PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone think Wes Welker will be with us next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gronkandez signed up long term. Salas, Edes right behind him. He isn't getting any younger and certainly takes a beating. We all expect Lloyd to make an impact (no spring chicken in his own), and with all the tes and fbs I think it reasonable to say they would like to move away from relying on the pass as much as they do.

Gronkandez work the middle pretty damn effectively. Do we really need a top shelf slot option or would that money be better spent on an outside the numbers type? I just don't think it makes sense to invest much more cap space in the short-intermediate passing game. I love Wes as much as the next guy, but I don't see him getting paid next year...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Welker had the 19th best receiving yardage season in NFL history last year with Gronk and Hernandez 'working the middle'.

Salas and Edelman should be more worried about getting on the field than replacing the guy who has caught more passes in his 5 years here than anyone ever has.

I'd like someone to point out to me what Salas and Edelman have done in the NFL to supplant potentially the game's greatest slot receiver of all time.

Last edited:
I'd like someone to point out to me what Salas and Edelman have done in the NFL to supplant potentially the game's greatest slot receiver of all time.
It will eb a business decision. Does his cost outweigh his value (to BB).

So far, each side knows where the other stands. BB is trying toi be prepared and line up options. WW knows he'll have options, but will the price be right (and yes a Happy Gilmore embedded link would go nicely here).

In before an epic Ivan meltdown.. ;)

Maybe someone can list us a few examples of a Player coming to terms with a team after being unable to do so and being franchise tagged.

If there aren't any, I'm not seeing him back next year.

Terrell Suggs

Franchised Feb 2008 played under tag
Franchised Feb 2009
new deal 7/15/09

Asomugha
Franchised 2008 played under tag
signed a new deal Feb 2009

Richard Seymour
Franchised 2010 played under 1 yr deal
new deal in Feb 2011

Lance Briggs
franchised 2007 played under 1 yr deal
Mar 2008 new deal

Jordan Gross
franchised 2008 played under deal
new deal Feb 2009

Last edited:

exactly time to trade brady and let mallet run the offense. the saving will be tremdous.

BB is the highest paid coach too can you imagine if he is let go so Kraft can save a tonne . you can replace him for pennys by josh or pepper johnson.

So far, each side knows where the other stands. BB is trying toi be prepared and line up options. WW knows he'll have options, but will the price be right (and yes a Happy Gilmore embedded link would go nicely here).
Welker is Brady's favourite target. Until he shows signs of slowing down (that may occur this season) I see no reason for him to be playing anywhere else.

The Pats are on the Championship precipice. That window needs to stay open whilst Brady is at the helm.

Last edited:
Well, when the next best slot receiver (Victor Cruz) in the league drops 4 balls on opening day then I sure hope the best slot receiver in the league is with the Patriots for a few more years.

It'll be Wes's call. The Patriots will offer him something and he'll counter offer. Then the Patriots offer the same thing again. He'll counter offer, then the Patriots offer the same thing again. If he threatens to walk the Patriots say, "OK, we'll give you a good reference."

It'll be Wes's call. The Patriots will offer him something and he'll counter offer. Then the Patriots offer the same thing again. He'll counter offer, then the Patriots offer the same thing again. If he threatens to walk the Patriots say, "OK, we'll give you a good reference."

Or they Franchise him again

FWIW...assuming Wes remains productive ( seems to me he certainly will), then I have yet to be convinced that he wont be playing in Foxboro.

Whether we franchise him again or sign him to a new long term deal - there is simply no reason to let him leave.

I am not only full of hope but I also have actual expectations that he returns.

One thing that is a constant with BB, without a good deal in terms of compensation (player trade (rare) or high draft pick (most likely)), he just doesn't let talent walk away and excel elsewhere.

Welker is Brady's favourite target. Until he shows signs of slowing down (that may occur this season) I see no reason for him to be playing anywhere else.

The Pats are on the Championship precipice. That window needs to stay open whilst Brady is at the helm.
I entirely agree. My point was that emotions won't rule BB's decision. Though there are 2 people who need to make a decision here. And obviously we value welker because he's getting paid 9.5 million to play.

The sides were apparently far enough apart a deal didn't get done and someone would probably be willing to overpay Welker. But, I think his ability/style of play is perfectly suited to Brady. I think he'd be successful anywhere else, but he's best here.

I entirely agree. My point was that emotions won't rule BB's decision. Though there are 2 people who need to make a decision here. And obviously we value welker because he's getting paid 9.5 million to play.

The sides were apparently far enough apart a deal didn't get done and someone would probably be willing to overpay Welker. But, I think his ability/style of play is perfectly suited to Brady. I think he'd be successful anywhere else, but he's best here.
I agree and I'd be interested to see what the accounting differential between the Patriots and Welker's representation amounted too (not that we will).

The problem with Welker is I can see some other contender picking him up (if he's allowed to walk). Watching him go against the Patriots D would be devastating. It doesn't seem right to think he'd be catching passes from anyone other than a Patriots QB.

Last edited:
If the Pats offered 2 years at 16M like reported, Wes should of taken it, if he really wanted to stay. Being one year older next year, I can't really see them offering 8M or more, and certainly don't see them offering a multi year deal.

I think we will see what Salas and Edelman can do this year, and based on how they perform will determine Welker's leverage for a deal.

Welker >>>> Vollmer (chronic back issues)

Welker >>>> Edelman (punt returner)

Welker >>>> Woodhead (Vereen, Ridley, Bolden, Demps, Larsen under contract for 2013)

Welker is the straw that stirs the drink in the New England Patriots passing attack.

He will be here. He is not going to be successful at his current level in any other situation. He knows how fortunate he is to play with Brady and in this scheme.

The team will give him 2-3 years at 7-8 million and both sides will be happy.

Not unless he becomes a TE :D

The contract extensions for AH and Gronk provide more certainty for the cap over the next couple of years and increases the chances they can extend him.

I think we will see what Salas and Edelman can do this year, and based on how they perform will determine Welker's leverage for a deal.

i think regardless of what they do he is gone. He will put up great #s again this year..and want a **** ton $$..but also be 1 year older..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes