Welcome to PatsFans.com

Anyone think Romney won't be McCain's choice ?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, Aug 25, 2008.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +695 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Pawlenty seems out as he's not tough enough to stand up to Biden. The "kid" from Louisiana seems to have taken himself out - I love him, too bad. Ridge, Lieberman, Guiliani are pro choice which seems to eliminate them. Huckabee is possible but probably a little too far on the religious side.

I think there's a lot of good choices but it seems like Romney is more than the odds on favorite.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

Romney seems to be the fave, but have to wonder if the "maverick" will stick it to all of them and pick Lieberman, after all it would be good for the Fla. Vote.

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

I would favor Palin, Portman or Jindal but I don't think any of them would be the choice.

4. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

It'll be Romney.

5. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

IMO Romney would make the best vice president, and an able President.

However, despite his many virtues, his "brand" was damaged by both left and right during the primary process.

I think of Romney as an able executive and a great family man who did the best possible job in the intolerable conditions of MA state government. He demonstrated real political courage in forcing the budget crisis and rescuing the state from financial disaster. He is a good public speaker and a moral man.

However, the way the rest of the country views him is as a slick ken doll cultist flip-flopper rich guy. The Dems were worried about him as an up and comer, so they laid the ground work on him in the press, and McCain and Huckabee tag teamed him as a phony and a liberal.

The more you see of him, the more you like Romney IMO. But he is a bit polarizing, and not really a "safe" pick anymore.

If Obama does NOT get the expected bounce from the Dem convention, McCain will probablt play it safe with a less polarizing candidate than Romney. My guess is Pawlenty.

If Obama has a great convention and reenergizes his base, and the Hillary crowd seem to come home to him...

Then McCain may take Romney because he has a devoted following and strong organization at the grassroots level that can help get out the vote in Nevada, Colorado, Michigan and NH.

6. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Or Tim Pawlenty, the Governor of Minnesota. They had him here in Pennsylvania over the weekend doing the local political shows and on the stump. Was it a test run for the fall? It's been said that PA,OH and MI are battleground states and Pawlenty has the same blue collar background as Biden (some would say Pawlenty has kept his though) important with the rural and suburban voters. He's got executive experience and none of the negatives associated with Romney, Gulliani or others mentioned.

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +475 / 18 / -17

I think Pawlenty is the frontrunner, but I don't know as much about the Republicans as I do about the Democrats.

Romney has some negatives:
    - A number of conservative Christians seem uncomfortable with the Mormon faith
    - He was a harsh critic of McCain during the primary, and choosing him would make it easier for Democrats to counter Republican ads that use Biden's words against Obama
    - Both Romney and McCain are very wealthy, so it would only serve to strengthen the Democratic attack that they are out of touch and weaken the Republican claim that Obama is elitist
    - Romney's record as a governor, with the Big Dig and gay marriage, will be easy to attack (fairly or unfairly).

On the other hand, Romney has a sizeable constituency, including in Michigan, a key swing stage; he is handsome and well-spoken, and he shores up McCain's economic credentials just as Biden shores up Obama's foreign policy credentials.

Pawlenty, on the other hand, is a popular governor, the possible face of the future, a staunch McCain supporter, considered very likeable, and quite conservative. I'm not sure what his negatives are. Even if he actually lost the debate with Biden, it wouldn't be that big a deal given that there's only one VP debate, and it probably takes place well before the election.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Mccain has no other choice, Romney is the only decent one left from the sorry a$s group those republican morons put up there, they seem to want to lose this election.

Obooma is your next President it will be very hard to beat the MTV crowd and all the Politically Correct loons.

Morman--------Bad
    Muslim---------Good

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +821 / 7 / -2

If McLame want's to really take a shot at winning, then he'll pick Romney. He's a gamble in some senses (evangelicals/flipper of sorts), but he's the guy the block percieves as most conservative. McLame appeals to moderates, Romney to the base. The safe pick is the snooze fester Pawlenty. He may help in some battleground states, has executive experience too, but he doesn't add much excitement to the ticket. The wild card pick is Palin from Alaska. She adds nothing to any battleground battle, but is a mom, a conservative, and has executive experience. Were she from anywhere but Alaska, she'd probably be the choice. However, she does nothing to help in PA, MI, OH, etc. so she's unlikely to be the choice. I honestly can't see MCLame doing anything but holding his nose, and picking Romney. Sure there are negatives to his selection, but it's a gamble that McLame has to take if he wants to win.

Think about it this way. When undecided, or loosly aligned voters, look at the two tickets, whom do you think they would feel more comfortable with? An all legislative, senatorial ticket that has worked a grand total of maybe 10 years in the private sector in their lives, with ZERO executive experience to speak of, or a McLame/Romney ticket, that has everything covered from Geritol to Depends? Romney is a much more well known than Pawlenty, and McLame needs the excitement that such a selection would bring. I think Romney, via perception, and not necessarily reality, gives McLame the best chance to win.

10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,758 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Polls show that up to 60% of America consider themselves conservative. McCain cannot take a chance of alienating any of them. Lieberman is a riskier pick but safer in terms of political backlash ... we'll soon see.

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

Betcha 60% of these 60% do not understand what conservatism is.. maybe it is anti abortion, maybe it is pro war, maybe it is pro big oil.. to say you are a conservative means many things.

The thing about Romney is that he is true blueblood.. he got deferments during Viet Nam for knocking on doors in France and handing out bibles.. I think this will come into play during this election if he is indeed the guy. Maybe it is the grecian formula or maybe it is his comments about his sons in service to his country while campaigning for him, but there is something about him I loathe..

12. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +115 / 10 / -15

#37 Jersey

Well Biden is a draft doger, also, so I doubt that will be an issue.

And unlike Biden he has had a private sector job, Biden has been in the senate since 1972, gimme a break.

I don't care for Romney, but when you look at the alternative, Romney looks a lot better.

13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

Interestingly enough cannot find any details of Joe Biden one way or another, I suspect from the limited info on him during that time that he may have had a marital deferment during the height of Viet Nam.. same as Richard Cheney.

Not sure how Romney looks better, maybe prettier... he is what he is a carpet bagging blue blood, who has little knowledge of what regular folks go through.

14. PatsFanInEaglesLand

Ratings:
    +115 / 10 / -15

#37 Jersey

:rolleyes:

How does being a senator for more than half your life give you any kind of knowledge of what it is like to work for a living.

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

Humble roots make a big difference, rather than going through life with everything given to you..

16. PatsFanInEaglesLand

Ratings:
    +115 / 10 / -15

#37 Jersey

We will have to agree to disagree that any politician who was been in office long enough, has any clue what it is to work 40+hours a week/49-50 weeks a year.

I will say this, Obama, McCain nor Romney along with Biden don't know what it is like to be a working stiff, either.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  17. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,758 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

If I were McCain I would not pick Romney.

18. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Romney is the odds on favorite but let me throw out 2 names rarely mentioned that I think have merit.

Tommy Thompson- former Gov of WI and former HHS director.

Gen. Petreaus- Very close to McCain. Has previously stated to have no political ambitions but if anyone could sway him it would be McCain. A Biden-Petreaus debate may actually outdraw the Obama-McCain debates.

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Biden, a slick professional politician, they are the scum of the earth, just as Cheney, Clinton's, Bush's, Pelosi's and dirty filthy rotten Kennedy's are, now we have a brand new one,
    The Great Messiah Prince, Jug Ears Barack Hussein Obama.

I suggest,
    Pick what you think to be the best of the wretched lot, then go vote for them, I'm staying home, this is one election I don't care who wins, Obooma will be more fun.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  20. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,758 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

There is no question in my mind that Obama will energize America into talking politics and getting involved in both pro and con ways. A McCain Presidency will be different than Bush but more in a mundane type of way. Obama's inexperience will have people watching and paying attention more. If nothing else the next Presidential election could be the best ever. I thought it would be this election but I was wrong. Perhaps it will happen next election where we have a choice between 2 great candidates as opposed to the two that survived.