PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone watch FSN last night? (Samuel related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanBruschi54

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
They had some Patriots beat reporter on there. Cant remember his name, but hes almost sure that theres a growing consensus that Samuel is not going to report to TC or play during the regular season if he is not given a multi year contract (to what he thinks hes worth) and if he is not given his worth he will ask to be traded or he will sit out the season.

He also believed that he will not sign the Franchise tender.

If true, it's more of an annoyance than anything else...

They had some Patriots beat reporter on there. Cant remember his name, but hes almost sure that theres a growing consensus that Samuel is not going to report to TC or play during the regular season if he is not given a multi year contract (to what he thinks hes worth) and if he is not given his worth he will ask to be traded or he will sit out the season.

He also believed that he will not sign the Franchise tender.
pretty stupid, we can put wilson at corner, we have gay, and we signed james, we hold all the cards , he shouldnt plan the pats he blame the players union

pretty stupid, we can put wilson at corner, we have gay, and we signed james, we hold all the cards , he shouldnt plan the pats he blame the players union

A Samuel less backfield makes our defense have a hole that it didnt have 2 months ago.

Hobbs and (best player here) is not better than Samuel and Hobbs.

Samuel put up great run support, PD and INT's last season. He was probably one of the top 5 CB's last year alone and without him is definitely a blow to our passing D.

Go look at our passing defense from last season it was remarkably good. Samuel had a big hand in that defense.

Agreed that the defense will not be as good without him BUT let's not confuse this with a Deion situation either. The Pats were caught with their pants down, so to speak, when it came to Deion and the wr position last year. Barring a rash of injures (gee, that never happens) in the defensive backfield, the Pats at least have the bodies to fill the hole.

Last edited:
We'd miss him badly but, while I saw the show, I don't believe he's gonna just skip his $500K per game. Especially as we can Franchise him again next year at a low cost because any games he misses this year result in a credit next year.

Misss 10 games ? We get a $5M credit to the cap next year which makes his 20% increased Franchise contract cost us about $5M after the credit.

We'd miss him badly but, while I saw the show, I don't believe he's gonna just skip his $500K per game. Especially as we can Franchise him again next year at a low cost because any games he misses this year result in a credit next year.

Misss 10 games ? We get a $5M credit to the cap next year which makes his 20% increased Franchise contract cost us about $5M after the credit.

Screw all of this and trade him for 2 firsts.;)

3 first rounders next year and two the following? This team would be set for DECADES!

;)

I don't get it, how can these guys sit out?

1. They lose $8 million.
2. They're right back where they started from next year.
3. Their value goes down.

What does he have to gain by doing this? The Patriots have as much to lose as they do of trading him. In other words, either way they don't get his services this year.

Sounds like a pretty idiotic plan by Asante, if you ask me.

Screw all of this and trade him for 2 firsts.;)
:)

I'd hate to lose him for this year - but it's nice to know that we can trade him, like with Branch, and almost certainly for something good as the acquiring team would get a really good player a full year before the draft pick(s) would be used.

Me ?

I want a #2 in 2008 and a #1 in 2008. Gives us a full double first day in 2008 and a head start into 2008. If it were with a playoff expectant team, I don't think that's an unreasonable price with the 2009 pick a full two years away from playing.

I not 100% positive and it may only apply to players under contract, but I seem to remember that if a player sits out like what is being reported, they don't get an accrued year and the same contract stipulations apply. In other words, Asante could own the Pats a year at the 7.79 million.

I think it would be very foolish for Asante to do that. Heck, if all he wanted was "DRE BLY" money, I say give it to him in a fair deal. Heck, have him bring all those "contract offers" he got from other teams that were better than what the Pats were offering and develop a contract from there.

I not 100% positive and it may only apply to players under contract, but I seem to remember that if a player sits out like what is being reported, they don't get an accrued year and the same contract stipulations apply. In other words, Asante could own the Pats a year at the 7.79 million.

I think it would be very foolish for Asante to do that. Heck, if all he wanted was "DRE BLY" money, I say give it to him in a fair deal. Heck, have him bring all those "contract offers" he got from other teams that were better than what the Pats were offering and develop a contract from there.

He wants Clements money.

He wants Clements money.

Since when? The last report said Dre Bly money.

Hell, Clements money isn't really Clements Money from the reports on the actual contract. The last 2 years are fake and they take like 30 mill or something off the contract.

The way Miguel explained it to me, if I understood, the Patriots would get a week by week credit for next year. They've paid him nothing but the money counts against the cap. So if he sat out the year, he'd get no money (but owe none as he wouldn't be paid). But the money counting against the '07 cap would be credited to '08. If he sits out 10 games, he only gets paid for the games he plays in and we get a week by week credit on the cap for games he misses. No idea on the accrued year.

Since when? The last report said Dre Bly money.

Hell, Clements money isn't really Clements Money from the reports on the actual contract. The last 2 years are fake and they take like 30 mill or something off the contract.

The Patriots reportedly offered 6 millionish a year and thats what Bly got. Samuel wants 8 million a year, what Clements is getting. That is Clements money.

A Samuel less backfield makes our defense have a hole that it didnt have 2 months ago.

Hobbs and (best player here) is not better than Samuel and Hobbs.

Samuel put up great run support, PD and INT's last season. He was probably one of the top 5 CB's last year alone and without him is definitely a blow to our passing D.

Go look at our passing defense from last season it was remarkably good. Samuel had a big hand in that defense.
thanks for the info i didnt realize he was that good i guess we will give him anything he wants, obviously we all want him here and he makes our d better!

The Patriots reportedly offered 6 millionish a year and thats what Bly got. Samuel wants 8 million a year, what Clements is getting. That is Clements money.
if we paid him clements money we would be insane hes had only one really good year, id let him sit out, he has no leverage and hes not worth that kind of dough

thanks for the info i didnt realize he was that good i guess we will give him anything he wants, obviously we all want him here and he makes our d better!
True, but our D also makes him that much better. I want him back, but does he not believe that it's in his best interests to stay with the Pats for one more year? I still don't believe he'll sit it out, but I also gave Branch more credit last year, so anything is possible. While I agree that our defense will take a hit if we lost Asante, I think we'll recover by mid-season and not even miss him, much like '04 when Law went down. IMO, that turned out pretty good!:cool:

Bly's contract was a 5 year, $33 million deal. 18 million of the deal is "bonus" money and 16 is guaranteed.

Clements deal is 8 years/ $80 million with 22.6 million guaranteed. The last two "fake" years pay him about 25.5 million so, that still makes it a 6yr/$55 million contract or 9.16 million a year.

No way that Samuel is worth that. If Samuel was smart, he'd sign a 3 year deal in the $19-$22 million (with about 9-10 guaranteed) range and then go for another large contract when he's 29.

I wasnt trying to be snippy or sarcastic. I was just saying that putting in Gay or James would not get the same production out of the backfield. Also Wilson at corner is very shaky because if you remember last year prior to his injury he was working the slot at times and we was not good. So putting him at corner is shakier than the other two options.

It sounds plausible and, if true, likely means that Samuel does nto suit up when they tee it up in Sept. Definitiely hurts boths sides. Lose-lose. He can still report for game 10 and get credit for the season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down