traditional sense of "fake". The last year is fake in that it's voided by the payment and so it doesn't exist anymore than I can jump to the moon--it bugs the hell out of me that the agent stuck that on there to make the contract look bigger than it is and that everyone in the media keeps calling it an 8 year deal! I know, I need to move on.

We'd miss him badly but, while I saw the show, I don't believe he's gonna just skip his $500K per game. Especially as we can Franchise him again next year at a low cost because any games he misses this year result in a credit next year.

Misss 10 games ? We get a $5M credit to the cap next year which makes his 20% increased Franchise contract cost us about $5M after the credit.

Why would it not cost the Pats the average of the 5 highest adjusted salary cap figures for CBs in 2007??

I would guess that the cornerbacks with the 5 highest adjusted salary cap figures in 2007 are
Clements
Bailey
Woodson
Surtain
Springs

I am guessing that it would take around $9.1 million to tag Samuel in 2008 even if he were to miss the 1st 10 games of the season.

Why would it not cost the Pats the average of the 5 highest adjusted salary cap figures for CBs in 2007??

I would guess that the cornerbacks with the 5 highest adjusted salary cap figures in 2007 are
Clements
Bailey
Woodson
Surtain
Springs

I am guessing that it would take around $9.1 million to tag Samuel in 2008 even if he were to miss the 1st 10 games of the season.

yes, but they would have and extra 4.6 mill from this year to use towards tagging him again next year. The "cost" to tag him this year is 7.8 mill out of a 120 mill cap. next year it will be 4.5mill (+the 4.6 carryover) out of a 125 mill cap. So the cost to keep him on the payroll next year as a percentage of the cap is cut signifigantly.

You're right it would. But if you look at Samuel by himself and we passed the 16 or 10 game proration of his cost this year into next year then we'd have the credit that would effectively pre pay his cap hit if we get the cap cost moved into next year as you outlined we could.

But, yeah, we could use that money on other players and Samuel would cost the full amount. I was just saying that if he doesn't report and we move the money to next year we have more money to play with next year to Franchise him again.

A player who is willing to sit and not practice is of little use to the team. Do you believe that he will be in shape. Do you really want him to play Game 2 and get injured? Barring a deal or a trade, I expect him to sit out one game and then report. I'd rather have the $7.9M in next year's cap.

mark

You're right it would. But if you look at Samuel by himself and we passed the 16 or 10 game proration of his cost this year into next year then we'd have the credit that would effectively pre pay his cap hit if we get the cap cost moved into next year as you outlined we could.

That is also presuming that players with NTLBE incentives do not reach them.

That is also presuming that players with NTLBE incentives do not reach them.
I'm confident the Patriots can manage that part correctly . . . assuming that, it would then just depend how they chose to spend the money - I'd use it to Franchise and trade him.

What I would do right now, though, if it's very acrimonious is trade him (assuming we could get a #1 minimum) and use the $8M or so in cap space that opens up to extend some of our (literal) big boys, Warren and Wilfork.

yes, but they would have and extra 4.6 mill from this year to use towards tagging him again next year.

This presumes
1.) that the Pats will not use the freed up cap space to extend players
2.) that the Pats will not use the freed up cap space to sign replacements for injured players
3.) that none of the players with NTBE incentives will reach them

The "cost" to tag him this year is 7.8 mill out of a 120 mill cap.
Actually the Pats adjusted cap is 113 million. Samuel is taking up 6.89% of it.
next year it will be 4.5mill (+the 4.6 carryover) out of a 125 mill cap. So the cost to keep him on the payroll next year as a percentage of the cap is cut signifigantly.

Next year's cap has been already announced for the league. It will be $116,134,000. 9.1 million out of $116,134,000 is 7.84%. The Pats' adjusted cap would have to be $132,000,000 for Samuel to take up a smaller percentage of the cap in 2006 than he does in 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back